ADVERTISEMENT

09 Team

Oct 26, 2017
Buddy of mine has a college basketball twitter account. Doing a bracket of the best teams since 05, and the 09 squad is in the final four vs ‘11 Uconn. Uconn is currently leading the vote. Go vote for the heels!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I think most Carolina fans knew 2009 was never in doubt and we were mostly coasting through the regular season because all we cared about was the tournament but if you remember back to 2009 the media was definitely not crowning us at all

i feel like everyone was drinking the big east kool aid. Outside of Barack Obama i feel like everyone was picking either Pitt, UConn, or Louisville to win the ship. Hell I remember Sports Illustrated picking Gonzaga to beat us in the Sweet 16. Its funny looking back, our 2008 team was surely good enough to win the whole thing and I honestly think we lost to Kansas just because of it being Roy’s first game against them and being such an emotional weight on him. But the fact that we had a good enough team to win it in 2008 and brought back virtually the same team and added 3 McD AA’s to bring off the bench made 2009 a done deal imo it was just a matter of them turning on the switch come tournament time. Outside of LSU giving us a run at the beginning of the second half that whole tournament was a breeze and we werent exactly playing cupcakes. I think Pitt would have given us a better game than Nova and UConn or LVille would have been a tougher game than a Michigan State team that didnt have the horses to matchup with us but guess what? We took care of business and they didnt

Also rewatching the 2005 tournament this weekend its funny how the media also was drinking the Illinois kool aid. They played in a weak conference (evident by us handling 3 Big Ten teams rather easily through the first 5 games of the tourney) and werent really challenged all season outside of them beating Chris Paul and Wake early in the year. We were the first team they played all season more talented than them and they were fortunate that the refs started letting them get away with moving screens otherwise we win that game going away (we were up 15 in the second half before that happened) That Illinois team had 3 really good guards but they werent any better than our trio of Felton, McCants and our lockdown defender Jackie Manual. David Noel and Melvin Scott were solid veterans off the bench too. The difference in that game and honestly any game that those teams would have played against eachother in is that their frontcourt of Augustine, Powell and Ingram had no business trying to matchup with May, Jawad and Marvin. Illinois could have certainly shot from the perimeter better but they were never going to be able to keep May from dominating

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
I am 50 years old and a Tar Heel gan since 1981. 2009 team was the best Carolina team in my lifetime, and hence the best Carolina team evrr. I think the 2009 UNC team, 1996 UK team are the two best teams in the NCAA last 25 years.

Finals of the poll going on right now, 09 Heels against ‘13 Michigan who upset 2012 Kentucky in the semifinals. Vote for the heels!

I am 50 years old and a Tar Heel gan since 1981. 2009 team was the best Carolina team in my lifetime, and hence the best Carolina team evrr. I think the 2009 UNC team, 1996 UK team are the two best teams in the NCAA last 25 years.

Not the 82 team? I think they are very close on my mind. 09 did dominate. Lawson was unbelievable.

Not the 82 team? I think they are very close on my mind. 09 did dominate. Lawson was unbelievable.

I think '09 was the most dominate in recent history. When that team was on they just could not be stopped, and Lawson and Hans gave Roy two studs ideally suited to the key positions in his style of play.

'82 just had unbelievable talent but the game was played very different. The game then was still interior dominated and that '82 team went through two of college basketball's best centers (Sampson and Ewing). If '82 and '09 went head to head I would have to give the coaching edge (albeit slight) to '82 Heels.

I agree. Just researched the 82 game. Looked a lot different than today's game. I think three big changes have happened.

Three point line.

Shortening the shot clock.

The biggest in my opinion is AAU/one and done mentality.

Today has better athletes that train year round but rely on that athletic ability more and fundamentals less. Maybe there is less time after all the workouts, I don't know.

Reactions: tarwhiz
2007 Florida Gators were pretty darn good. I’d put them second to that ‘09 UNC team.

Last edited:
2007 Florida Gators were pretty darn good. I’d put them second to that ‘09 UNC team.

Coached by "hair product" Donovan.

Love that '82 team. Love the '09 team too. Which format do we go with to simulate head to head? As pointed out above '82 was suited to the longer clock, all those guys could handle the ball. What happens if we speed them up to '09 pace? James & Sam and our guards could run. But it sure seemed all of '09 could run too. Tough call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT