ADVERTISEMENT

100-95!

FlaTarHeel

Hall of Famer
Feb 21, 2017
D2 powerhouse Barry University from down my way knocked off Auburn earlier tonight.

“It was good exposure for us. It showed us a lot of our weaknesses,” Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said.

“Because it’s a D-II opponent, people are going to look at that and go, ‘Oh, wow,’” Pearl said. “I coached in Div. II for nine years and I can tell you that high level Div. II basketball is better than low Div. I. The players are better — they’re older, more experienced. That was an NCAA team from a year ago.”

FYI, Barry is coached by former Dean Smith student asst Butch Estes.

Thoughts Gary?

:p

I think this was less of a dig on Auburn, & more of plug for Barton, since so many of our fans were wigging out because we only beat Barton by 9. At least that's the way I took it. DII schools can play.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
When's the last year unc played a D2 team that stayed within single digits?

Dook beat the defending D2 champs by more than 30. Pearl is just saying that about these teams to soften the blow a little, I guess. But his statement is false.

Talk about unintended consequences! Exhibitions are supposed to give your guys a workout and let them get the feel for the speed of college bball. They are NOT supposed to give you a scare and a coach should be very careful that his excuses don't blow back on his team. Pearl has never been great at thinking before speaking and this is another example!

Dook beat the defending D2 champs by more than 30. Pearl is just saying that about these teams to soften the blow a little, I guess. But his statement is false.
Who returns 1 starter, but yeah go ahead and send dook the national title trophy.

I think this was less of a dig on Auburn, & more of plug for Barton, since so many of our fans were wigging out because we only beat Barton by 9. At least that's the way I took it. DII schools can play.
You would be correct.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND

Dook beat the defending D2 champs by more than 30. Pearl is just saying that about these teams to soften the blow a little, I guess. But hisa statement is false.
Stayed? You tell us. And as we all know, even in a game like this K will play 6 or 7 guys.

How are D2 teams "older and more experienced" than low-level D1 teams? That doesn't make a bit of sense.

Stayed? You tell us. And as we all know, even in a game like this K will play 6 or 7 guys.
K definitely doesn't like to use his bench much but they actually had no starters in with around 8 minutes to play in that game and played a 9 man rotation before that. IMO there isn't much to take away from these exhibition games, coaches play with rotations, lineups, defensive schemes, etc. it's a glorified practice/scrimmage and to overreact one way or the other is kind of silly.

How are D2 teams "older and more experienced" than low-level D1 teams? That doesn't make a bit of sense.

lol. Thank you. Let me preface by saying I in no way am panicking after Barton played us relatively close for what the game was. But to pretend that any of these D2 would be competitive at all at the division one level is laughable .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT