ADVERTISEMENT

12 years ago today

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
Roy Williams became Carolina's Head basketball coach

Thank you Coach for 12 great years and here's to twelve more .

We are very lucky to have you.

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

I'm BillyL and I endorse this post.

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

+1
Where he has always ultimately belonged.
I remember scouring the web and picking up an internet broadcast from a Kansas radio station to make sure he got on the plane. That was the day Carolina Basketball was back.

+2 He is what being a Tar Heel is all about. Cant help but think of how proud Coach Smith would be. People can bash Roy all they want but he is exactly where he needs to be and I stand behind the man 110%.

Will he stay or will he go? Who could ever forget that drama 12 years ago. Coach Williams just looked so incredibly stressed out during that time.

2 things I don't remember all that well, so those in the know please refresh my memory:

1) Would Roy have taken the job in 1997? Why wasn't it offered to him? We all know what happened in 2000. Imagine where this program would be if Roy did take over in '97

2) How did Roy ultimately make his decision to come to UNC in 2003? It's my understand that Roy finally made his decision on a plane ride. He was going back and forth and said when this plane lands, whatever school I'm leaning towards is where I'm going. I also know Roy and the Kansas AD at that time didn't get along.

This post was edited on 4/14 4:51 PM by CarolinaBlue1982

That time flew by! Lucky we didn't get Gottfried, etc.
smokin.r191677.gif

The question was inappropriate at the time. Roy had just lost a Natty because his players couldn't shoot from 15 feet unguarded. He had done his job and it still was not enough. However, after he made that quick, angry statement (asked by CBS, no less) I absolutely thought that he would NOT EVER be able to face Coach Smith again UNLESS he came back home. Seven days later he did just that. Then from 2005 until 2009 UNC Basketball was indeed Number ONE in all of college basketball! We owe the man. Literally.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT