ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Defense, and Looking Forward

uncboy10

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 14, 2008
Well first of all it's a shame that the offense couldn't get it done in the red zone. That game was served up on a silver platter, and its because the defense played a great game. Aside from the one big mistake on the long run, and the dropped pick 6 (which also could be said cost us the game) they seriously impressed me. Obviously USuCk's offense isn't going to set the world on fire, but compared to the lack of physicality and fundamentals we saw in 2014, dramatic improvements were pretty obvious. The tackling was like night and day, and the d-line looked way better than I expected.

Also, I think its important to remember that the defense should continue to improve week by week, and they have another 3 weeks to improve before conference play begins. I've said all summer that if the defense could even be average, the Coastal crown would go to UNC. Well I think it's already pretty close average in the ACC, and could even be pretty good by the end of the year.

As @Raising Heel pointed out in another thread, Quise and the rest of the offense were actually pretty much lights out in the red zone last year. Thursday night was painful, but the sky isn't falling quite yet. Assuming we stick with Quise, IMO the coaches need to tell him to be less hesitant to run in the red zone. If he doesn't have an open guy on his first or second read just tuck it and try to make a play. That's what made him so dangerous in the red zone last year.

Aside from that red zone problem and dumb penalties Thursday night, I thought the offense looked pretty good. The jet sweeps to get the ball to Switzer were effective, Quise made some big time throws under pressure, Bug went off and Mr. Elijah Hood had his coming out party like many expected. #34 is good enough to win games on his own, and I think the coaches will definitely know that know after going back and watching the film. There's no doubt in my mind who will be getting the ball on the next first and goal from the 9. Those things all being said, I definitely think Carolina can win the Coastal in 2015. The division is wide open and the best team has the hardest schedule. The next three games are like pre-season games in a way now. Make the improvements we need and be ready to beat GT in ATL to start out conference play. Then there's three more very winnable games.

Oh and Larry, please take over the play calling.

Last edited:
agree with the defense being improved...i appreciate the fact that in the 4th qtr they were still as physical and still as emotionally charged up as they were in the 1st qtr...i really think this d-line, the entire 2 deep can be a huge asset this year...good to see corners defend with technique and not get flagged...also, very impressed with their physicality.

as far as looking forward, i really want to be talked about the next three weeks as being the team that doesn't let up on their opponent...whatever larry has to do to instill confidence on the offensive side, even if it's trying to get 50 ppg, is fine by me.

Reactions: Raising Heel
agree with the defense being improved...i appreciate the fact that in the 4th qtr they were still as physical and still as emotionally charged up as they were in the 1st qtr...i really think this d-line, the entire 2 deep can be a huge asset this year...good to see corners defend with technique and not get flagged...also, very impressed with their physicality.

as far as looking forward, i really want to be talked about the next three weeks as being the team that doesn't let up on their opponent...whatever larry has to do to instill confidence on the offensive side, even if it's trying to get 50 ppg, is fine by me.

Definitely. The offense has got to find a rhythm and get some consistency before ACC play kicks up. This unit can put up huge numbers if they just get out of their own way.

Biggest thing I saw was the hitting and knocking the crap out of people....Also was happy with the FG unit as well...If Quise just throws the ball away in the red zone we win by kicking 2 FG...Not happy with the L in a game where UNC outplayed SC but it's the 1st game and I am no where near the edge of the cliff....Lots of football left....Also while we have 3 games before the trip to Ga Tech...Illinois will be no pushover....

Reactions: Raising Heel
The only thing I saw that the D needs to fix is the left side of the defense. USCjr seemed to have there biggest success running to that side of our D. The long TD run was just the perfect call against the play we called. But even before that they ran the ball very well that way

The only thing I saw that the D needs to fix is the left side of the defense. USCjr seemed to have there biggest success running to that side of our D. The long TD run was just the perfect call against the play we called. But even before that they ran the ball very well that way

Who are the guys on the left side....

Who are the guys on the left side....
I know the LBs are Collins and Jackson. They need to learn to shed there blockers better. On the read the DE is really in no mans land. The QB reads him. And with what he does determines if he gives it to the RB. Or keeps it. They have 3 games to get that figured out before GT.

Conner of Pitt out for season with torn MCL changes things in division.

SC was pulling multiple lineman on each of those plays. We were slow to adjust. Then when we finally brought Donnie Miles into the box, he got too far up field and took himself out of the play. With no safety back and at a numbers disadvantage, they broke the game winner. Not sure how you fix that.

No one the long TD run your right. Plus the DL slanted to the right. That play was just the perfect call at the right time by USC. But they ran that way with the same play with success the whole or most of the second half. Now I will also say are D was on the field a lot that game. Could be just getting worn down late also. Look at the TOP. But we overall looked a lot better.

Conner of Pitt out for season with torn MCL changes things in division.
Doesn't change things too much. GT is still the team to beat. Luckily they have to play FSU and Clemson, and usually slip up in one "WTF" loss per season.

As for the defense, let me start by saying I am encouraged by what I saw against SCar. You can already see the work (DB Coach) Charlton Warren has put in -- the DB's defended long passes well and, in general, there was very few long passing plays (in the air) from what I remember.

However...I'm not ready to "feel good" about the defense just yet. Let's call a spade a spade: SCar was hot trash in that game. Their offense was horrendous except for their run game. They had to use wildcat because Mitch is so lousy right now. So I don't think that one game is sure-fire proof that the defense is a lot better. The lack of pass rush is still a big concern for me. Nothing makes me more uneasy than a QB given all day to throw; corners and backers just can't cover receivers that long.

The progress report game will obviously be Georgia Tech.

I thought Illinois might be a good progress report game. But get this. They scored 52 points...on only 342 yards of offense.

How do you even do that? I thought surely they had some defensive TDs but no. Kent State went 3-and-out or turned it over on their first three drives and Illinois scored each time. Then when Kent State finally got a stop, they fumbled the punt return.

Three of Illinois' first four possessions of the game started on the KSU 38, KSU 34, and KSU 28.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT