ADVERTISEMENT

2016 recruiting

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
4 of top 10 in state have already committed out of state. 2 to Tennessee , they are making a living in our state. On another note Tenn has spent more on recruiting than any other team in the SEC from 2008-2013.

Tennessee has always made a living in N.C. It isn't that hard to understand why. Let's review:

- Unless you're from like extreme Eastern and Northeastern N.C. (ok, I know Havelock is), you're either 5 hours or less from Knoxville, so they can still claim to be a "local" school for recruits -- won't be a terrible drive for your family.
- The allure of the SEC. Do not underestimate this, ever, ever, ever. It is a football league that is constantly on primetime national TV. You can't put a price on this. You think recruits love Columbia, S.C. or Lexington, K.Y. (for football) ? Probably not so much; they love that those schools are in the SEC
- You will be royalty in Knoxville if you play for the Vols. This isn't the case with N.C. schools, unless you're the team's star player, and even then, maybe not.

How does Carolina combat this? WIN. Just win. Every ill we continue to face will go away if we win.

Tennessee is trying to plant its flag east of I-95... Jacksonville/Havelock/Wilmington...showing up just like NCSU UNC recruiting kids

Clemson and tenn are closer for the majority of players in wnc for one thing. Add to that the demographic of the region (which i grew up in) which is more blue collar, tobacco raising, agriculture type of people ftmp. Rocky top, moonshine and hound dogs are much more appealing to the mtn boys than the med research, fast paced progressive attitude of the triangle.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Clemson and tenn are closer for the majority of players in wnc for one thing. Add to that the demographic of the region (which i grew up in) which is more blue collar, tobacco raising, agriculture type of people ftmp. Rocky top, moonshine and hound dogs are much more appealing to the mtn boys than the med research, fast paced progressive attitude of the triangle.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
All of what you say is true. But it doesn't change the fact the vast majority of the talent in this state comes from I-77 and Eastwards (plus all of Charlotte and its suburbs).

WNC isn't a talent hotbed. Are residents of that area more likely to pull for Tennessee and Clemson? Yes.

Clem already has commits from Cornell Powell from Greenville a 4* and Sean Pollard from So. Pines a high 3* and the beat goes on.

Clem also got a commit from 5* and #2 rated RB in the nation for 2016 from Spartanburg Tavien Feaster. Great start.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by carolina4lyfe:
Lets not fool ourselves.. Clemson is our biggest out of state threat
I think we can all agree that orange is ugly.
That is indeed the truth. I come to hate UVA every time I see them in orange. Miami in orange just seems more trashy than Miami in green. VT in orange looks like a bad joke.

^^ agreed on Miami. Those green jerseys they were wearing as their primary home jerseys (during the Butch then early Coker era) were sick!!! Then they lost to Ohio State and didn't go back to the green for a long while.

Robert Washington leaning to Syracuse??? This makes no sense at all.
Not unless he has family near there or some kinsman played there or he adores the legacy of Cuse #44.

or like Surrat, he intends to try his hand at basketball and Boeheim wants him.

^^ agreed on Miami. Those green jerseys they were wearing as their primary home jerseys (during the Butch then early Coker era) were sick!!! Then they lost to Ohio State and didn't go back to the green for a long while.

And they faltered and have never gotten back to form.

Orange is an awful color. The only orange I can stand is Texas burnt orange because it is so dark it is almost not orange.

The state of NC is loaded with 2016 talent ...Michigan has just offered Jimmie Taylor DE/LB along with UVA...out of state programs are in the state with a strong effort

North Carolina has athletes that are attractive to P5 programs...2016 four star Josh Brown from Charlotte has committed to FSU and will join Cason Beaty (Charlotte) and Arthur Williams (Fayetteville) on their roster,

VT took three NC kids last year,

North Carolina has athletes that are attractive to P5 programs...2016 four star Josh Brown from Charlotte has committed to FSU and will join Cason Beaty (Charlotte) and Arthur Williams (Fayetteville) on their roster,

VT took three NC kids last year,
In all three cases kids we passed on.

Winning changes everything ... I think to get the local kids attention you all will have to run the ball ((they know your O slings it)) and have a stingy D that doesn't allow points easily ... recruits will notice improvement ... recruiting is crazy and I think if UNC shows improvement then they will have another good class and just might flip some kids.

on another note ... just my opinion here but I think coaches these days have to throw out a ton of offers ... it never hurts to go into GA, TN, AL, FL and try your luck ... UNC has the staff to do this

In all three cases kids we passed on.
Not in the loop on these cases you mention(VT) ...but the staff/and many other schools are quick to get out they have lost interest in a kid when it seems the kid is going to leave the state/or head to another program ...so it does not look like a lost recruit/that has been recruited for a long time(invested in)...a lot of schools do this reference school recruits (the term back off on the prospect) seems to be used a lot...PR to make it appear the school has not been shunned....Bama is huge with this though when they lose a 5 star they have another one interested

Reactions: nolegeorge
Winning changes everything ... I think to get the local kids attention you all will have to run the ball ((they know your O slings it)) and have a stingy D that doesn't allow points easily ... recruits will notice improvement ... recruiting is crazy and I think if UNC shows improvement then they will have another good class and just might flip some kids.

on another note ... just my opinion here but I think coaches these days have to throw out a ton of offers ... it never hurts to go into GA, TN, AL, FL and try your luck ... UNC has the staff to do this

WE must receruit widely. Not just because other schools come into NC and work hard, but because especially post-Scandal we must be more vigilant about not signing guys who are fairly significant academic and/or moral risks. There might be a 4 star from Charlotte we could sign if we work him hard enoughm but who is a disaster waiting to happen. We are much better off signing the 3 star from TN or OH or NJ who is a solid student and citizen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT