ADVERTISEMENT

2019 ACC / Big 10 Challenge

Wait, we get a home game in the challenge AND dook has to go to East Lansing??? That's not possible. The Heels NEVER play at home and dook NEVER plays a true road game.

Yah... that has to be an error. We may want to double check that. Duke in a true road game before ACC play is unheard of...

Coach ratty, in an awesome display of magnanimity, has reluctantly agreed to move his game with MSU to the Little Caesar's Arena so they can have bigger gate receipts! It will be a sacrifice, but as a true LOM, he will convince his troops to withstand the hardship! Somehow, he will be able to limp his way into the season playing with only 4-5 players and enduring road games that further tax their stamina!

I see that Va Tech isn't playing this year. How do they determine that?

I had gotten the impression somewhere that it was always one of the worst teams that was left out. While VT can be expected to be a good bit worse next season, are they really expected to be at or near the bottom?

Hmmm, glancing at their roster, maybe they really will be that bad.

They not only lost their coach and will presumably lose Blackshear, they also lost starters

Alexander-Walker (now projected just outside the lottery)
Ahmed Hill
Ty Outlaw
Justin Robinson

Looks like incoming coach Mike Young doesn't have much of a recruiting class, either.

Poor Va Tech.

Good news for last year's cellar dwellers.

I always thought it was the last place teams from the previous year. Maybe they rotate it if the same peeps are on the list multiple times.

I always thought it was the last place teams from the previous year. Maybe they rotate it if the same peeps are on the list multiple times.
Picking Va Tech (a Sweet Sixteen team) makes it sound like they are using the projected last place team this year.

If you think about it, there's really not much excuse for us to lose these challenges if we get to throw out our worst team every year.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Good point. I guess it is about match-ups and about teams not gelling as yet. Seems like it would be a simple thing to figure out. I would use the previous year's standings and just match them up 1-1, 2-2, etc. If you repeat match-ups for a third year, then rotate it after two times. If the same last place team is there for a third time, remove the second worse team and keep it moving! I hate using pre-season projections, especially now since rosters are not even set yet!

I also hope we start a similar relationship with the SEC!

I think a game or series against Memphis would also be interesting. Let's see how Penny does against the elite.

Amen to Kentuck and I would add MSU and Indiana for nostalgia sake! The 20 game idea is understandable, but I hate how it takes away flexibility from coaches like Roy who like to schedule in-state games and home area games for players!

Getting harder to do now that we’re playing 20 ACC games.
Would you rather we play in early tournaments like the the Battle 4 Atlantis or an equal number of teams from other top conferences?

With 11 OOC games, we can still play some locals, and creampuffs.

It would be harder on other ACC teams. NC State played 10 creampuffs in the early season this year. Not necessarily a bad thing to schedule extra creampuffs if you know you are going to be young or shorthanded.

In other words, some of the ACCs weak teams might not like more inter-conference challenges. But I think they'd be great.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I would love to see the Heels play Gonzaga each year. Do it home and home like Kentucky.

Reactions: Archer2
I would rather we did a series with Gonzaga or MSU than Ky..
I like playing Kentucky. They are always talented and they get after it much like we do. Those games are always hard fought and are a good test for two teams that normally are loaded and like to attack. Punch and counter punch because the other is going to keep coming at you for sure.

I would prefer to play the Home/Home series against good teams with natural rivalries or connections, but I also love the pre-season tourneys and overseas trips. In short, I want it all! If I had to choose, I would take the Home/Home series with D-1 rivalries; a few In-state teams sprinkled in so Roy can help local programs + home area games for our players. This would cancel the pre-season tourneys, but still allow the periodic overseas trips. ratty will not like this model since he would have to actually play true road games! Keatts probably will be fine with it eventually too.

11 OOC games could look like this: (not necessarily in this order and In state games could be the same as home for player games when applicable)

Kentuck/UCLA (SEC dependent)
Gonzaga
Indiana/Arizona (B1G dependent)
MSU/Kansas (B1G dependent)
Davidson
B1G Game (If this is MSU we wouldn't play them twice)
In-state
Home for player 1
SEC Game (Not Kentuck 2X)
Home for player 2
In-State

True tests of the Heels, keeps the In-state/Home games, and includes SEC + B1G series. Periodically we would connect with the Big and Pac 12.

Reactions: MWHeels
11 OOC games could look like this: (not necessarily in this order and In state games could be the same as home for player games when applicable)

Kentuck/UCLA (SEC dependent)
Gonzaga
Indiana/Arizona (B1G dependent)
MSU/Kansas (B1G dependent)
Davidson
B1G Game (If this is MSU we wouldn't play them twice)
In-state
Home for player 1
SEC Game (Not Kentuck 2X)
Home for player 2
In-State

True tests of the Heels, keeps the In-state/Home games, and includes SEC + B1G series. Periodically we would connect with the Big and Pac 12.

I like this schedule. The only thing I would change we be Kentucky every year like Davidson and then have UCLA / Arizona instead of Indiana, since Indiana would already come on the schedule for the Big 10 game.

My list is unclear. Kentuck, Indiana, and MSU are scheduled every year Home and Home. The alternative comes in because I want to have the B1G and SEC conference series for the ACC. During the years that MSU, Indiana, or Kentuck were scheduled to play us in the conference matchups, we would play the alternative team on my schedule.

Last edited:
I'm kinda surprised with the support for playing Indiana consistently ? Why Indiana ?? Is it for recruiting in Indiana? If that's the case Texas makes as much sense if not more.

Wait, we get a home game in the challenge AND dook has to go to East Lansing??? That's not possible. The Heels NEVER play at home and dook NEVER plays a true road game.
Uh, it happened two years ago. Michigan came here and Dook played at IU.

Wow! Your irrefutable numbers have convinced me I was wrong all the time about puke. ratty actually does embrace true road games and they never get favorable treatment from the NCAA or the Challenge committee! Naw....

It was a waste of time, I know what I see and I know what I know! ratty is evil, a liar, and a hypocrite of the first order. He avoids true road games like the plague and both entities do everything in their power to smooth the road for his evil empire! If anyone can explain the criteria for the matchups, I would love to see them. Until then, I will revel in the knowledge that Valdemort's cowardly scheduling will continue to make them ripe for upset in the post season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT