ADVERTISEMENT

2020 strikes again - earthquake just hit NC

TarHeelMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Part of Heaven
A 5.1 magnitude quake hit near Sparta, NC (near the Virginia border) around 8:07 am.

I felt some shaking for about 10 seconds; ~90 miles away from epicenter. Very minor for me but freaky nonetheless.

Last edited:
I live 20 miles south of Sparta. My whole house shook for about 10 seconds. I first thought a large tree had fell on my house. What else can 2020 throw at us?..

lol

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I live right outside of Asheville and clearly felt the house shaking at approx. 8:10 am

I’m in Asheville and must have slept right through it lol

Last edited:
I live in Connelly Springs (between Morganton and Hickory, NC) about 55 miles from Sparta. The tremors were pretty intense for a few seconds but no damage and nothing falling off the shelves.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I live in Connelly Springs (between Morganton and Hickory, NC) about 55 miles from Sparta. The tremors were pretty intense for a few seconds but no damage and nothing falling off the shelves.
I’m in Lenoir and I heard some things shake but didn’t know for sure until my wife screamed we were having an earthquake!!!

Reactions: HookUNC75
We were in Blowing Rock when it happened. About 30 miles from Sparta. Heard a rumble, felt vibrations, and the glass shower door rattled. Relatively anticlimactic for my first earthquake.

Didn't even notice it in Charlotte. Rubber tires offer good earthquake insulation, apparently, lol

If you've mentioned this before, I missed it. Very cool. South Mountains is one of my favorite places to backpack.
If you’re ever looking for a nice day trip on the water, there’s a place to put in your kayak where the Johns River empties into Lake Rhodhiss. Paddling up the Johns River, especially in the fall months is very scenic and relaxing.

After going back and rereading my post I have to agree with you. I did come off like a pompous ass and I should have worded it differently.

LOL....on the other hand why do anything out of character for you, you pompous commie slime.

I'm kidding. I don't know for a fact that you're a commie.

LOL....on the other hand why do anything out of character for you, you pompous commie slime.

I'm kidding. I don't know for a fact that you're a commie.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, you’re trash no doubt, the trailer park remark was the pompous part.

Reactions: heelbent
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT