ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of tidbits...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
on Ingram... sorry if neither are positive

- Saw a retweet earlier today of part of what turned out to be part of an epic semi-coherent meltdown from a wuffie assistant coach over his assumption (knowledge?) Ingram is picking dook.
- Just got off the phone with a buddy who coaches AAU (he's a Carolina fan BTW). Before we hung up I asked him what he thought about the Ingram situation. He hasn't heard anything per se about the choice, but did say that the general scuttlebutt has been that Ingram sees himself as a definite one-and-done (which probably doesn't bode well for us), which as he put it is a shame because "Ingram is one of those guys who would probably really break out at Carolina as a sophomore but won't be around long enough for a school to benefit from it"...

Yeah, I think that "One-Done" crap and instant PT has been the driving force all along.

If he wants to be a one and done... playing at UNC lets him hide his weaknesses and is his best shot at getting a championship in one year.

Reactions: EmJay14
If he wants to be a one and done... playing at UNC lets him hide his weaknesses and is his best shot at getting a championship in one year.

Dook will have Allen, Jones, and possibly Kennard getting and/or sharing major minutes With BI IF he indeed does make the mistake of going there. The most hysterical part of Gary7 post was that the wuffies apparently actually thought that they had a real chance in this one. That is just plain funny to me...

Yeah, I think that "One-Done" crap and instant PT has been the driving force all along.
Yeah, Mike... sadly I agree. Until K's recent shenanigans I still was hopeful, but the conventional wisdom seems to be coming to fruition. Clint is pretty much conceding it, and Andrew's column today nails the PT issue.
On a positive note, as I posted in Billy's thread I'm feeling more confident that Roy pretty much knows now there are not going to be any significant NCAA penalties and likely told Ingram as much, so that is not the real issue.

on Ingram... sorry if neither are positive

- Saw a retweet earlier today of part of what turned out to be part of an epic semi-coherent meltdown from a wuffie assistant coach over his assumption (knowledge?) Ingram is picking dook.
- Just got off the phone with a buddy who coaches AAU (he's a Carolina fan BTW). Before we hung up I asked him what he thought about the Ingram situation. He hasn't heard anything per se about the choice, but did say that the general scuttlebutt has been that Ingram sees himself as a definite one-and-done (which probably doesn't bode well for us), which as he put it is a shame because "Ingram is one of those guys who would probably really break out at Carolina as a sophomore but won't be around long enough for a school to benefit from it"...

Gary, I absolutely agree with your buds accessment, I just don't see the kid being one & done caliber, I see him as at very least 2yrs and likely 3. I am not sold this kid is a real wing either, have said so here many times, stretch 4 yeah maybe but not a college wing.

Hes a wing... this isnt John Henson or Hicks... the kid has handles and has very good lateral movement from side to side with a polished jump shot... hes doesnt have the anthony Davis mentality to be that stretch 4, so dont curtail the 'one year' you'll have him by trying to develop him into something that hes uninterested in being, even 'if' it could be best for him.

Truly though, the kid is only 6'8 and at the end of the day that screams wing in the big leagues... hes got the game for it

Hes a wing... this isnt John Henson or Hicks... the kid has handles and has very good lateral movement from side to side with a polished jump shot... hes doesnt have the anthony Davis mentality to be that stretch 4, so dont curtail the 'one year' you'll have him by trying to develop him into something that hes uninterested in being, even 'if' it could be best for him.

Truly though, the kid is only 6'8 and at the end of the day that screams wing in the big leagues... hes got the game for it

This whole situation kinda reminds me of the Livingston kid who is about the same build and height as Ingram....Livingston finally made it back to the NBA after leaving the Hawks and after playing overseas, but he took a very long road to get to where he is today, and I see pretty much the same path for Ingram if he is indeed a OAD player?

This whole situation kinda reminds me of the Livingston kid who is about the same build and height as Ingram....Livingston finally made it back to the NBA after leaving the Hawks and after playing overseas, but he took a very long road to get to where he is today, and I see pretty much the same path for Ingram if he is indeed a OAD player?
But Livingston was a PG wasn't he? And he tore both his ACL's at the same time which I imagine set him back a ton. But I actually agree I've not seen him a ton but I never figured him to be a OAD, this system needs to go IMO. Also I'm shocked a guy from State thought they had a shot hahaha

The NBA has really decimated the college game, not with the "one and done" mentality per-say, but by drafting based on "potential" rather than actually capability.

The NBA has really decimated the college game, not with the "one and done" mentality per-say, but by drafting based on "potential" rather than actually capability.

You can't over-emphasize that point. But it also comes from the other end, from AAU.

The people who run AAU promote flash and flair. They want highlight reels, not fundamentally sound team basketball. And then the NBA began drafting on potential rather than on proven basketball ability. So at each end, players are directed to think not in terms of mastering fundamentals, not in terms of being the best team players they can be, but in showing off athletic potential.

It is about image, rather than actual mastery.

Livingston had some serious injuries early.

You can't over-emphasize that point. But it also comes from the other end, from AAU.

The people who run AAU promote flash and flair. They want highlight reels, not fundamentally sound team basketball. And then the NBA began drafting on potential rather than on proven basketball ability. So at each end, players are directed to think not in terms of mastering fundamentals, not in terms of being the best team players they can be, but in showing off athletic potential.

It is about image, rather than actual mastery.

The point you make about the AAU side of the table is not made nearly enough, they are responsible for a lot of this Me first mentality we see way to much of these days. These AAU programs are filling these kids heads full of BS just to be able to snag them. These kids are now playing year round, they don't have the time to really work on refined skill, they play and in their down time all the can do is rest.

Reactions: scoopinnena
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT