ADVERTISEMENT

A glimpse of the state of officiating...

LMFAO! Were the officials asleep? Staring at chicks in the stands? or just on the take?

I've never seen a college player travel as much as Rivers did and get away with it. Anyone can make a move if they're allowed to switch their pivot foot 2-3 times. I shared this vid with the d00kies on DI right after the game and some of the denials were hilarious. The lack of basketball IQ on that site is readily apparent after about five minutes there.

It must be nice to be able to just do whatever you want to. I'm sure that's a nice recruiting tool too. They don't have to say it out loud, everybody already knows it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...&mid=DB8E9C11AA14961D211FDB8E9C11AA14961D211F

This guy constantly took steps and was rarely called for it. Pi$$ poor officiating.
Better watch out, Arch... some of the thought-police on here who claim we should never talk about officiating will have a hissy fit.
Seriously, fact is there has been a national conversation about officiating this past year and that's a good thing.
Trouble is, it's past time to actually do something about it... and a pretty good place to start would be demanding that zebras call things like travels by the RULES. It's not like it's a judgement call. Rivers was allowed to play by a different set of rules... and that's the sort of thing that makes a beautiful game become unwatchable.

Couldn't agree more Gary.

Officials should be forced to call the game according to the rules, which are quite clear in most instances. Failing to do so should result in suspension or termination. Any violation of said rules should be called, regardless of whether it's during the first minute of the game or the last! Whistles are routinely swallowed during the final minutes of games(see Webber's blatant travel at the end of the championship game in '82). There's never been a more egregious travel and the ref was looking right at it when it occurred. The desire to "not determine the outcome of the game" is no excuse. When a player commits a violation, he/she is determining the outcome, not the ref who does his/her job and calls the violation.

Rivers' propensity to move his pivot foot multiple times was a hot topic of conversation at the time. As was the shove in Zeller's back which led to the tip in of a d00k shot, a blatantly obvious foul which was not called. Call that foul and the basket is disallowed, Z is at the line, and we win that game. Yet I never saw the ACC Head of Officials comment on that foul or the numerous times Rivers traveled during that game. I don't know why that position even exists anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT