ADVERTISEMENT

ACC regular season tiebreaker

ChiShankCity

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2005
In a scenario in which UNC and Duke have the same conference record and they split the season series, what’s the tiebreaker?

I googled it and read that it goes to record against the next highest finisher in ACC play. As of now that’s Virginia and both UNC and Duke went 1-0 against them. Next would be Syracuse.

Is that the tiebreaker after head to head?

Wake losing a couple after the Duke game put us in a win out situation I do believe

We lost to Clemson and Syracuse.

dook lost to Wake and Pitt.

Whichever one of those 4 teams finishes highest in the ACC standings would determine who gets the #1 seed in the ACC tournament should dook and UNC finish with a tied record.

Of course you have to figure out tie breakers between those 4 teams to figure out who finishes highest in the event some or all tie. Wake owns the tie breaker over Cuse. Cuse owns the tie breaker over Pitt. Clemson owns the tie breaker over Pitt. Yada Yada Yada. I think we want Wake to win out, which will be tough considering they can't stop losing.

We just need to beat two of the hottest teams in the ACC in Notre Dame and dook, and forget about anyone else helping us.

Reactions: Archer2
Agree we should just win twice and end the discussion, but we should be pulling for Wake and Clemson tonight, and Wake to beat Clemson on Saturday. If that happens, we will be the 1 unless we lose both of the last 2 regular season games.

Wake should win 1 or both of their games. They're both at home - where they haven't lost all year.

But the final game is against a Clemson that beat us - then inexplicably lost at Notre Dame. So who knows?

Actually, now that I think about it, both of Wake's final 2 foes beat us this year.

I'm rooting for Wake, just because I like them better. I'm just glad we didn't have to play them on their court.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm less concerned about the ACC tourney seeding this year. I don't see a huge difference in our NCAA tourney spot low 1 through high 3 compared to 3 games in 3 days to win the conference tourney.

Win tonight and BEAT DOOK. Then play to win, but with extended bench time in the ACC tourney, acknowledging the main goal.

Just beat the dookies and don't worry about it, however if we don't...

Then we need Wake (at home) to beat Clemson, and Pitt (at home) to beat moo. In that scenario, Pitt ends up in 4th at 12-8, while Wake, Clem, and Cuse all finish 11-9.

Just beat the dookies and don't worry about it, however if we don't...

Then we need Wake (at home) to beat Clemson, and Pitt (at home) to beat moo. In that scenario, Pitt ends up in 4th at 12-8, while Wake, Clem, and Cuse all finish 11-9.
Hard to have any faith in Wake winning another game.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
One point loss. Heart breaker.

Wake actually took the lead with about 30 seconds left. Ga Tech player had an obvious travel that went uncalled that would've given the ball back to Wake, up 1 with 4 or 5 seconds left. Instead, a tie up was called and the arrow was with Tech. Ga Tech scores on the inbounds, game over. With all that said, Wake deserved to lose the game, they played careless most of the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Wake actually took the lead with about 30 seconds left. Ga Tech player had an obvious travel that went uncalled that would've given the ball back to Wake, up 1 with 4 or 5 seconds left. Instead, a tie up was called and the arrow was with Tech. Ga Tech scores on the inbounds, game over. With all that said, Wake deserved to lose the game, they played careless most of the night.
For some reason Wake did not have their best shot blocker (Carr) protecting the paint when GT was inbounding underneath the basket with less than 4 seconds left. He was guarding someone out by the 3pt line.

It now looks like Wake needs at least a couple wins in the ACC tourney to avoid the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT