ADVERTISEMENT

Andrea Adelson on Clemson and ACC football

Good read and she is spot on. Problem is the media has its head so far up the sec butts that it cannot fathom teams outside the sec being better. Well maybe the poor bowl showings by the sec and the sec finally didn't have a team in the mythical national championship (when they had to earn it on the field) will help the media see the real picture. Ahhh, probably not.

I guess the other observation is how good are the sec coaches. Seems year in and year out all the recruiting services rate most of the sec in the top 15 teams, hmmmmm . . . or maybe the recruiting experts aren't as good as they think they are.

But I digress . . . good article. Thanks for sharing it.

is the ACC underrated? yes

is the SEC overrated? no.

the fact that there was no SEC team in the title game this year doesn't change the fact that the SEC has the best recruiting classes, the best coaches, and the best teams of any conference.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

the fact that there was no SEC team in the title game this year doesn't change the fact that the SEC has the best recruiting classes, the best coaches, and the best teams of any conference.
Yeah I agree, and they(SEC) also have the best PR machine(ESPN & CBS) that trumps about everything or anything that is perceived to be positive about the ACC or other conferences....Hopefully, an ACC Network in the future will balance the media bias more than it currently is?

As for all the other collegiate sports, the ACC is already hands down the best conference or one of the best IMO.....

Originally posted by Tigertown@Rick:

Yeah I agree, and they(SEC) also have the best PR machine(ESPN & CBS) that trumps about everything or anything that is perceived to be positive about the ACC or other conferences....Hopefully, an ACC Network in the future will balance the media bias more than it currently is?

As for all the other collegiate sports, the ACC is already hands down the best conference or one of the best IMO.....
I think that's a good summation. SEC football has been better than everybody else over the past decade. But not nearly by as much as the average SEC fan assumes. Worse, much worse, is that the SEC indeed has had endless cheerleaders in the media, CBS and then ESPN, that have propped up as being almopst untouchable.

Because we share 3 states historically (4 with Louisville on board), and now a total of 9 SEC teams either share an ACC state or are in a state bordering an ACC state, we are hurt by the overhyping of the SEC 10 times more than any other conference. In fact, it used to down grade us in regard to all other leagues, and not just the SEC, as Adelson shows in the discussion of Wisconsin.

Jimmy,
I think the sec does have a lot of good coaches and overall a significant amount of the top recruits. I do believe they are hyped up as it is not uncommon to see a guy that chooses a premier (media perspective) sec school have a star added, but a similar player choose another conference school and possibly lose a star. Completely bogus crap that affects the recruiting class rankings. The sec is definitely over-hyped in my opinion, but they may remain the best conference top to bottom of the Big 5. Than doesn't mean they have the best team(s), as their bowl performances have shown in recent years. jmo

The SEC is the best conference, and it's overrated. You have to look no further than the fact they had 3 teams, from 1 division, in the initial playoff top 4. That same division got boat-raced by the Big 12, B1G 2x, the ACC, and Notre Dame in bowl season, and the ACC Atlantic swept the SEC East in week 14. One can also reasonably opine that the SEC would not have run off 8 straight national champions under the current playoff system, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them even reach the playoff this season. Hell the only reason Mississippi St rose to #1 last season was because they beat a comically overrated Texas A&M, which rose so high by virtue of a route of equally overrated S. Carolina team.

ACC has the best record of all conferences in the past three years with New Years or BCS bowls at 4-1. SEC is 1-6

Originally posted by Lawyer Mike:
ACC has the best record of all conferences in the past three years with New Years or BCS bowls at 4-1. SEC is 1-6
GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-disgust-Lavell-Crawford-GIF.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT