ADVERTISEMENT

At this moment

Am I the only one that thought he tripped himself when trying to hip check one of those kids running into the court, then he got banged around?
no you aren't, see my posting on the basketball thread on OOTB. He tried to throw a bit of a block/trip at the WF kid and it went south on him. After that he got jostled but he had gotten hurt first.

I hope nobody here thinks what happened today is in any way OK because it’s Duke or because it’s flip who is sort of a dbag or because maybe the injury was partially self-inflicted.

I hate Duke as much as the next guy - but court storming is so stupid and dangerous. Think of it. Instead of Duke this could have been Heels and how would we feel if some moron maggots take out one of our top players?

It’s not even about basketball. It’s about directionless loser POS kids mostly likely drunk having an opportunity to get their moron on. It’s bush league. Anyone who storms the court especially when favored - should be ashamed.

Duke and UNC will never storm the court going forward. Ever. It’s for classless wannabe pretend programs.

LSU just got fined for storming last week. $100k. Instead they should have the storming team forfeit next 2 games. It’d never happen again. What do moron kids care if the university has to pay $100k. It’s not right out of their pockets.

Not sure if it will come to this, but I hope Duke and especially flip sue Weak forest. This incident has the chance of taking NBA money out of flip’s pockets and has chance of causing adverse consequences for Duke this year. It’s not enough but at the very least I hope this results in a full ban on court storming by next year at latest.

Reactions: RichmondLion
I hope nobody here thinks what happened today is in any way OK because it’s Duke or because it’s flip who is sort of a dbag or because maybe the injury was partially self-inflicted.

I hate Duke as much as the next guy - but court storming is so stupid and dangerous. Think of it. Instead of Duke this could have been Heels and how would we feel if some moron maggots take out one of our top players?

It’s not even about basketball. It’s about directionless loser POS kids mostly likely drunk having an opportunity to get their moron on. It’s bush league. Anyone who storms the court especially when favored - should be ashamed.

Duke and UNC will never storm the court going forward. Ever. It’s for classless wannabe pretend programs.

LSU just got fined for storming last week. $100k. Instead they should have the storming team forfeit next 2 games. It’d never happen again. What do moron kids care if the university has to pay $100k. It’s not right out of their pockets.

Not sure if it will come to this, but I hope Duke and especially flip sue Weak forest. This incident has the chance of taking NBA money out of flip’s pockets and has chance of causing adverse consequences for Duke this year. It’s not enough but at the very least I hope this results in a full ban on court storming by next year at latest.

Actually I liked what the SEC does. Since LSU stormed the court against Kentucky, The money they are fined goes straight to Kentucky. Any SEC school that gets fined now for court storming, the money goes to the school they stormed the court against

Reactions: Heelicious

I think the court storming was over the top, no question. And I with very few exceptions am not going to applaud a player's injury (an exception might be Gerald Henderson, just as an example of someone who I would like to have seen in the hospital in traction after having been body-slammed onto the court). But I'm also not going to spend a second commiserating with Filipowski if, as it seems to me, he initiated the act that caused his injury. If you initiate contact with someone out of malice, you kind of deserve what you get, is the way I see it.

It looks different at full speed, but watch the action in slow motion here. Maybe I'm wrong, but notice that the WF kid was not on a line with Filipowski, but rather Filipowski moved into him and thrust his arms through contact, AND notice his right leg thrust forward in what seems to me can only be a tripping attempt. The WF kid seemed to be mouthing something but that doesn't equate to physical contact.

Even in slo-mo, I'm having a hard time deciding if flopowski initiated that or that he's just a big clumsy goober. Regardless, it looks like he took a knee to the knee, which does hurt like hell but all the histrionics from him and face are typical dookie drama.

That being said, this court storming crap is getting out of hand. I would be pissed if one of our guys get hurt in one of these.

While I do have disdain for anything puke, I do try to put myself and team in the same position and then deal with an issue. I agree with Tarheelmark, I’d be hacked if it were one of our players. He’s clumsy and huge in a sea of smaller people lol. He might have initiated the first contact but he wasn’t getting out of that unscathed. I hope he’s not hurt, other than his feelings.

I think the court storming was over the top, no question. And I with very few exceptions am not going to applaud a player's injury (an exception might be Gerald Henderson, just as an example of someone who I would like to have seen in the hospital in traction after having been body-slammed onto the court). But I'm also not going to spend a second commiserating with Filipowski if, as it seems to me, he initiated the act that caused his injury. If you initiate contact with someone out of malice, you kind of deserve what you get, is the way I see it.

It looks different at full speed, but watch the action in slow motion here. Maybe I'm wrong, but notice that the WF kid was not on a line with Filipowski, but rather Filipowski moved into him and thrust his arms through contact, AND notice his right leg thrust forward in what seems to me can only be a tripping attempt. The WF kid seemed to be mouthing something but that doesn't equate to physical contact.

After watching this I'm even more convinced he was sticking his foot out to trip that kid and it didn't work out for him.

Reactions: bluetoe
So now yu
I am thrilled that Forbes has rebuilt Wake basketball.
So now you are a Wake fan? Does that now make you a Wake "firster" considering how you love to tag UNC fans that may prefer basketball as "basketball firsters"...

I hate Duke just as much as you folks, but if this was litigated in court Wake Forest would lose. The "proximate" cause of the Flip's injury was triggered by the fans running on the court. It's really a moot point if Flip initiated the contact. The kids should have never been on the floor.

I get your point. Flip indeed leads with his foot out front what appears to be purposeful. However, having 100's of crazed students flying at you from all directions allows for me to interpret this moment as somewhat defensive as well. Point we can all agree on this court storming must be stopped immediately with penalties enough to prevent this from occurring ever again. This for the protection of the students as well as the players. I bet anything there were a few kids that sobered up with aches and pains they did not plan on.

I get your point. Flip indeed leads with his foot out front what appears to be purposeful. However, having 100's of crazed students flying at you from all directions allows for me to interpret this moment as somewhat defensive as well. Point we can all agree on this court storming must be stopped immediately with penalties enough to prevent this from occurring ever again. This for the protection of the students as well as the players. I bet anything there were a few kids that sobered up with aches and pains they did not plan on.
having all those kids flying at you and around you would rightfully cause one to respond defensively to the threat of bodily harm. Defensively, not combatively. Filipowski's action was not a defensive one but a combative one. If that WF fan was charging directly into him such that he had to be fended off, I would be singing a different tune...but he wasn't. Getting mobbed by rowdy fans does not usually carry a great risk of injury or it would have happened many times before; and had it happened before, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And I'm not saying he should have done anything different. I'm just saying he is just as responsible for the consequences of his own actions as WF is responsible for the court storming.

If I pull out into traffic and get hit and injured by a speeding vehicle (WF fans), that speeder will rightfully be held liable for his actions. If it happens in North Carolina though, you (Filipowski) better hope you were wearing your seat belt because if you weren't, your injuries might be held to be your own fault. But, but, but....he was speeding. Well yeah, but, but, but...you weren't wearing your seat belt.

In most other states, the blame is at best proportioned because it is recognized that the blame lies with both parties.

I have no problem with storming the court .. kids shouldn't go near opposing players though .. flip has the right to defend himself or any other player if contact is initiated by any fan

I have no problem with storming the court .. kids shouldn't go near opposing players though .. flip has the right to defend himself or any other player if contact is initiated by any fan
absolutely correct...IF contact was initiated by a fan, which was not the case here. The fan was running BY Filipowski.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT