ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Nichols transfer

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
He requested a release from Memphis but was denied. Didn't we recruit him out of H.S.?

I saw this too. I'd be interested. But I'd tread carefully because from the article I read, he was talking about giving up basketball all together. His parents talked him back into playing and simply going somewhere else. Supposedly, his cheerleader girlfriend at Memphis broke up with him and he melted down.

But I like the idea of getting a big with experience. He could sit this coming season when we wouldn't have room for him anyway and then be a very valuable big in 16-17. And if we're going to miss on many of our big man targets, having him in the fold would be more than consolation.

I want no part of this kid. Leaving a school in July? No thank you.

This wasn't nearly the first problem he's had at Memphis. Been rumblings about him for 2 years.

I just looked at his season stats for last year. I didn't watch one single Memphis game and I really know nothing about their style of play or whatever. But it appears that he was one of their best players with averages of 13 ppg, 6 rpg, and 3.5 blocks per game (wow!).

I want no part of this kid. Leaving a school in July? No thank you.

This wasn't nearly the first problem he's had at Memphis. Been rumblings about him for 2 years.

Like I said, I think that can be attributed to his pondering quitting basketball all together. The late transfer was apparently due to his parents talking him into such a move. I don't know Nichols at all; I haven't followed his career. But the late decision to transfer doesn't automatically make me think he's a bad dude. Hell, we don't know anything about Pastner. Maybe he's an awful coach to play under. And playing on a 18-14 team in a bad conference doesn't get anyone excited.

I say he's worth a look. Let me ask you this: would you rather have Nichols or potentially a lower ranked 4 star recruit or even a 3 star? I'm not saying we won't sign any of our targets in 2016. But no one thinks we're getting Giles and people are even questioning Bam. Bradley looks good but we need at least 3 bigs. Gambling on Nichols (assuming he'd even be interested in us) seems like a roll of the dice I'm willing to take. He was a 5 star rated prospect that has proved he can cut the mustard at the college level.

Like I said, I think that can be attributed to his pondering quitting basketball all together. The late transfer was apparently due to his parents talking him into such a move. I don't know Nichols at all; I haven't followed his career. But the late decision to transfer doesn't automatically make me think he's a bad dude. Hell, we don't know anything about Pastner. Maybe he's an awful coach to play under. And playing on a 18-14 team in a bad conference doesn't get anyone excited.

I say he's worth a look. Let me ask you this: would you rather have Nichols or potentially a lower ranked 4 star recruit or even a 3 star? I'm not saying we won't sign any of our targets in 2016. But no one thinks we're getting Giles and people are even questioning Bam. Bradley looks good but we need at least 3 bigs. Gambling on Nichols (assuming he'd even be interested in us) seems like a roll of the dice I'm willing to take. He was a 5 star rated prospect that has proved he can cut the mustard at the college level.

So it took him until July of his junior season to figure out Pastner is a bad coach? That's a player problem, not a coach problem.

You want a headcase that will influence the all important 2016 freshman class? I certainly don't.

We have always stayed away from headcase transfers in the past and I see no reason whatsoever that should change now.

He'll be the 3rd player that leaves this summer. Something isn't right in Memphis . .

@dadika13
Billy's quote is evidence that it might not be Nichols that's the headcase. You may have more info than I, but I find it a pretty big jump to conclusions to call him a "headcase" based on him wanting to transfer and waiting until July to declare such.

I said I would tread carefully. But if he's interested, I think we should look into him.

Pastner tells him he wants him to be a captain on the team in May, he accepts. Suddenly in July he wants to transfer without saying a word to Pastner, the AD, or anyone involved in the program? That's normal to you? That's a guy you want on UNC?

Again...I'll pass.

Notre Dame and Marquette are interested.

Some sources say he advised Pastner in June but the coaching staff "refused" to agree to let him transfer anywhere else.

where's the bad news info?..in the world of social media..i'm sure we would've heard something by now!!..probably need to look into the coaches more than the players with all of the transfers they are having!!

I saw this too. I'd be interested. But I'd tread carefully because from the article I read, he was talking about giving up basketball all together. His parents talked him back into playing and simply going somewhere else. Supposedly, his cheerleader girlfriend at Memphis broke up with him and he melted down.

But I like the idea of getting a big with experience. He could sit this coming season when we wouldn't have room for him anyway and then be a very valuable big in 16-17. And if we're going to miss on many of our big man targets, having him in the fold would be more than consolation.

He was AAC freshman of the year and then All Conference. He is a rock of consistency on the court. If he had been at UNC last year, he would have been our most consistent 4/5 when you factor in both ends of the court.

He was a silly love struck schoolboy to go to Memphis because of HS cheerleader GF. That's over, and he is free to go someplace better in every sense.

I think his 1st ACC offer was from UVA, and the Rat-face offered him before Roy did.

where's the bad news info?..in the world of social media..i'm sure we would've heard something by now!!..probably need to look into the coaches more than the players with all of the transfers they are having!!
Josh Pastner can't handle them. He has a number of players who come from rough backgrounds, and many of them push the envelope. Pastner alternates between trying to appeas them and trying to play tough disciplinarian. The contradictariness frustrates most players and means the teams - this has been going on as long as Pastner has been HC - always fall short of what they could have been.

Nichols is a very smart kid and very clean cut.

He was AAC freshman of the year and then All Conference. He is a rock of consistency on the court. If he had been at UNC last year, he would have been our most consistent 4/5 when you factor in both ends of the court.

He was a silly love struck schoolboy to go to Memphis because of HS cheerleader GF. That's over, and he is free to go someplace better in every sense.

I think his 1st ACC offer was from UVA, and the Rat-face offered him before Roy did.
that "stuff" will run you crazy" it's what makes tomcats fuss and fight.

It seems like I remember something about him being a dook fan growing up. I don't have a link or anything it just seems like I remember something about that, anybody else remember hearing that? I could be getting him mixed up with someone else.

It seems like I remember something about him being a dook fan growing up. I don't have a link or anything it just seems like I remember something about that, anybody else remember hearing that? I could be getting him mixed up with someone else.

No, you are correct. In fact, it was Wojo that recruited him for dOOk and Wojo has put in a call to Nichols already.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13227615/memphis-tigers-release-austin-nichols

He'll be the 3rd player that leaves this summer. Something isn't right in Memphis . .

Exactly Billy. I think we'd be crazy not to at least show interest in Nichols. 2016 is a very crucial class for UNC and things aren't looking very rosy at this point. Roy and his staff are working as hard as they ever have to secure a solid class but they're operating on a very uneven playing field. The NCAA is killing our recruiting and they know it, dragging this out interminably being their backhanded way of punishing us by killing our ability to recruit for 2-3 years.

I also believe that UNC's being perceived as an "old school" program, one that relies less on freshmen and more on multiple year players, has contributed to our inability to sign the very best players. When freshmen at other schools become immediate stars, it only fuels this perception. Most UNC fan knows Roy will play freshmen to play key roles if they are good enough. I think most would also agree that, all other things being equal, he will lean toward the more experienced player. While I have no problem with his approach, I think many young prospects do, especially the potential OAD's.

I have stated before that I never want to see UNC take the OAD approach that UK has taken and I still don't. But Knight Lite's success with this approach is very appealing to the top players. That is reality, not perception. The dribble drive offense appeals to them as well, something Roy appears adverse to employing. Should he rethink his position regarding his offensive scheme? Perhaps so.

Add all this up and you can see why recruits are hesitant to commit to UNC. 2016 is one of the most talented classes the state has produced in years. If we get shut out with both Giles and Bam, it will say a lot about the perception of our program. We need a very solid 2016 class. Roy's casting as wide a net as I can ever remember him casting, so he's doing his part. Other than adopting the DD offense, I don't know what else he can do.

Bottom line is the NCAA's procrastination is serving as a very harsh penalty and until they hand down their decision, we're dead in the recruiting water.

Transferred to LSU...

First I have seen this news . . congrats on breaking it if true btw.

It seems to me that most of these players wanting to transfer from a school already know where they are going.

It seems to me that most of these players wanting to transfer from a school already know where they are going.

Sorry Billy, I misread. LSU is going to "test the waters" with Nichols. Norte Dame and Marquette are the perceived leaders off the bat according to Jeff Goodman.

Sorry Billy, I misread. LSU is going to "test the waters" with Nichols. Norte Dame and Marquette are the perceived leaders off the bat according to Jeff Goodman.

No problem . . he may very well end up at LSU anyways.

Exactly Billy. I think we'd be crazy not to at least show interest in Nichols. 2016 is a very crucial class for UNC and things aren't looking very rosy at this point. Roy and his staff are working as hard as they ever have to secure a solid class but they're operating on a very uneven playing field. The NCAA is killing our recruiting and they know it, dragging this out interminably being their backhanded way of punishing us by killing our ability to recruit for 2-3 years.

I also believe that UNC's being perceived as an "old school" program, one that relies less on freshmen and more on multiple year players, has contributed to our inability to sign the very best players. When freshmen at other schools become immediate stars, it only fuels this perception. Most UNC fan knows Roy will play freshmen to play key roles if they are good enough. I think most would also agree that, all other things being equal, he will lean toward the more experienced player. While I have no problem with his approach, I think many young prospects do, especially the potential OAD's.

I have stated before that I never want to see UNC take the OAD approach that UK has taken and I still don't. But Knight Lite's success with this approach is very appealing to the top players. That is reality, not perception. The dribble drive offense appeals to them as well, something Roy appears adverse to employing. Should he rethink his position regarding his offensive scheme? Perhaps so.

Add all this up and you can see why recruits are hesitant to commit to UNC. 2016 is one of the most talented classes the state has produced in years. If we get shut out with both Giles and Bam, it will say a lot about the perception of our program. We need a very solid 2016 class. Roy's casting as wide a net as I can ever remember him casting, so he's doing his part. Other than adopting the DD offense, I don't know what else he can do.

Bottom line is the NCAA's procrastination is serving as a very harsh penalty and until they hand down their decision, we're dead in the recruiting water.

I too am opposd to 1 and Done. That pattern is bad for the cvollege game and bad for academics and college athletics. And that means that I facvor UNC sachoalrshipping some guys who are going to be later developers, who need at least a full year of practice before they have any shot at playing off the bench on a top team.

And it means that UNC should always try to land transfers like Nichols. He is a kid who will graduate and not get into any trouble with the law. He is not flashy on court, much less arrogant, so he will not cause team chemistry issues.

I don't think that was true of Nichols, not close. While the talk was that he was unhappy with the general state of the Memphis program, he made no soundabout tansferrring until the HS girlfriend decided she just wnats to be friends. After that, he wanted a clean break.

Maybe the team that can line him up with a smoking hot cheerleader will have the advantage.

Memphis has removed all restrictions on his transfer.

The word is out here in TN that UVA is back in the mix.

Nichols is exactly the kind of Big who can be maximized at UVA. I do not look forward to Bennett using him to make us pay.

The word is out here in TN that UVA is back in the mix.

Nichols is exactly the kind of Big who can be maximized at UVA. I do not look forward to Bennett using him to make us pay.

Hate to agree but all signs are pointing to UVA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT