ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Nichols transfer

It's pretty well-known he has controlling parents. I mentioned it in this thread last week.
Controlling in what way? I live in the Memphis TV market. One next door neighbor has been a regular at Mempohis basketball games for 30 years. Both he and I know a goodly amount about Briarcrest Christian and its sports and the parents who run things.

The only thing I have heard about Nichols' parents that fans of Memphis might resent is that his dad made it clear to Josh Pastner last year that Austin felt that Pastner didn't have enough control of the team, on and off the court. As that was a year before the end of the HS romance, there was no threat of transfer - just another charge that Pastner is not fully in control. Which he is not.

Nichols is too good a student to waste his time at Memphis. He plays basketball the fundamentally sound, team-first way - not the hotdog, show-off, playground play. And that means his basketball is wasted at Memphis.

Controlling in what way? I live in the Memphis TV market. One next door neighbor has been a regular at Mempohis basketball games for 30 years. Both he and I know a goodly amount about Briarcrest Christian and its sports and the parents who run things.

The only thing I have heard about Nichols' parents that fans of Memphis might resent is that his dad made it clear to Josh Pastner last year that Austin felt that Pastner didn't have enough control of the team, on and off the court. As that was a year before the end of the HS romance, there was no threat of transfer - just another charge that Pastner is not fully in control. Which he is not.

Nichols is too good a student to waste his time at Memphis. He plays basketball the fundamentally sound, team-first way - not the hotdog, show-off, playground play. And that means his basketball is wasted at Memphis.

Just so I make certain that this does not pass unnoticed, it is my current understanding that Duke is very much a possible option. I only state this because I do not want it to blindside anyone here. The kid is good. He is not a superstar. Mike is getting a nose for transfers it seems. Again, take this for what it is worth...

The article that I read said the his father threaten to retain an attorney because Memphis refuse to grant the release. After the threat Memphis granted the release with conditions that he can not transfer to Virginia, Iowa, Providence and Tennessee because those teams are in a tournament in 2016, even though the match-ups have yet to be announced . At that point his dad did retain an lawyer attorney. At the possible threat of a lawsuit Memphis removed all conditions from his release. So, it is a possibility that he could end up in Virginia.

Just so I make certain that this does not pass unnoticed, it is my current understanding that Duke is very much a possible option. I only state this because I do not want it to blindside anyone here. The kid is good. He is not a superstar. Mike is getting a nose for transfers it seems. Again, take this for what it is worth...

Gary Parish -- who was originally a Memphis beat writer and is pretty plugged in with the program -- doesn't think Nichols will attend Duke or any like program that is likely to recruit over him with a one-and-done type player who would start ahead of him. With Tatum committed, Chase Jeter likely a 2-year player, and Giles potentially committing in the fall -- I don't think there's much chance at all of Nichols picking at Duke. I've read reports that Duke is interested -- and I suspect they would love to have him as a rotation player who can bring more continuity and offer a veteran presence. But I frankly can't see him picking Duke over UVA in light of where the Giles recruitment currently stands.

His dad was..heavily involved in his recruitment. More so than most dads. Not in a "Give me money!" way, but in a helicopter parent kinda way. Maybe he's more hands off since he's been at Memphis (I doubt it), but his recruitment was a custerfluck. I was glad Duke missed on him.

He's not coming to Duke. There was some CBSSports article saying Duke was the favorite if he couldn't go to UVA, but that was BS. Staff's not even pursuing him.

His dad was..heavily involved in his recruitment. More so than most dads. Not in a "Give me money!" way, but in a helicopter parent kinda way. Maybe he's more hands off since he's been at Memphis (I doubt it), but his recruitment was a custerfluck. I was glad Duke missed on him.

His dad failed then, because his dad did not prefer that he go to Memphis. He chose Memphis over his parents attempts to dissuade him because of the HS GF.

Nichols is a well above average student who has never had any trouble with the law nor with gaining a rep for smoking dope and an ideal example of fundamentally sound 6-9 player. If he had been at UNC last year, he would have been our best and most consistent 4/5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT