ADVERTISEMENT

Bad day for UNC

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
The new interim Chancellor was named. He's a Dukie, and he has no professional administrative experience in higher education. A purely political appointment from the gerrymandered General Assembly who controls the Board of Governors and Board of Trustees. He was last seen running the State's economy into the ground alongside Pat McCrory. The expectation is the interim tag will be removed shortly.

After running off two great Chancellors in Folt and Guskiewicz, the politicians who have spent decades trying to ruin UNC have finally got one of their cronies into the Chancellor seat. Aside from the obvious awful impact on education, the expectation is this will really screw UNC over in conference realignment. The NCGA intends to hold UNC hostage in order to "force" the SEC/B1G to offer NC State a spot too. And now they have taken the steps to ensure they will be able to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: gunslingerdick
What is it they're hoping the new guy will do that Guskiewicz wouldn't do? It seems like most of the board has gotten what they wanted pretty much.

Also, I'll believe the "NC State holding UNC hostage" when I see it. We've heard this about a lot of other schools, e.g., Texas and A&M, OK and OK State, UCLA and Cal, UW and WSU, etc. to my knowledge it has never actually prevented a school from moving. Of course the legislature wants as many North Carolina schools as possible to move into the best conferences, but if push comes to shove they'll take UNC over nothing.

What is it they're hoping the new guy will do that Guskiewicz wouldn't do? It seems like most of the board has gotten what they wanted pretty much.

Also, I'll believe the "NC State holding UNC hostage" when I see it. We've heard this about a lot of other schools, e.g., Texas and A&M, OK and OK State, UCLA and Cal, UW and WSU, etc. to my knowledge it has never actually prevented a school from moving. Of course the legislature wants as many North Carolina schools as possible to move into the best conferences, but if push comes to shove they'll take UNC over nothing.
Well we've already had one previous UNC Chancellor come out and directly say that the guys in power in the NCGA intend to hold UNC hostage until NC State gets a SEC/B1G offer.

And we have some of biggest Rams Club donors saying it too.

And one of the most well respected insiders on IC premium has stated it's going to happen, and he also accurately called the name of the new Chancellor before anyone else.

And we know the party that has gerrymandered itself into power has been attacking UNC for decades. Now they have put a Yes Man into a key position he is in no way qualified to hold.

But sure, when the ACC starts to break apart things will probably go just swell for UNC.

We've heard this about a lot of other schools, e.g., Texas and A&M, OK and OK State, UCLA and Cal, UW and WSU, etc. to my knowledge it has never actually prevented a school from moving.
In 2003 the ACC was poaching from the Big East and was set to issue an invitation to Syracuse. Virginia state politicians got involved and got UVA to hold up expansion until Virginia Tech was given Syracuse's spot.

Syracuse went from expecting an invitation in 2003, to waiting all the way until 2013 to officially join the ACC. All thanks to some powerful Virginia politicians.

Well we've already had one previous UNC Chancellor come out and directly say that the guys in power in the NCGA intend to hold UNC hostage until NC State gets a SEC/B1G offer.

And we have some of biggest Rams Club donors saying it too.

And one of the most well respected insiders on IC premium has stated it's going to happen, and he also accurately called the name of the new Chancellor before anyone else.

And we know the party that has gerrymandered itself into power has been attacking UNC for decades. Now they have put a Yes Man into a key position he is in no way qualified to hold.

But sure, when the ACC starts to break apart things will probably go just swell for UNC.
Yes, it's often threatened. Of course they should threaten this. It's a different thing to actually do it.
In 2003 the ACC was poaching from the Big East and was set to issue an invitation to Syracuse. Virginia state politicians got involved and got UVA to hold up expansion until Virginia Tech was given Syracuse's spot.

Syracuse went from expecting an invitation in 2003, to waiting all the way until 2013 to officially join the ACC. All thanks to some powerful Virginia politicians.
You're talking about a state successfully lobbying to get their other school in (maybe; or maybe they would've gotten in anyway).

That's totally different than keeping out one of your state schools (costing them hundreds of millions of dollars) because another state school can't benefit too. There's no precedent for this, and I wouldn't worry much about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT