ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 expansion?

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
OU President Boren has indicated he sees it as a good thing. And Cincy is in the talk. That interests me because I despise UConn and would maybe even take Moo over UConn. Of the most realistic teams we could add to the ACC, Cincy tops my list, easily.

It must be June.

In Big 12 country, June is not the season. It has been year round. Big 12 fan bases have been discussing realignment the whole time. Some are like WVU and UConn fans, in that they assume that they hope that the ACC is gutted can come true, and then the Big 12 will have its pickings. Others (KU and also some OU fans) hope that their school can wrangle a Big Ten or Pac invite. OU has some fans who would like to be in the SEC, and almost all Ok St fans would see DSEC membership as a type of heaven.

Fans of all Big 12 schools but Texas fear the future and want their schiool to be manuevering now to get a seat at the table before the Big 12 started to come apart again.

I think Boren is going public because he wants to bide time, because OU canot make any more now that he would want without Texas in the move. The Pac is not going to take OU without Texas. The BT certainly will never pretend to consider Ok St and may not give serious consideration to OU. And even the BT would take KU and OU, many OU football fans would hate any move to the BT that leaves Texas free to do its own thing.

Time to dust off my list of schools I'd rather add than add UConn:

- UCF
- USF
- Navy
- Georgia Southern
- Troy
- UL-Lafayette
- Middle Tennessee
- UNC-Charlotte
- ECU
- App
- Richmond
- Old Dominion

All of the above would bring more football clout and potential than UConn. And to be honest, Cincy doesn't fill me with warm and fuzzies either. They're just not as sucky as UConn....and happened to be close-ish to Louisville.

I know it will neverrrrr happen, but adding West Virginia still makes too much sense not to do it. Yeah I know, academics blah blah. Football: already existing historical rivalry with Pitt AND Virginia Tech, and they have a well-travelling fanbase who wouldn't mind going to Charlotte for post-season stuff (since a ton of them live in Charlotte already). Basketball: good history, usually make the tournament. Soccer: historically good.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel

- UCF
- USF
- Navy
- Georgia Southern
- Troy
- UL-Lafayette
- Middle Tennessee
- UNC-Charlotte
- ECU
- App
- Richmond
- Old Dominion

All of the above would bring more football clout and potential than UConn. And to be honest, Cincy doesn't fill me with warm and fuzzies either. They're just not as sucky as UConn....and happened to be close-ish to Louisville.

I know it will neverrrrr happen, but adding West Virginia still makes too much sense not to do it. Yeah I know, academics blah blah. Football: already existing historical rivalry with Pitt AND Virginia Tech, and they have a well-travelling fanbase who wouldn't mind going to Charlotte for post-season stuff (since a ton of them live in Charlotte already). Basketball: good history, usually make the tournament. Soccer: historically good.

What I like best about Cincy is OH. Now, it is easily the largest state with just 1 school in a P5 league. And OH is loaded with top recruits in both revenue sports as well as baseball.

- UCF
- USF
- Navy
- Georgia Southern
- Troy
- UL-Lafayette
- Middle Tennessee
- UNC-Charlotte
- ECU
- App
- Richmond
- Old Dominion

You had me until you brought up soccer.

In Big 12 country, June is not the season. It has been year round.
The GORs have effectively killed the ability for anyone to poach from other Power 5 conferences. Speculating is fun, for a while, but nobody's going anywhere unless Group of 5 teams get called up to the big leagues.

Nothing personal. I've just grown tired of the off-season need to fill news cycles with pointless stuff.

This continues to be discussed. SI and ESPN bot have had articles discuss it. Big 12 boards are hot about expansion. A growing numbr of Oklahoma fans think the Big 12's days are numbered.

A growing numbr of Oklahoma fans think the Big 12's days are numbered.
Well of course they are. The current lack of a championship game isn't sustainable under the CFP format. And as we get closer to the GORs ending, it will be less expensive to poach from other leagues. But we're at least 5 years away from any of that changing.

Well of course they are. The current lack of a championship game isn't sustainable under the CFP format. And as we get closer to the GORs ending, it will be less expensive to poach from other leagues. But we're at least 5 years away from any of that changing.
We may have 5 years of such talk any time the season is off. It is entertaining.

This continues to be discussed. SI and ESPN bot have had articles discuss it. Big 12 boards are hot about expansion. A growing numbr of Oklahoma fans think the Big 12's days are numbered.

I found TCU's AD's comment that the B12 should just stay the course kinda bizarre since it was his Horn Frogs that got leaped by Ohio State on the final weekend because the "One True Champion" slogan being used by the B12 was meaningless when they sent a B12 championship trophy to Co-Champs Baylor and TCU....Everyone knows that one extra game(B1G Championship Game) made all the difference; Plus, seems I read where both Baylor and TCU had 2 Byes last year?

I don't know if the B12-4+2=10 conference will expand or not, but BYU has already let it be known that they want to be part of a P5 conference, but I don't know if the B12(10) would be interested?....I'm sure that SMU would like to be part of the B12 again, and Cinn would make for a short road trip for West Virginia fans which I'm sure they would welcome....

Agree with Woad that Oklahoma and OK State would love to be part of the SEC, which would likely open the door for several of the Texas schools to leave for the PAC12, leaving West Virginia to beg the ACC for a life line....

I personally like expansion talk, especially this time of year!

Reactions: NCBlueWonderz
I found TCU's AD's comment that the B12 should just stay the course kinda bizarre since it was his Horn Frogs that got leaped by Ohio State on the final weekend because the "One True Champion" slogan being used by the B12 was meaningless when they sent a B12 championship trophy to Co-Champs Baylor and TCU....Everyone knows that one extra game(B1G Championship Game) made all the difference; Plus, seems I read where both Baylor and TCU had 2 Byes last year?

I don't know if the B12-4+2=10 conference will expand or not, but BYU has already let it be known that they want to be part of a P5 conference, but I don't know if the B12(10) would be interested?....I'm sure that SMU would like to be part of the B12 again, and Cinn would make for a short road trip for West Virginia fans which I'm sure they would welcome....

Agree with Woad that Oklahoma and OK State would love to be part of the SEC, which would likely open the door for several of the Texas schools to leave for the PAC12, leaving West Virginia to beg the ACC for a life line....

I personally like expansion talk, especially this time of year!
With all this, you have to try to think about the long term planning of each speaker. With TCU people, for example, there may be a fear that if the Big 12 expands to 12, that could send Texas into deep thought about leaving. If you are anybody in the But 12 but OU, you do not want to do anything that might lead to Texas with itchy eyes.

One of the more interesting theories a number of OU fans have expressed/adopted is that David Boren may have gone public to try to force Texas' hand, making it clear behind the scenes that OU has at least the SEC option.

Any jostling by OU could irritate Texas to no end. I assume that Swofford is smart enough to try to take advantage of that.

This topic has not died on the internet. For many - most?- OU fans it has moved to discussing which conference OU will join and when. They seem to expect the Big 12 to die or be reduced to AAC status with both OU and Texas gone.

I assume that Swofford is involved.

I doubt Swofford is involved in it. The Big 12 has a lot of problems, and the best thing to do is let them flail away at it. I imagine Swofford is spending all his time analyzing a possible network.

I doubt Swofford is involved in it. The Big 12 has a lot of problems, and the best thing to do is let them flail away at it. I imagine Swofford is spending all his time analyzing a possible network.

Well, if Texas were to make a move from the deacying Big 12 to the ACC, we'd have a network as profitable as the SEC's.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Well, if Texas were to make a move from the deacying Big 12 to the ACC, we'd have a network as profitable as the SEC's.

This idea of a Texas being lured to the ACC, is really really interesting in a lot of ways....And could be the final move that could also lure Notre Dame to finally pull the trigger, and join the ACC as a full-fledged football member?....An addition of both Notre Dame and Texas would create an ACC that would be more of a national brand than it currently is, and would most definitely expedite a network and probably a new TV contract too boot, and would immediately up the perception of the conference from a football standpoint?

Would not surprise me to eventually see another shift by the B12 because there does seem to be some angst about the perception of the B12 by Oklahoma in particular as Boren basically stated that the perception of the B12 has been diminished in a recent interview.....The indecision in how to determine a "True Champion" by either expanding by 2 more teams and holding a championship game like the other 4 P5 conferences, or changing the conference rules in determing which team should represent the B12 as a Champion and possible playoff partcipant, is an ongoing problem that reflects a lack of leadership at the top of the B12 IMO, and that spells the possibility of conference unrest and dissention(sp?) among conference members, and the last time that we saw that in the B12, both Missouri and Texas A&M left for the SEC, and Colorado(PAC-12) and Nebraska(B1G) a few years before that....A pattern that reflects the fact that 2 teams generally leave when there's B12 conference unrest and disagreement....Could be on to something about OU and OKST leaving for the SEC?!

This idea of a Texas being lured to the ACC, is really really interesting in a lot of ways....And could be the final move that could also lure Notre Dame to finally pull the trigger, and join the ACC as a full-fledged football member?....An addition of both Notre Dame and Texas would create an ACC that would be more of a national brand than it currently is, and would most definitely expedite a network and probably a new TV contract too boot, and would immediately up the perception of the conference from a football standpoint?

Would not surprise me to eventually see another shift by the B12 because there does seem to be some angst about the perception of the B12 by Oklahoma in particular as Boren basically stated that the perception of the B12 has been diminished in a recent interview.....The indecision in how to determine a "True Champion" by either expanding by 2 more teams and holding a championship game like the other 4 P5 conferences, or changing the conference rules in determing which team should represent the B12 as a Champion and possible playoff partcipant, is an ongoing problem that reflects a lack of leadership at the top of the B12 IMO, and that spells the possibility of conference unrest and dissention(sp?) among conference members, and the last time that we saw that in the B12, both Missouri and Texas A&M left for the SEC, and Colorado(PAC-12) and Nebraska(B1G) a few years before that....A pattern that reflects the fact that 2 teams generally leave when there's B12 conference unrest and disagreement....Could be on to something about OU and OKST leaving for the SEC?!

Texas and ND have become rather cozy. Evidently they swapped ideas about the possibility of being independent back when ND was and Texas was assumed to be considering it.

Here's the deal with Texas joining with a 5/8ths memebrship like ND has: that would better for the ACC than just having ND play 8. 10 games per year against those 2 > 8 games against ND only. Neither would be in the Championship Game, but every year, 10 of our 14 would play either ND or Texas OOC. Every year' the ACC would have the best, toughest, most TV-worthy OOC slate. And it wouldn't be close.

I have always said that the SEC is 100% opposed to taking a #2 school in any state. They made endless verbal games to claim A&M is actually the co-flagship of Texas, which makes sense only if you have already decided not to take any #2s. But even if the SEC is opposed to non-flagships and wanting only new states, if your choice is holding fast to that and seeing OU to the Big Ten with Kansas or taking Oklahoma State and OU, what do you do?

I think the smart move would be to swallow hard and take the Cowboys. OU is the winningest football program in the country since WW2. OU has a huge fan base in TX, especially in the DFW TV market. OU has been to several Final Fours and CWS. Okie State has won 2 NCAAs, back in the 1940s, and been to about 3 more Final Fours. It has been to Omaha about 18 times. Its football stadium now seats 60,000 and usally has 55, 000 or a few more in attendance. The Cowboys have to a recent major bowl. Plus T. Boone Pickens would donate another 30 or 50 million to his alma mater for getting into the SEC.

It wouldn't. I found article the other day about the LHN. It says the LHN gets 29 cents per subscribe. Outside of Texas, it gets 2 cents per subscriber.http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115

Point being, one team, even Texas, isn't going to boost up an ACC network that much. I'm not saying that the ACC can't have a good network. I'm just saying it's not as simple as adding Texas and thinking that's going to bring in this big money.

Step 1: Kick out Syracuse, add Texas.
Step 2: Call Penn State, offer, then put them on hold before they can answer
Step 3: Call Notre Dame, tell them Penn State is ready to take the last spot unless ND commits right this second.
Step 4: Take either of the two. Sit back and watch other conferences squirm
Step 5: Laugh at UConn

If I had my druthers - boot MooU for having a fan base that almost makes WVU fans seem smart and reasonable and sane.

Everything after that would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: UNC71-00
It wouldn't. I found article the other day about the LHN. It says the LHN gets 29 cents per subscribe. Outside of Texas, it gets 2 cents per subscriber.http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115

Point being, one team, even Texas, isn't going to boost up an ACC network that much. I'm not saying that the ACC can't have a good network. I'm just saying it's not as simple as adding Texas and thinking that's going to bring in this big money.
The LHN rolled into an ACCN would make the latter take off faster than it could otherwise.

The latest Frank the Tank article.

The reason I think this IL geek make sense most of the time about conference expansion is that he kept stressing that UNC, UVA, and Dook wanted to remain together at almost all cost, and wanted that to be in the ACC - so the BT could not buy even the 3 of them. All kinds of BT fans rode him about that. Being Guiled Age types, BT fans are certain everybody sells to the highest bidder ASAP.

Frank thinks OU is looking to leave the Big 12. Here is what he says about the ACC and Texas: "Ah yes – Texas. The Longhorns aren’t oblivious to their rivals to the north. In a perfect world for Texas (as described to me by my Big 12 guy), they would want to join the ACC as full members with… wait for it… Notre Dame. Apparently, the UT people are convinced that the new College Football Playoff system will eventually drive the Irish to join a conference and Texas wants to be right alongside them. In turn, UT would also have Oklahoma and Kansas follow along to create an 18-school ACC behemoth. Texas would be fine with the same type of move to the Big Ten (although Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it chooses to drop independence until 2027, which would seemingly make that prospect impossible)."

I see nothing in Big 12 history that says Texas has 1 ounce of interest in KU for any reason. But Frank is right about ND. If ND were ready to go full member in ACC football, Texas would love to go ACC with the Irish.

Frank feels ND will not make that move any time soon, but he seems certain that ND, Texas, and UVA/UNC/Dook are off the table for the BT. So he says that the BT should go after KU and OU now.

Berry Tramel is the ultimate journalist insider for OU sports. Here he is approaching the topic by posting a letter he received from a Nebraska grad now teaching in the Big Ten.

A large number of OU fans have responded to this article by saying they think it is a trial ballon sent up with the knowledge of David Boren.

Step 1: Kick out Syracuse, add Texas.
Step 2: Call Penn State, offer, then put them on hold before they can answer
Step 3: Call Notre Dame, tell them Penn State is ready to take the last spot unless ND commits right this second.
Step 4: Take either of the two. Sit back and watch other conferences squirm
Step 5: Laugh at UConn

Good one. lol.
How about this
Step 1: Kick out NSUX, add Texas
Step 2: Call Penn State, offer, when they answer put them on hold to answer another call.
Step 3: Then Call Notre Dame, tell them Penn State on the line ready to take the last spot unless ND commits right this second.
Step 4: Take either of the two as a package deal because Texas has now joined. Sit back and watch and smoke a Cuban cigar while other conferences squirm.
Step 5: Have a GTFO party for NSUX while Laughing at UCONN and let WRAL report the story about NSUX get kick the HELL OUT!! HEEL YEAH!!!

Good one. lol.
How about this
Step 1: Kick out NSUX, add Texas
Step 2: Call Penn State, offer, when they answer put them on hold to answer another call.
Step 3: Then Call Notre Dame, tell them Penn State on the line ready to take the last spot unless ND commits right this second.
Step 4: Take either of the two as a package deal because Texas has now joined. Sit back and watch and smoke a Cuban cigar while other conferences squirm.
Step 5: Have a GTFO party for NSUX while Laughing at UCONN and let WRAL report the story about NSUX get kick the HELL OUT!! HEEL YEAH!!!
Perfection.

I don't think you want NC State getting kicked out...they would join the SEC immediately...The SEC would take all those NC tv's no problem...and then you'd have to worry about who else the SEC would add...

It must gnaw those SEC arses knowing the B1G makes more money per school.

I don't think you want NC State getting kicked out...they would join the SEC immediately...The SEC would take all those NC tv's no problem...and then you'd have to worry about who else the SEC would add...

The only way the SEC takes NCSUX if UNC is in the deal. Maybe I miss something but I don't recall NCSUX been on tv a lot. I seem more UNC game in the past three year than NCSUX but you do have a good point. UNC is the ultimate eye candy for SEC why would they settle for kid meal (NCSUX) when they want that supper size meal (UNC)? but again you do have a good point.
Beside FSU, The U, Clemson, VTech and UVA will be the only school I can see the SEC going after but good thing none of that will happen, sad part is that mean UNC seem permanently joined by the hip with NCSUX,Dook and UVA at the moment.
Hell I'm sure if UNC would make a mad dash to leave the ACC for the SEC by itself, well, I'm sure lawsuits would follow with WRAL(aka baby Fox News) will be reporting it ever step of the way.

It isn't important how many times they've been on TV...All that matters is that all of those homes in the North Carolina markets will now have to buy the SEC Network (because it'll come under some package that you want like with ESPNU, etc). Whether you watch it or not that's more money for the conference. Almost every SEC game is on TV in football and that includes non-conference games against lesser teams.

I have no idea how much money each Big10 team makes...I know the SEC makes a very large amount and it should grow as the SEC Network continues to grow.

I don't think UNC would come to the SEC..it wouldn't make sense, but for a team like NC State who's playing second or third fiddle in it's own state (ala Texas A&M) why wouldn't they bolt??? Now they can sell the SEC brand just like A&M is doing.

According to what I've seen the SEC teams all (even Vandy) get 35M...I don't know the Big10 numbers...

***EDIT I searched the SEC site and we only got $31.2 per team***

.All that matters is that all of those homes in the North Carolina markets will now have to buy the SEC Network (because it'll come under some package that you want like with ESPNU, etc). Whether you watch it or not that's more money for the conference. .

Ever heard of "Slingshot"? You can pick and choose ESPN channels ala carte. If you just want ESPN you can buy it without ESPN2, ESPNU or even the SEC Channel. Or, of course, you can get all of the channels in a bundle. I prefer ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. The mighty, mighty SEC gets none of my money.

Neither does moo. Nor will they ever.

The SEC does not under any circumstances want the damned Big Ten in NC or VA. If we booted MooU and told the SEC that if it adds the insufferable Wufs that we and UVA will go to the Big Ten, the SEC would not add Moo.

You guys have a very high opinion of yourself...unfortunately it's not shared outside of this board...NC State is a good school and would help move the SEC forward. Don't get me wrong. I think UNC is a great school and I think they would be the first choice, but make no mistake the SEC isn't afraid of any other conference. UNC, UVA or no other individual school could keep the SEC from doing something they think would improve their market share and brand.

hahaha clever joke there heelbent...I'm very aware of my team's place. I'm not trying to start anything, but don't you think it's arrogant to believe one school can dictate what the best conference in college football would do? I think that's a bit of a stretch about how "powerful" North Carolina is and most certainly a stretch for how powerful UVA is...UNC at least has a national brand in college basketball...UVA has nothing...both are behind South Carolina in football and have been for the last decade.

You guys have a very high opinion of yourself...unfortunately it's not shared outside of this board..
Well, if this doesn't describe USCjr in an effing nutshell..........................

NC State is a good school and would help move the SEC forward.
Please, please tell me how. Lay out the reasons NC State will help the SEC besides the mythical "unlocking of a new state." Please tell me. Is it their decades of underachieving? Is it their tiny football stadium (they'd be 13th of 15 in stadium size in the SEC) ? Is it their basketball relevance that stopped being relevant in 1989? Is it their awesome llama hand signals? By the same logic you're using, I can legitimately make the case to you that the SEC could move just as far forward by adding UNLV (it WOULD unlock Nevada after all...). Everything else you say in this thread is invalid now in my eyes. Sorry.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Their stadium is the same size as yours so let's not act like that's a big deal. It does unlock another state and gives us the tv markets in Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. Not to mention adds to the footprint without jumping states ala West Virginia in the Big 12 (or 10)...They also wouldn't come alone...someone will come with them. Maybe Virginia Tech as that has been rumored. Personally, I wish UNC and Duke would come together and be done with it. Those two schools would provide more national brand and would immediately elevate our league in terms of college basketball. It would continue a rivalry with South Carolina and allow them to start rivalries with Georgia and others near them in the region.

Eventually it's going to jump to 4 16 team mega conferences. Either the ACC or the Big 12 will break. My money is on the Big 12, but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT