ADVERTISEMENT

Bucket list

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
Some things on mine. Curious if any of y’all have experienced them and what u have in yours

see the aurora borealis
Experienced Thunder snow
Petted a big cat
Sky dive
Watch the packers at Lambeau

some things I’ve been lucky enough to cross off

shoot hoops on Carmichael floor
Experienced an earthquake
Witnessed a tornado live
Seen an erupting volcano
Surfed the banzai pipeline (okay just the white water close to shore)
Meet dean smith
Earn a black belt
Caught a native rainbow trout (helluva lot harder than it sounds)
Seen a whale breech
Swam with and touched dolphins
Seen my children born
Mile high club

Seems like it would be really tricky to see the whale breech. Right place, right time.

My biggest one is getting to all the US National Parks, but going to American Samoa is a long way to go to check one off.
Like you, seeing the northern lights are another.
Teach my wife to drive a straight drive--some progress made.
Learn to play the banjo.
Climb an active volcano (climbed Vesuvius, but I'm not counting it.)
Run UTMB (avenge a failed 2018 attempt)
Section hike the entire NC Mountains to Sea Trail (~1150 miles)
See the Heels win a National Championship in football.
Write a novel (got pretty far in college and abandoned it.)
Get a hole in one in golf (very difficult now that I only play about once or twice a year.)

I've knocked off a few, to a varying degree, but I can't think of any at the moment other than learn to play the piano.

I never had a bucket list item to have a close encounter with a grizzly bear, but I managed to accomplish it anyway when we stumbled up on a mother and her three cubs during a hike. I'll call that a retroactive bucket list item checked off.

My biggest one is getting to all the US National Parks, but going to American Samoa is a long way to go to check one off.
Like you, seeing the northern lights are another.
Teach my wife to drive a straight drive--some progress made.
Learn to play the banjo.
Climb an active volcano (climbed Vesuvius, but I'm not counting it.)
Run UTMB (avenge a failed 2018 attempt)
Section hike the entire NC Mountains to Sea Trail (~1150 miles)
See the Heels win a National Championship in football.
Write a novel (got pretty far in college and abandoned it.)
Get a hole in one in golf (very difficult now that I only play about once or twice a year.)

I've knocked off a few, to a varying degree, but I can't think of any at the moment other than learn to play the piano.

I never had a bucket list item to have a close encounter with a grizzly bear, but I managed to accomplish it anyway when we stumbled up on a mother and her three cubs during a hike. I'll call that a retroactive bucket list item checked off.
I had a similar experience with a bear on a hike. Without a doubt, the most scared I have ever been in my life. I thought it was going to be over. My dog was barking like crazy... and, the bear turned and bounded off in the other direction. I fell to the ground and was in a cold sweat. My dog must have saved us both, I dunno. Or, the bear was more afraid than I was... which is hard to imagine.

I had a similar experience with a bear on a hike. Without a doubt, the most scared I have ever been in my life. I thought it was going to be over. My dog was barking like crazy... and, the bear turned and bounded off in the other direction. I fell to the ground and was in a cold sweat. My dog must have saved us both, I dunno. Or, the bear was more afraid than I was... which is hard to imagine.

You're lucky. I'd say it could go either way with a dog around. Scares the bear or antagonizes it.

Knowing how unpredictable cats are, I can't see me wanting to pet a big cat (I assume the OP meant lion, tiger, etc....) anytime soon. Especially after that one went off on Roy Horn (Sigfried & Roy)

You're lucky. I'd say it could go either way with a dog around. Scares the bear or antagonizes it.

Knowing how unpredictable cats are, I can't see me wanting to pet a big cat (I assume the OP meant lion, tiger, etc....) anytime soon. Especially after that one went off on Roy Horn (Sigfried & Roy)
We hauled ass BACK DOWN the trail!

There's a place near me where you can go and pet a serval and lynx, and feed a mountain lion through a chain link fence. They can make a chicken thigh or drumstick vanish in about two bites!
There's also a wolf preserve, where you go in the enclosure, as part of a group, where a socialized wolf pack lives. They come up to you pretty much like a friendly dog and you can pet them! Awesome experience!

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT