ADVERTISEMENT

Bukauskas To Join USA Baseball Collegiate National Team

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=210988702

CHAPEL HILL --- North Carolina sophomore right-hander J.B. Bukauskas has accepted an invitation to join the 2016 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team. Bukauskas, who was 7-2 with 111 strikeouts in his second season as a Tar Heel, becomes the 27th player in program history to represent UNC on a United States national team.

"I am very thankful for the opportunity to play for our country this summer," Bukauskas said. "I'm extremely excited to help the team in whatever way possible and am looking forward to getting started."

"This is a tremendous opportunity for J.B. and I have no doubt that he will be an outstanding addition to the Collegiate National Team," Carolina head coach Mike Fox said. "Getting to represent the United States in international competition is an incredible opportunity and I know J.B. handle himself with nothing but class."

Bukauskas made 13 starts for Carolina in 2016 and earned second-team All-ACC honors. The Ashburn, Virginia, product was especially good in conference play, posting a 6-2 record with a 2.45 ERA in 66.0 innings of work. He struck out 91 batters against just 22 walks in 10 league starts and limited opponents to a .223 batting average.

The CNT will train in Southern California prior to traveling to a trio of international friendship series against Chinese Taipei (July 5-9), Japan (July 12-17) and Cuba (July 23-27).

Bukauskas is the first Carolina player to feature on the Collegiate National Team since Skye Bolt in 2013. Daniel Bard (2004) and Tim Federowicz (2006) both featured on U.S. National Teams while at UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT