ADVERTISEMENT

By the numbers: Will the Tar Heels have the ACC's best offense?

No offense to Fedora or the gridiron Heels, but I'll believe it when the results show on the field. With that said though, offense really hasn't been the weakness under Fedora. The Heels have to STOP SOMEBODY to compete. I'm more interested to see what will happen on that side of the ball.

My biggest concern on that side of the ball is play calling. All the pieces are in place for the offense, its up to Fed to make the most of them.

Defense is different issue entirely. Most expect him to get the job done from what I can tell, but you'd expect this to be the transition year for the D, but a forgiving schedule could speed that along nicely.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Sleeping Giant,
Interesting. I've not heard that before regarding the Heels.

For a couple years now, we've bemoaned the defense and talked about if we could just get a decent defense to pair with our unstoppable offense. But is our offense really unstoppable? Moo looked like they had a good time stopping our unstoppable offense. SDSU, VT and Rutgers didn't seem to think our offense was so awesome.

I think our offense is like a Shelby Cobra kit car. Nice, shiny parts that look awesome and when they're assembled they look like the fastest car on the road. But under the hood is just an old 6 cylinder engine that does ok, but certainly doesn't match the exterior.

Sleeping Giant
1.-Snorlax.jpg

i have viewed the issue as execution with respect to the offense
execution by the coaching staff with play calling for situation and talent on the field
execution of the players with respect to running the plays properly or as designed before free lancing

I thought the quick strike was secondary (or a benefit of) the overall desire to spread teams horizontal while wearing them down

My understanding of the concept for this offense was to keep the ball moving gaining min 4 yards per play in an attempt to keep the chains moving and wear down the defense

Unlike others i did not view the concept as a big play offense but an opportunistic big play offense especially as defenses play closer or drop down to stop the horizontal short game (running or passing) and of course pace of play

Misdirection and / or confusion of where to focus i believe is core to this style of offense and it requires recognition by the staff and players of where the defense is weak based on that confusion or matchups

Now last year execution and/or recognition seemed to be the main issue with keeping the chains moving and IMO that blame can be shared equally across coaching and players

I liked the offense at first but not so much now. When things go bad the fast pace accelerates the downward spiral. That Plus watching the ultimate version (oregon) getting their face kicked in by osu makes me wonder if its a gimmick more than a trend.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kind of a bean counter logic that might go over with real meaning if one didn't see the actual season play out LY. Let's see how it goes because "statistics lie and liars use statistics" is what's racing through my mind. I'm not saying the writer is falsifying anything, but just a lot more to projections than crunching last years numbers and returning starters.

Originally posted by ball4me2:

Let's see how it goes because "statistics lie and liars use statistics" is what's racing through my mind. I'm not saying the writer is falsifying anything, but just a lot more to projections than crunching last years numbers and returning starters.
It can be very tempting and dangerous to confuse correlation and causation. Just because two things are related doesn't mean one caused the other.

Yes, he saw an uptick in offensive production among teams that returned 9+ starters. That's a correlation. But there could have been any number of other factors that accounted for the increase in offense. Did those teams get new offensive coordinators? Did they play weaker competition? Was one of the non-returning starters a critical position like QB or RB? Etc.

Originally posted by ball4me2:

Let's see how it goes because "statistics lie and liars use statistics" is what's racing through my mind. I'm not saying the writer is falsifying anything, but just a lot more to projections than crunching last years numbers and returning starters.
It can be very tempting and dangerous to confuse correlation and causation. Just because two things are related doesn't mean one caused the other.

Yes, he saw an uptick in offensive production among teams that returned 9+ starters. That's a correlation. But there could have been any number of other factors that accounted for the increase in offense. Did those teams get new offensive coordinators? Did they play weaker competition? Was one of the non-returning starters a critical position like QB or RB? Etc.
Agreed, all very good points and directly related to actual results.

Originally posted by scoutsupreme:
Answer to the OP is no...Unless we can establish a 1000 yd rusher that isn't the QB.

I think Hood/Logan will go for a lot more than 1000 combined

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT