ADVERTISEMENT

Changes in perception...

Why do you think that is? Honestly. Why would a kid's ranking drop after committing to UNC? Think about it.

And I tend to agree with you that it does.
I think it is likely a combination of factors.
It seems to be a relatively recent thing corresponding to the growing deification of the OAD/shoe culture, i.e., how soon will Player-X be able to cash in?
That explains why a Jaylen Brown (whom I coulda told you would be only a moderately effective college player as a freshman) was ranked so high --- he fit the NBA prototype and thus was a sure OAD. It would also explain why there may be a perceived uk bump.

Another factor as someone alluded to may be the current makeup of "deciders" --- I can't attest to any numbers but the impression that I get is that there are more out there who would use the term "Carolina Kid" passive-aggressively than there used to be.

Why do you think that is? Honestly. Why would a kid's ranking drop after committing to UNC? Think about it.

And I tend to agree with you that it does.

What ya have to understand is after the history we have had there is a lot of anti-Carolina feeling out there. Rivals hated that UNC was seen as the gold standard of how a program should be run, so many felt well what about us and yet they could never reach the level of esteem UNC got or gets for that matter.

You see more & more guys on sports channels like ESPN and Fox with commentators that come from schools that are historically our rivals, a lot of perception is born from these people making comments that are either blatantly anti UNC (they had a field day with the AFAM stuff) or that over state the programs that are our rivals.

You get AAU coaches that "put together deals" with some of our rivals, deals that we just will not do and that creates negativity with some AAU programs that UNC will not play the game with them. And of course all these influence a kid's decision. It isn't about what is said, it is more who they trust and what they say.

These factors along with the perception effects a kid that commits to us as if maybe he isn't as talented as we thought or he would have gone to Ky or duke or kansas. Now of course, much of that is agenda driven and those doing the rankings base their rankings on the talking heads because those doing the ranking do not have the time to really break down all the kids they are ranking, so they take someone else's word for it. Just my opinion...

Reactions: shun1
Jeff lebo was the #1 rated player in his class??!!!
Yep. At least one of the magazines (back in the day) had him at the top. Trying to remember... I think Ferry was also in that class and ranked #1 by some.

Thats when Dean was hitting his stride in cruitin. Most thought we would get Ferry too, and then later Danny Manning. We did get JR.

Last edited:
Reactions: heelmanwilm
One of our stat guys who has the time should go back and list the Rival Top 150 ranking from 2005-2010 and see how they faired. Most likely, there are already some stats out there on this.

I need to stop my obsession with stats. Not working for some reason.

Summer / Final - Rivals

Hansbrough 8 / 10 ( - 2 )
Frasor 22 / 51 ( - 29 )
Ginyard 41 / 38 ( + 3 )
Green 89 / 31 ( + 58 )

Wright 6 / 3 ( + 3 )
Ellington 5 / 8 ( - 3 )
Lawson 12 / 9 ( + 3 )
Stephenson 67 / 41 ( + 26 )
Thompson NR / 72 ( + 29 )

Davis 5 / 15 ( - 10 )
Zeller 16 / 33 ( - 17 )
Drew 84 / 71 ( + 13 )

Henson 5 / 5 ( same )
Strickland 16 / 34 ( - 18 )
McDonald 32 / 65 ( - 33 )
T.Wear 41 / 60 ( - 19)
D.Wear 42 / 59 ( - 17 )

Barnes 2 / 2 ( even )
Bullock 10 / 10 (even)
Marshall 32 / 32 (even)

Composite rankings for 2010 class:

Barnes 1 / 1 ( even )
Bullock 10 / 15 ( - 5)
Marshall 19 / 25 ( -6 )

Looks like the 2010 Rival rankings didn't change, so I went ahead and added the composite rankings from RSCI.

CAROLINA BLUE SKIES SMILE THANK YOU GOD

we are truly blessed to be pulling for the greatest university in the nation

don't you just love it if you are wondering, my tongue is sticking out at those who don't approve of this post

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to stop my obsession with stats. Not working for some reason.

Summer / Final - Rivals

Hansbrough 8 / 10 ( - 2 )
Frasor 22 / 51 ( - 29 )
Ginyard 41 / 38 ( + 3 )
Green 89 / 31 ( + 58 )

Wright 6 / 3 ( + 3 )
Ellington 5 / 8 ( - 3 )
Lawson 12 / 9 ( + 3 )
Stephenson 67 / 41 ( + 26 )
Thompson NR / 72 ( + 29 )

Davis 5 / 15 ( - 10 )
Zeller 16 / 33 ( - 17 )
Drew 84 / 71 ( + 13 )

Henson 5 / 5 ( same )
Strickland 16 / 34 ( - 18 )
McDonald 32 / 65 ( - 33 )
T.Wear 41 / 60 ( - 19)
D.Wear 42 / 59 ( - 17 )

Barnes 2 / 2 ( even )
Bullock 10 / 10 (even)
Marshall 32 / 32 (even)

Composite rankings for 2010 class:

Barnes 1 / 1 ( even )
Bullock 10 / 15 ( - 5)
Marshall 19 / 25 ( -6 )

Looks like the 2010 Rival rankings didn't change, so I went ahead and added the composite rankings from RSCI.

That's good stuff, but I was looking for something else. Going back and listing Rivals final rankings for the Top 100 players in those classes. Some of those top players turned out to be duds! Some never did anything in college. On the other hand, some of the lower ranked players turned out to have much better college careers.

The player is not yet committed, and it is most certainly not Jalek.

gary, now that Robinson has committed, I can say that was the kid I suspect you were talking about. From what I heard it seems he began thinking that he was a Ky level talent was expecting them to get involved. Not that a kid getting a big head is all that awful, IMO most of the top 20 players have inflated heads to some extent. I wanted this kid as a development project 3yr to 4yr player. But we wil have to move on to another guy, he wasn't a game changer but he could have been a nice guy to have down the road.

gary, now that Robinson has committed, I can say that was the kid I suspect you were talking about. From what I heard it seems he began thinking that he was a Ky level talent was expecting them to get involved. Not that a kid getting a big head is all that awful, IMO most of the top 20 players have inflated heads to some extent. I wanted this kid as a development project 3yr to 4yr player. But we wil have to move on to another guy, he wasn't a game changer but he could have been a nice guy to have down the road.
top 20? Hell there are kids on the local HS team that nobody has ever heard of that think they will be in the NBA one day. Just look at some of the kids who declare for NBA draft

Jeff lebo was the #1 rated player in his class??!!!
I honestly don't remember anyone ranking Lebo #1. There just weren't that many recruiting services back then. Ferry was the player of the year and pretty much the consensus #1. Lebo was 1st team All USA Today and of course recruiting wasn't the "industry" back then that it has become today.

That was all Shammond.
While I'm glad he got the job it's a shame it's working for Rick Stansbury who is a sleaze. Guess Shammond provided some needed cover on this one, 'cause as soon as Robinson announced the net was buzzing with Stansbury accusations. Maybe Shammond will be a good influence ;)

I honestly don't remember anyone ranking Lebo #1. There just weren't that many recruiting services back then. Ferry was the player of the year and pretty much the consensus #1. Lebo was 1st team All USA Today and of course recruiting wasn't the "industry" back then that it has become today.
Yeah back in those days it was all print, but I can assure you that at least one of the mags had Jeff #1 (I probably still have it somewhere in a box). IIRC Lebo lit up the Beach Ball Classic and was all the buzz, then Ferry's recruitment blew up with a bunch o' media coverage of the UNC-dook battle, and he became the darling of the mags... and being Bob Ferry's (Washington Bullets GM) kid in a big media market certainly didn't hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT