ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2023

Diaz to Dook.

Tulane seems ready to hire Troys Jon Sumrall. If he wins there, he will be picked up by an SEC or ACC team.

Last edited:
Pitt hires Kade Bell as OC. Bell's offense at WCU looked magnificent. If he can do that at Pitt, Pitt can win the ACC again.

If I thought Mack capable of making a good hire for WR coach, I'd champion Kerwin Bell hiring Lonnie Galloway as his new OC.

Baylor hires Chris Kapilovic as OL coach. I liked him as UNC OLcoach, but he di not get it done as OC. Of course, Fedora being Fedora could not have helped.

Reactions: bluetoe
Maybe off topic but the seat down in coral gables has to be getting hot. With all the so called big time recruits and transfers Miami is getting they have no excuses for not winning. So 2024 could be his make or break year. They seem to be the hotspot destination rn

Maybe off topic but the seat down in coral gables has to be getting hot. With all the so called big time recruits and transfers Miami is getting they have no excuses for not winning. So 2024 could be his make or break year. They seem to be the hotspot destination rn
The Miami boosters who hired Cristobal are not like UNC boosters, and administrators, who are A-OK with mediocrity. They are itching to win. Watching FSU get to 13-0 has just revved them up more.

Saban has just hired former Michigan LB coach, George Helow, for his staff - he'll be in the booth, not on the sideline.

I see where elko hasn’t hired a DC yet maybe he’s waiting on Chizik to be done with the bowl game.

1 year after losing OC Rees to Bama, ND now loses OC Gerad Parker to be Troy HC. So Elko needs an OC hire as well. I nominate Mack Brown.
I see where elko hasn’t hired a DC yet maybe he’s waiting on Chizik to be done with the bowl game.

Manny Diaz has his OC at Dook: Jonathan Brewer, who last year was co-OC at SMU. Brewer was at Miami for 2 years when Diaz was HC and current SMU HC Rhett Lashlee was OC.

Diaz hired Texas State's HC Jonathan Patke as the new defensive coordinator.

Diaz hired Texas State's HC Jonathan Patke as the new defensive coordinator.
Patke was the DC at Texas State. His defense gave up 77 in one game this year and gave up over 35 ppg. Gave up 30+ 8 times this season. He worked with Diaz at Miami, Miss St and Louisiana Tech.

Patke was the DC at Texas State. His defense gave up 77 in one game this year and gave up over 35 ppg. Gave up 30+ 8 times this season. He worked with Diaz at Miami, Miss St and Louisiana Tech.
Diaz doing his version of the Mack buddy system for a staff.

OU hiring Jacksonville St DC Zac Alley as DC. Alley is very young but has been about as good a G5 DC as anybody could expect. He was a GA under Venables at Clemson. He is the kind of upcoming potential star that UNC always needs to sniff out. Hiring coaches is just like recruiting players: if you are not already a Big Name Brand, then you must work very hard to identity and woo unheralded talent. Relying on your friends dn thei friends and families to send to more Drake Mayes aint ever going to help much at all.

Why do none of the teams in need of a head coach want to interview an active HOF coach at a prestigious university? 🤷🤔

Same reason they never interviewed Saban. Because he's old and not going anywhere.
Saban could not be bought, and nobody not even a Vandy, wants Mack Brown.

That's an overstatement. I suppose that all kinds off 1AA programs would like having Mack, and so would Rice or Tulsa.

Among the names being mentioned most often for Arizona is OC-Brennan Carroll, son of Pete. Fisch was an NFL OC, so you have to wonder how much of what was good for Arizonaa's offense was due to Fisch rather than OC Carroll.

Oregon OC Will Stein, who is very young, is being mentioned. He is a Louisville native and former UofL QB. He is a young coordinator who might prove a good 'risky' hire for UNC.

South AL HC Kane Wommack named new Bama DC. He was at IU as DC when Kalen DeBoer was brought in as OC - the result was one of the 2 or 3 best Hoosier teams in history. Wommack is one of those young guys I think UNC should be keeping an eye on.

Arizona hires San Jose HC Brent Brennan to replace Fisch. Brennan has very good Pac/West Coast experience, but his HC record is poor. However, winning anything at San Jose St its a big deal. And he was 7-1 in 2020 and has just gone to back to back bowls. On the other hand, he is 0-3 in bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT