ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
For gtee....

Florida has hired Jim McElwain from Colorado State. Formal announcement forthcoming.

Nebraska has just announced the hiring of Mike Riley, formerly the head coach of Oregon State.

Michigan is on the clock.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
For gtee....

Florida has hired Jim McElwain from Colorado State. Formal announcement forthcoming.

Nebraska has just announced the hiring of Mike Riley, formerly the head coach of Oregon State.

Michigan is on the clock.
2 unimpressive hires so far. Riley is supposedly a good coach but Oregon St certainly hasn't set the world on fire. Hopefully Michigan does better.

I disagree about McElwain. Fundamentally sound with an excellent pedigree. Of course the same could be said of Muschamp, so we'll see.

Riley is a head-scratcher for sure, especially considering he's in the autumn of his career.

Other notable openings:

- Auburn DC
- Clemson OC

Possible openings in the near future:

- SCar DC
- Carolina DC and/or DB's coach and/or etc.

oregon st has floundered lately, so maybe they weren't so intent on keeping him...still an odd selection unless frost is with him as oc.

imo, it's a good hire by florida...ncaa is scaring teams away from gundy and rich rod...thought those two were primed for big jobs.

something is going on at scarolina...just not sure who is being honest about all of it right now.

word is muschamp has been offered by auburn, a&m, and scarolina.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Other notable openings:

- Auburn DC
- Clemson OC

Hopeful openings in the near future:

- Carolina DC and/or DB's coach and/or etc.
corrected

Muschamp probably to Auburn. I don't think he wants to coach under Spurrier. Much of the national media feels McElwain is a weak hire for a team the status of Florida.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Muschamp probably to Auburn. I don't think he wants to coach under Spurrier. Much of the national media feels McElwain is a weak hire for a team the status of Florida.
He may well take the Auburn job, but why would you think he wouldn't want to coach under Spurrier?

Read article on another site and it said Muschamp to SouthCarolina was very doubtful.

Originally posted by gteeitup:
muschamp prefers not to coach defense for a team that runs the hurry up/spread...and why would he?
Very good question. Any spread HC is putting pressure on his D staff that the D staff of a team running a traditional Pro Set with 2 RBs and lots of play action does not face.

That being the case, if the spread HC seems to be nonchalant about his Ds giving up nearly unimaginable numbers of points and yards, keeping the D staff that oversees such debacles, then the message is clear: if you wnat a good resume as a D coach you stay away from that HC, and if you are mediocre as a D coacg you want to work under that spread HC because you will be protected, if only because his faith in a spread offense blinds him to the wrost D in school history right under his nose.

i recall ellis johnson lamenting the fact that he hated practicing vs the spread...not only does it prevent you from hitting and being physical in practice, but you don't really have enough personal during the week to be sound against it...and scarolina doesn't even run the up tempo offense.

i don't blame muschamp at all and he seems completely validated when looking at those systems around the country.

gtee, living in Columbia, you are probably closer to the situation, do you believe that there's validity in Tanner sweetening the pot by including HCIW for WM?

Originally posted by ole bowl guy:

gtee, living in Columbia, you are probably closer to the situation, do you believe that there's validity in Tanner sweetening the pot by including HCIW for WM?
don't think it matters to muschamp...it might matter a great deal to sos, and more importantly the fanbase...let's see how this opens up though...it's still fluid as far as ward, botkin, and adams.

There are reports that Michigan reached out to David Cutcliffe.

So there's hope that maybe some other HC will want Koenning and Disch as co-DCs.

Gary Anderson leaving Wisky to go to Oregon State.......Didn't see this one coming , is an Antonio Williams decommit on the horizon?.

I also heard Cut told Mechegan no thanks. I don't think he is cut out for that kind of pressure. He can beat a few cupcakes and play an easy conference schedule and get 8 wins at dook but on 2nd thought probably at Mich. too.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Gary Anderson leaving Wisky to go to Oregon State.......Didn't see this one coming , is an Antonio Williams decommit on the horizon?.

I also heard Cut told Mechegan no thanks. I don't think he is cut out for that kind of pressure. He can beat a few cupcakes and play an easy conference schedule and get 8 wins at dook but on 2nd thought probably at Mich. too.
It is indeed a shock, as Wisconsin fills an 80,000 seat stadium while Oregon St is the #2 program in a small state and easily out spent by Oregon with the Nike fortune. This is truly a step down to a less prestigious program.

But Anderson may love living in the West.

why be so cheap?...it's not just football either, right?
UNC has the attitude: we are so fine and desirable that anybody will take less pay just to be in Chapel Hill. There are a couple of Alavarez quotes that indicate that he and Wisconsin have the same attitude.

Bo Ryan probably would agree that the attitude is there and deserved. He'll stay there for life, no matter how much any other school or the NBA might offer. But I'll bet that his successors won't.

If you remain on the cheap, especially in football, you are handcuffing yourself.

Here is a USA Today list of highets paid college football assistants.

Looks like Paul Chryst to Wisconsin is imminent. Pitt is on the clock, looking for its 12th HC in the last 4 years I believe.
Talk about a has-been of a program............yeesh.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
why be so cheap?...it's not just football either, right?
UNC has the attitude: we are so fine and desirable that anybody will take less pay just to be in Chapel Hill. There are a couple of Alavarez quotes that indicate that he and Wisconsin have the same attitude.

Bo Ryan probably would agree that the attitude is there and deserved. He'll stay there for life, no matter how much any other school or the NBA might offer. But I'll bet that his successors won't.

If you remain on the cheap, especially in football, you are handcuffing yourself.

Here is a USA Today list of highets paid college football assistants.
Wow, looking at that list is an eye opener. Our assistants don't show up on the list until the #310 unless I missed
someone scrolling through. No wonder we can't attract top assistant coaching talent. I think it was Butch Davis
who negotiated for higher wages for the assistants. Of course, there was a lot of shady deals that went on with
that staff.

SI article on Wisconsin losing coaches.

Wisky has major probelms that are UNC-like For example, it pays its assistants poorly. Even Minnesota pays its assistants more.
My friend, who is a big Wisky guy (alum and booster) told me just this morning that Alverez and Wisconsin pushed their coach out the door because they knew they could get Chryst and they wanted him badly. The guy that just left (his name escapes me) just never meshed with the culture of Wisconsin and the relationship was doomed.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Wisky has major probelms that are UNC-like For example, it pays its assistants poorly. Even Minnesota pays its assistants more.
My friend, who is a big Wisky guy (alum and booster) told me just this morning that Alverez and Wisconsin pushed their coach out the door because they knew they could get Chryst and they wanted him badly. The guy that just left (his name escapes me) just never meshed with the culture of Wisconsin and the relationship was doomed.
Gary Andersen was the guy that just left. I read your link to refresh my memory.

Greg Schiano reportedly in contact with Pitt about their head coaching vacancy. Am I only the only person who thinks that guy is an enormous douche nozzle? Can't imagine seeing his ugly mug every year. Ugh.

Greg Schiano reportedly in contact with Pitt about their head coaching vacancy. Am I only the only person who thinks that guy is an enormous douche nozzle? Can't imagine seeing his ugly mug every year. Ugh.
*raises hand*

but.....SCHIANO MEN!!!

Still one of the funniest sports-related things I've ever read.

"Schiano men lead...they do not pursue."
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

That tells me that the reports of Alvarez as as far too hands -on, as wanting a Yes Man protegee as HC are true. Chryst was exactly .500 as Pitt HC - mediocre defined.

Pitt fired AD Pederson. Most Pitt fans despised the guy, and now Pitt must hire an AD and football coach.

Pitt fired AD Pederson. Most Pitt fans despised the guy, and now Pitt must hire an AD and football coach.
Yeah Pederson was hated by their fans -- based on their message boards anyway. Even so, it's a very interesting move to fire the AD while not having a football coach in place. The new athletic director, whomever it may be, will have quite the baptism by fire. Pitt football support is at an all-time low and that program cannot have another mediocre hire for head football coach. I do not envy their next AD!

Why would Butch even entertain going to Pittsburgh? I can't see that. He's too big for that program. He was too big for UNC but we got him because of the whole "sleeping giant" thing and Chapel Hill is a pretty nice place to be. Pittsburgh, not so much.

And gtee, what should I expect to see from the Mad Hatter? That dude isn't going anywhere. He already said he's out of the Michigan pool. If not there, then where?

still watch the michigan/les miles thing...he might be trying to atm lsu, we'll see.
Miles is the ultimate wild man who might do anything on the spur of the moment. He would be stupid to leave LSU - the onlky P5 team in a state that plays excellent HS football and has a long broder with TX. And that could be the reason he would go back to his alma mater, with much tougher admissions and many top players in state and an in-state rival that is now w Top 10 team with an excellent HC.

More Pitt fans seem to think Mich St DC Narduzzi is the guy Pitt wants. Narduzzi is the most prized DC in the game right now, or maybe 2nd behgind Kirby Smart. He has coached at Miami of OH and Cincinnati, which along with the Mich St time means he could recruit well against Big Ten teams for Pitt.

I thinbk if Narduzzi were to get a top OC, he could be a success as HC at Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT