ADVERTISEMENT

Cobb County Braves

Starting to agree with you. I always considered Teheran to be a bit overrated, but I still considered him to be a very solid guy in the rotation. It really looks like Jair Jurrjens all over again.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The problem (IMO) with Teheran is he doesn't know how to deal with adversity, and adversity is certainly what he's facing this season.

He's admitted in interviews that he's never been roughed up like this consistently before at any level. I think he just doesn't know how to cope with and overcome this bad run of form. Plus his body language is lousy. I can't imagine the veterans are thrilled about that.

Folty to AAA, and I disagree completely with it. The dude has already proven he can light up minor league hitting, so I don't understand what good that does him. There's only one way to learn how to pitch to major league hitters, and that's to keep throwing him out there every fifth day. They obviously know his situation a lot better than I do, so whatever I guess.

^ I kinda agree with your logic, but at the same time, the dude got lit up like a Roman candle every single start save for like one I think. We just happened to score a ton of runs every time he pitched to mask it.

It would be one thing if he was throwing good pitches and guys were just hitting good pitches against him. That's not the case though. His command hasn't improved any. He gives up a ton of homers and that does nothing for your development or your confidence. I don't know what they have planned for him or who they'll replace him with, though.

You're right though that on the surface, this doesn't seem like a "build for the future" move, which is supposed to be the purpose of this season. Perhaps they've seen enough to know he won't cut it in the majors?

Yeah, I guess I can see them moving him down to work on his command in AAA; didn't think of that. I just think he's trying too hard and needs to calm down and do what got him there. He throws way too much offspeed stuff. For a guy capable of consistently throwing 98, you better be throwing fastballs at high rate, but he just doesn't do it. I don't know if that's on the catcher, the manager or Folty, but someone needs to tell him to throw that fastball like crazy. I understand he's having location issues, but still, throw the thing. I do often wonder if he's better served as a potential Kimbrel replacement since we have so many SP prospects.

Anyway, my guess is Wisler will get his shot next, but who really knows.

Definitely want Wisler to get a shot. And I certainly wouldn't mind giving Folty a crack in the bullpen as a potential Jim Johnson replacement. I mean, nothing can be worse than the 'pen we've dealt with to this point.

Also, it amuses me how this has devolved into a "Braves discussion with coolwaterunc & TarHeelNation11 and no one else" thread.

The DBacks trade Bronson Arroyo and one of their top pitching prospects for.....Phil Gosselin. Huh? Ummmm...thanks? You seriously want to do that for a backup infielder? Cool. I understand the desire to get rid of Arroyo's contract, but a top prospect? Hart should be executive of the year.

Last edited:
Hart apparently has Jedi mind powers on these trades. There's some guy on Twitter who covers the Diamondbacks (Bowman retweeted him). Find his timeline if you can. He lost his mind when hearing about this trade lol. He tweeted like 3 times "this trade makes no sense for Arizona."

Harper throwing a temper tantrum at himself instead of running in the 9th on a fly ball. Dude is such a joke and is horrible for baseball.

I guess you can stick a fork in this group. Freeman's injury killed what small amount of hope this team had to make any sort of impact this year.

Braves are trading Alex Wood, Jose Peraza and Jim Johnson to the Dodgers. I don't know what we're getting. I'm freaking out WTF? OMG. Does anyone care? Holy crap.........

So we're giving up our second best SP AND our top prospect for a 30-year-old Cuban "prospect" who has never played a single game in MLB and a few other guys who probably won't have much of an impact. I've been behind Hart from day one, but this one is a head-scratcher, to be sure. Unless Olivera turns out to be the next big thing, we got COMPLETELY jobbed.

@coolwaterunc I care and still have been watching. Just haven't posted in this thread. Still formulating my opinion on the trade from last night. Will post my thoughts when I can articulate them clearly.

Spoiler though: at first, I too thought we got jobbed, but I don't see it quite as negatively now. The highest risk that comes with this deal is putting a lot of faith in our current prospects panning out (Mallex Smith, Tyrell Jenkins in particular).

like i've mentioned before, until i see that the org cares, i really don't.

as long as i'm typing though, why is simmons still on the roster if the org is looking at being better when they move into their new digs?

like i've mentioned before, until i see that the org cares, i really don't.

as long as i'm typing though, why is simmons still on the roster if the org is looking at being better when they move into their new digs?
That I cannot answer. I know the Mets inquired about Simmons but the Braves quoted them a "ridiculous" price. I'd have traded that kid by now -- he is a GREAT piece to move. Yes, he's an amazing defensive player, but he can't hit worth a lick. You can find plenty of SS's who can hit infinitely better and can field satisfactory enough to justify the move.

That I cannot answer. I know the Mets inquired about Simmons but the Braves quoted them a "ridiculous" price. I'd have traded that kid by now -- he is a GREAT piece to move. Yes, he's an amazing defensive player, but he can't hit worth a lick. You can find plenty of SS's who can hit infinitely better and can field satisfactory enough to justify the move.
Yeah I'm starting to believe Simmons just isn't going to grasp hitting. It's frustrating because at times, he shows the ability to be a guy who can hit .280 with gap power (pretty much what Cameron Maybin is doing) but he just keeps insisting to swing as hard as he can and screw himself into the ground. With Ozzie Albies on his way up, it wouldn't surprise me if Simmons is gone in the future. They might be just keeping him to see if he can prove himself as a hitter, but if he hasn't done that by the time Albies is ready, I think he might be gone.

you guys are on it...he reminds me of belliard/escobar but not really either one too strongly...just a great defensive ss that occasionally gets a big hit.

maybe they are being prudent and waiting to get the offer that they've been sucked into in the past...and that's fine by me, but when you extend a guy with that kind of deal but are clearly in tank mode, it's baffling to me.

Yeah I'm starting to believe Simmons just isn't going to grasp hitting. It's frustrating because at times, he shows the ability to be a guy who can hit .280 with gap power (pretty much what Cameron Maybin is doing) but he just keeps insisting to swing as hard as he can and screw himself into the ground. With Ozzie Albies on his way up, it wouldn't surprise me if Simmons is gone in the future. They might be just keeping him to see if he can prove himself as a hitter, but if he hasn't done that by the time Albies is ready, I think he might be gone.
Hate to say I told you so but... ;)

Ok here's my opinion of the trade (which still isn't confirmed yet, by the way):

The good:
- dumping Luis Avilan --> yes he was a workhorse, but he was beyond frustrating. He created too many dangerous situations when coming in with the bases empty. I had lost faith in him. Replacing him with Paco Rodriguez is a solid move.
- getting essentially a first-round pick.
- getting Hector Olivera --> obviously, this is *potentially* a good thing. If things work out, he will be a powerful bat in our lineup to pair with Freeman and hopefully a rejuvenated '16 version of Markakis.

The bad:
- Losing Alex Wood. Not only is he a young stud, he's also best friends with Shelby Miller (who know has to be our ace), so you have to wonder if team chemistry will be affected at all.
- dealing Peraza. Clearly the organization has lost faith in him OR thinks Jace Peterson and Cameron Maybin are both legitimately here to stay and lock down those two positions. I'm not super upset about losing Peraza to be honest with you, but I don't think it's ever a good look to trade your #1 overall prospect, regardless of the situation.

The ugly:
- Dealing Wood means we are most likely planning on sticking with Teheran for the long haul. That freakin' sucks because he's done. I know he's only 24, but he's a headcase. I have zero confidence in him fixing things and frankly, I don't like his body language on the mound. He pouts. I'm cool with it if he proves me wrong, but as of today, I don't like it.

Overall, my first reaction was WTF when I saw this trade, and I still don't love it.....but I'm sorta OK with it now. I hate losing Wood, but let's face it, we're still in a crisis when it comes to offense. We have zero power on our roster and it's taking its toll on the whole lineup. We desperately need some pop to protect the scrappier hitters like Jace and Cameron.

I will say that this deal could work in our favor but it's got a ton of risk attached to it. Namely:

1). By dealing Wood, you're stating that you're confident enough that the young arms will pan out in the years to come. That means guys like Jenkins (and Folty too) need to come good and turn into starters, otherwise you're going to be in trouble in a couple years.
2). Hector Olivera. Hart clearly is very high on this guy, and I'm inclined to trust his judgment. But the fact remains that this dude is 30 and has yet to play in the bigs. You can never be 100% sure he'll pan out. Plus, he ain't cheap, even though we're getting him for less than what we offered earlier this year.

Trade is official. Meh..........despite everything I said above, I still don't like the deal. I can tolerate it but I don't like it. Too much risk and we gave up too much. Olivera has to pan out or this trade might turn into a lighter version of the dreaded Teixera disaster.

I hate losing Wood too, but whatever I guess. Peraza's OBP pretty much being the same as his batting average is what got him out of the organization. You can't lead off and have an approach like that, I don't care if you run as fast as Usain Bolt. We're still listening on Teheran, and as much as I'm leaning to say that we're not going to deal him, I have no idea what this FO is going to do. This is the most unpredictable bunch I've ever seen. With as many prospects we have, someone is bound to step up and replace Wood (and Teheran if he's leaves too). I mean, check the list out. I'm leaving Wisler off since he seems to have cemented himself in the rotation.

Mike Foltynewicz
Williams Perez
Manny Banuelos
Tyrell Jenkins
Touki Toussaint
Max Fried
Colby Allard
Lucas Sims
Many, many more that I can't think of at the moment

To say some of our starting pitching is expendable would be an understatement. Yes, it's a risk, but with that list, SOMEONE has to be good, right?

the braves freakin suck ass...the fact that i still have them on my score alert really makes me mad...i'm the fool.

I more meant the field players but then I threw in MB, so yeah, thank you for correcting me. Huddy included.

What irks me even more is how the heck did SF stock up on all these country boys from Braves country? Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner (who was committed to Carolina but went pro), Buster Posey, Jake Peavy.....

And they've got Chris Heston who played at ECU and they've got a couple Texans as well (Belt and Matt Duffy I think). They play in San Francisco but they're basically a Southern all-star team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT