ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting the cord (I know, we have discussed this)

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
Need a fresh perspective.
Ive had directv for many years. I see alot of streaming services avaliable now and looking to make the move. I currently have HBOMAX, hulu, netflix,prime, disney plus, and direct. I also watch youtube alot. I find myself less inclined to watch sports as i once was so looking at some options. I am thinking of dropping direct, and getting cbs, hulu live, and something that has halmark for my wife. Any thoughts

I tried Hulu live before. The layout was garbage, so unless it's changed I don't recommend it. I'm using YouTube TV now and I like it.

Reactions: dadika13
I kinda like hulu for the ability to watch older shows. How is the DVR option for youtube vs hulu?

I kinda like hulu for the ability to watch older shows. How is the DVR option for youtube vs hulu?
Not sure about Hulu. YouTube TV has unlimited cloud based storage. I think both have free trials. I would recommend trying the free trials for both to see which one you like best.

admittedly, the only reason i had directv was because of sunday ticket...i had directv since 1998 and never thought once about cost because i was spoiling myself.

been through one year of streaming with the smart tv’s, roku, ytv, etc and love it...all the above recs above are great...i bought red zone for $5.99 during football season and all-22 for the coaches film and that satisfied my nfl itch.

admittedly, the only reason i had directv was because of sunday ticket...i had directv since 1998 and never thought once about cost because i was spoiling myself.

been through one year of streaming with the smart tv’s, roku, ytv, etc and love it...all the above recs above are great...i bought red zone for $5.99 during football season and all-22 for the coaches film and that satisfied my nfl itch.

That all-22 is awesome.

Reactions: gteeitup
+1 for YouTube TV. Very easy to use and it’s no hassle to add/drop premium channels with a few clicks

I’ve been putting of dropping cable for years. There is not but a few channels we even watch.

Youtube TV's recording feature is impressive. I switched to it when sling temp dropped acc network. Local network channels too. App is great on phone,laptop, tablet, etc. You can basically bring your setup with you anywhere via a fire stick or roku stick.

Not sure if youtube has hallmark though.

If you don't dvr, and care less about sports, then see if Sling carries Hallmark. It seemed a tad more buggy than youtube, but it's cheap and has 20+ channels (including espn, espn2).

Rabbit ears will pull digital signal for local cbs...

Last edited:
We're in the same boat, currently with Spectrum, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. My biggest problem is my (very) non-tech wife. She can use the remote for Spectrum TV, but if I try to explain how to open Netflix or Prime, it's better if I just do it myself. If we went to YTV, all of our TV would be through apps and I don't know if she'd ever learn how to use it. We don't watch many channels.

We're in the same boat, currently with Spectrum, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. My biggest problem is my (very) non-tech wife. She can use the remote for Spectrum TV, but if I try to explain how to open Netflix or Prime, it's better if I just do it myself. If we went to YTV, all of our TV would be through apps and I don't know if she'd ever learn how to use it. We don't watch many channels.
You would just need to show her how to open it on a roku/fire stick. Once you have it pulled up, it looks pretty much like a normal cable/satellite menu.

Tech and my wife is like oil and water. Even remotes are hard for her. Smart phones almost killed her. She would delete each text after they came thru. Found her trying to delete the who android platform on her 1st phone so she wouldnt waste her memory.
I downloaded what apps we would watch for a trial run last night. Now for the real test. She if she can adapt.

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
I just found something crazy when my roku remote died. You can use your phone's roku app instead of an actual remote. Kinda mind-blowing that your phone's app can send a signal (wifi or _G) and the roku stick plugged into your tv will respond (and fast). The app shows same buttons as remote. Headphone mode let's you mute the tv and cast over phone's volume to wireless headphones and stuff.

Reactions: gteeitup
Can someone give me an example of actual cost savings or is this driven by another reason.

Can someone give me an example of actual cost savings or is this driven by another reason.
Its cost savings by far. Plus much less hardware to deal with. Almost a month ago, i was paying over 180 dollar for direct. No premuim channels. Included DVR, and 6 minis plus suscrpition. Also had netflix, prime, disney plus, and hulu.
65 covers you tube tv with 85 channels and cloud dvr
Added paramount and discovery plus, and hbo max. All with subscription. Around 100 and ill have more to watch than ill ever know what to do with. Also, things like paramount, once i watch a few of the series, ill cut it off for a few months. Same with any of them really. Prime is my least watched one. I have it mainly for package delivery. Also has music app avaliable as well

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT