ADVERTISEMENT

CWS bracket

berry30

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2007
Can someone explain how the CWS bracket works with the elimination games and stuff? I know the thing the Diamond Heels need to do is keep winning, but if/when we get by LSU, how is the bracket set up? Does the loss to the wolfpeckers not matter? Any help would be appreciated. Go Heels!!

If we Win, we then play the loser of the MooU-UCLA game. If we were to win that game, we would have to play the winner of the MooU-UCLA.

Because it is double elimination, we would have to beat that team twice to get to the final series against the survivor of the other bracket. And that series would be 2 of 3, like a Super regional.

berry30,

I think it helps to have a visualization to understand the double elimination format. That's why I love this web page from the NCAA. Click the link, and then click the chart in the middle of the screen that says "Click to Expand."

Let's just focus on the bottom half of the bracket. UNC and NCSU played in the first game, and UCLA and LSU played in the second game. The winners of those games -- NCSU and UCLA -- moved on to play each other in the "Winners Bracket." The losers of those games -- UNC and LSU -- moved on to play each other in the "Losers Bracket."

It's a double elimination tournament. Since UNC and LSU already had 1 loss apiece, the loser of that game would have 2 losses and be eliminated. That's what happened to LSU today.

UNC is still in the Losers Bracket with 1 loss. On Thursday, they will play the loser of tonight's game between NCSU and UCLA. Since the loser of that game will then have 1 loss, and UNC already has 1 loss, it will once again be an "elimination game" where the loser's season ends.

The winner of the Thursday game in the Losers Bracket will move on to face the winner of the NCSU-UCLA game, who at that point will still be undefeated. That means whichever team from the Losers Bracket advances, they will have to beat the team from the Winners Bracket twice in a row to advance to the finals. If the team from the Losers Bracket loses 1 game against the team from the Winners Bracket, that team will have lost 2 games and be eliminated.

Basically, whatever team wins the first 2 games has a huge advantage because they play one less game than any of the teams in the Losers Bracket.

That makes zero sense, it has to be Rodon or he comes out of the pen at the first hint of trouble but I don't even get that! Loose this game and he can rest a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT