ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: Two Schools Of Thought About Tez Walker...

I have no problem with him not playing in the Bowl Game…Let the young guys get the reps…

UNC went to bat for him and itself with the NCAA. He owes nothing
He is replaceable, but he has only one irreplaceable career to be concerned with. I said the same about those players who skipped the Orange Bowl and who IMO would have given us a win.

If I had an NFL career and serious dollars staring me in the face, I'd dare anyone to give me a hard time if I decided to not jeopardize it. I almost want Drake to skip it for the same reason, and also to see what Connor Harrell can do while getting a head start on next season.

UNC went to bat for him and itself with the NCAA. He owes nothing
He is replaceable, but he has only one irreplaceable career to be concerned with. I said the same about those players who skipped the Orange Bowl and who IMO would have given us a win.

If I had an NFL career and serious dollars staring me in the face, I'd dare anyone to give me a hard time if I decided to not jeopardize it. I almost want Drake to skip it for the same reason, and also to see what Connor Harrell can do while getting a head start on next season.
You can take out big dollar insurance for such a game or post-season.

The fact remains that if players see their obligations as only when they wish to live up to them, then the schools likewise have no reason to care about making certain players who do lose a career get the education or any medical help, etc. Obligations either work both ways or no way.

If UNC does not prepare a game plan to have Hudson also play significant downs/series, then it is a failure in terms of QB. They have similar HS backgrounds and physical skills. There may be nothing between them except for Harrel being on campus a year longer, and that lead can evaporate with Hudson getting reps with then 1st team during practice fort a bowl and then getting snaps during the bowl. Both need to play, not just in mop up for a minute, so the staff can see what each has now and thus where each truly stands before Spring when Johnson gets into the picture as well.

You can take out big dollar insurance for such a game or post-season.

The fact remains that if players see their obligations as only when they wish to live up to them, then the schools likewise have no reason to care about making certain players who do lose a career get the education or any medical help, etc. Obligations either work both ways or no way.

If UNC does not prepare a game plan to have Hudson also play significant downs/series, then it is a failure in terms of QB. They have similar HS backgrounds and physical skills. There may be nothing between them except for Harrel being on campus a year longer, and that lead can evaporate with Hudson getting reps with then 1st team during practice fort a bowl and then getting snaps during the bowl. Both need to play, not just in mop up for a minute, so the staff can see what each has now and thus where each truly stands before Spring when Johnson gets into the picture as well.
are you attacking my stance on one hand while supporting it on the other?

Insurance doesn't compensate loss of a career, or potential loss of draft status possibly due to factors not under the insured's control. It just compensates some of the potential money that might have been paid. Huge difference. You won't convince me that players recruited to perform a task for the university is in any way obligated once their commitment/compensation is fulfilled. It's a two way street.

Certainly it's honorable for the employer to provide help in the case of a disability. That's why workmen's comp laws ere established, and that's the law that NCAA members don't want to have applied to them, although the players are de facto employees. I like to think that our school would take care of those players in any case, but certainly it doesn't behoove them to make a case for workmen's comp by doing otherwise. Sorry, that's my cynical side, but my cynicism isn't baseless.

Harrell is the designated backup. He has shown glimpses, to me at least, of having some potential. This bowl game is almost meaningless to me but even if it wasn't, my attitude and outlook would be the same. The game is nothing more to me (especially now) than to see what we might have in store for next year. If the backup to the now former backup gets some snaps, I'm not against it. But Harrell should at least get the majority simply because of his assigned status.

Let me state something that I haven't seen said elsewhere. If I put myself in Drake Maye's shoes, I'm feeling like I've been let down by the coaching staff. I'm not saying he's placing blame, he doesn't seem to be that kind of person. But if I'm Drake Maye, I'm not just protecting my interests in not playing in the bowl...I'm not playing because my heart isn't completely in it. Just surmising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT