ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Smith ?

smooth as butter

Hall of Famer
Jul 23, 2002
Is UNC still high on his list..I been hearing latelty that NC State is after him hard, they trying to get a replacement for Cat Barber when he leaves.

The problem we have wth Dennis is our PG picture is not really clear, does Joel Blow up and leave after next season, the assume right now is he should be a much larger part of the team but assuming Joel leaves after next season is a hard thing for me to envision.. Does dennis consider a duo PG role, similar to what we should see with Marcus & Joel this coming season, I feel strongly he would but kenny is there at the 2 and jalek is on his way.

These kids are looking to those just right fits that allow them to show case their game and have a shot at the NBA after one season and playing time is a maga factor. How does dennis look at our projected roster for what be his frosh season, not even does he start but what is the caliber of talent at his position and how much depth is there, that effect how much PT he feels he will get. Thorton is a problem for him if he stays at duke more than 1 season, does cat leave after next season, and of course how much court time would Joel take from him?

The other real question is how comitted to the trio of he, Giles, & Tatum is he? OR, how much has he enjoyed playing wiht Bam? I don't like our chances at all with the trio, IMO if that happens it is duke or Ky that gets them. If he follows Bam then I like our chances as well as NC State. But if ya want an out of the blue team to really watch, a team that could pull the trio together, keep an eye out for Wake and Danny Manning...

The problem we have wth Dennis is our PG picture is not really clear, does Joel Blow up and leave after next season, the assume right now is he should be a much larger part of the team but assuming Joel leaves after next season is a hard thing for me to envision.. Does dennis consider a duo PG role, similar to what we should see with Marcus & Joel this coming season, I feel strongly he would but kenny is there at the 2 and jalek is on his way.

These kids are looking to those just right fits that allow them to show case their game and have a shot at the NBA after one season and playing time is a maga factor. How does dennis look at our projected roster for what be his frosh season, not even does he start but what is the caliber of talent at his position and how much depth is there, that effect how much PT he feels he will get. Thorton is a problem for him if he stays at duke more than 1 season, does cat leave after next season, and of course how much court time would Joel take from him?

The other real question is how comitted to the trio of he, Giles, & Tatum is he? OR, how much has he enjoyed playing wiht Bam? I don't like our chances at all with the trio, IMO if that happens it is duke or Ky that gets them. If he follows Bam then I like our chances as well as NC State. But if ya want an out of the blue team to really watch, a team that could pull the trio together, keep an eye out for Wake and Danny Manning...

Wake didn't make Tatum final cut..

He has the slasher PG mentality with a deadly threat from long range. I dont see how he doesnt pick Dook. Logjam at pg for us. He will immediately become dooks goto guy and be a one and done in that system.

He has the slasher PG mentality with a deadly threat from long range. I dont see how he doesnt pick Dook. Logjam at pg for us. He will immediately become dooks goto guy and be a one and done in that system.
His camp is saying exactly the same thing.

If Thorton does not one & done then duke has at least as much PG log jam as we have. Britt will not be seen as a log jam guy, Berry yeah but if Thorton does not one & done (and I don't think right now he is assumed as such, maybe I should say I don't see him as that right now) then I would suggest Thorton as maybe even more a log jammer than Berry would be.

Some one mentioned Tatum did not have Wake on his final list, lots of stuff can change and should be expected to. If Tatum is sold on the trio deal and both Giles & Dennis like Wake in the end, then Wake can get back on Tatum's list. I do think Tatum is going to be the problem for the trio to come together in the end, Kal is selling the trio concept hard and ya know K is. Not like we are out of it for the trio either, some seem to assume we are out of it, not true, I think we are in better shape than most think but I do not see us getting the trio all together. I am not a buyer that the wuffies are as strong in this as many seem to think, we will see but for now I am not a buyer on that one.

Smith will start wherever he plays. He will be one and done unless injury sidelines him and even then he might go the Kyrie route. He is that talented.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
OH, so Kennard, Allen, and Jones will ride the pine so Smith can get his PT?

not necessarily...but it would be some heavy competition for minutes...jones/luke/allen could all play some sf as well...but as the two pgs, they have seen that it could work like cook/jones made it work and that it could be effective if they buy in

Rat face recruits over his current players all the time

all coaches jobs are to recruit the best talent they can year in and year out...did paige get recruited over by britt and berry, did britt get recruited over by berry, is berry getting recruited over by felton????..Nope..coach williams is bringing in talent

it will be tough for Duke or anyone for that matter to sell Smith on not running the PG spot. that is the challenge, it's not playing with anyone else, b/c he will start no matter where he is. But he wants to be the PG and have the ball in his hands as the primary ball handler. DT will most likely be there, unless he just blows up this year. Duke is trying to sell Smith on playing with him, and can they? absolutely, but it'll be a tough sell.

and as for the "recruiting" over. that is such a weak argument/excuse. UNC currently has 3PGs on their current roster, that doesn't count?

Dsouthr, come on now. You mean Luke, Grayson, or Jones can't play the 3 at all, or rotate at the 2? Smh.

Well hey cranky, don't shake that head to hard, you liable to shake something loose, looks as if a screw or 2 are already looser than they should be !

Humor aside, the point being made is that you tried to define our PG situation as a log jam while suggesting it is not nearly a log jam for your dukies? FACT is the ONLY PG on our roster, the ONLY PG that would be a factor in Smith's decision considering UNC is Joel Berry. The ONLY PG on your duke roster that would be a consideration for him is Thorton. Now of course Allen, Kennard, Jones could all switch to the 3 in a small ball look. I guess you assume Ingram is actually one & done and I guess you have decided that the trio of Giles, Tatum, & Smith is not going to happen for your dukies. You suggesting that Allen, Kennard, and jones will all play as back up at the wing and at the 2? That sure doesn't leave Smith much time at the 2 now does it? Ya gonna put 4 guards on the floor at the same time?

UNC basically has Britt & Kenny Will at the 2, Berry with some Britt as PGs, I assure you Britt will not be considered as a road block to Dennis Smith no matter if we talk the point or the 2. I further assure you that Kennard/Jones/Allen all sharing the time at the 2 will be a MUCH larger problem that what we have. Still shaking your head there boss ?

Now you tell me which projected starter do YOU consider to be the more likely to stand in a incoming PGs way of playing time, Thorton or Joel Berry? What Roy is pitching is the duo PGs on the floor, just has been the case with Marcus Paige, same pitch by the way as you share that K is pitching with Thorton. Mmmmm, excuse me but if your dukies are making the same pitch, your dukies have a highly respected PG (I would suggest at least to dukies a PG they may feel is even more talented than Berry) just as UNC does, and yet the numbers indicate more of a 2 guard log jam at duke than at UNC...I FAIL TO SEE HOW OUR SITUATION CAN BE CONSIDERED A LOG JAM AND YET YOUR DUKIE SITUATION IS NOT??? hEY, YA STILL SHAKING THAT HEAD? LOL:rolleyes:

Actually I'm shaking my head more because I never said UNC had a log jam, or even referenced them for that matter. Once I read that, I skipped the rest of your drivel. I understand that you get hurt easily here, but please read my post thoroughly if you want to attempt to debate it.

Dave,
Dookies have a hard time reading past a few words. You should know better.

not necessarily...but it would be some heavy competition for minutes...jones/luke/allen could all play some sf as well...but as the two pgs, they have seen that it could work like cook/jones made it work and that it could be effective if they buy in

So INgram is going to be one & done for you guys? So I guess you have given up hope that K gets Tatum, or any other star wing from this class? Now for clarity, I am one of the few that do not believe Ingram is a wing or that he will be one & done but I am betting you disagree with at least half of that (not that you are disagreeable, I actually like discussing with you because you are IMO a fair player and I respect you for that). You & I both know, if you guys do not get Tatum that you wil snag a big time wing in this class, it is going to be a priority for you along with snagging a center. Unless Ingram gets his Durant on his 170 lbs 6'9" frame is not going to thrill the NBA GMs and then factor in what ever other big time wing you guys snag, tell me where the PT is for Kennard, Allen, or Jones if Dennis Smith starts at the 2 for ya?

I TOTALLY agree some or all of those 3 will spend time at the wing spot for you next season, I happen to believe they will be at the wing more than Ingram. But I also believe/know ALL 3 of those fellas are VERY strong talents, none of those fellas are Nate Britt level off guards, they are MUCH better IMHO. Dennis Smith is not just going to start no matter where he commits, he is going to play big minutes, kid is major talent. Is there more room for him to come in and play the position Marcus Paige vacates after next season with his ONLY competition being Kenny Williams or deal with Kennard/Allen/Jones? What if Thorton leaves after next season, well what happens if Joel Berry leaves after next season, same thing, it is a push. But tell me, on a team that right now is projected either 1st or 2nd in the country pre-season, a clear odds on favorite to be in the national title game, who would you consider more likely to leave after next season, Thorton or Berry?

DSouth- the only person so far that has called this a logjam for you guys is your own posters. The point Crank, myself and Boogie were disputing is the term "recruiting over" which is just ridiculous and has no merit- you go after the best players to make your team the best possible one you can have.

As mentioned, both UNC and Duke have PGs locked into their lineup which will hinder our chances to get Dennis Smith. Pretty simple- he wants the rock in his hands from the gitgo and unless Thornton is gone, then he wont have that at Duke. Same with UNC with Berry. Which is why both coaches are selling him on the ability to play with a PG, ala Paige/Berry - Jones/Cook. In the end unless someone leaves, i expect him to go elsewhere.

Actually I'm shaking my head more because I never said UNC had a log jam, or even referenced them for that matter. Once I read that, I skipped the rest of your drivel. I understand that you get hurt easily here, but please read my post thoroughly if you want to attempt to debate it.

Yep, just as I feared, he shook the only screw he had left in his head loose...

Oh, so we don't have a log jam but your dukies do? Hey, thanks for clearing that up for us, we can all sleep tonight knowing that.

Where did I say Duke has a log jam? Wow. Getting back to the point - smith and DT can play together, and Duke still wouldn't have a log jam at 1-3 spots.

So INgram is going to be one & done for you guys? So I guess you have given up hope that K gets Tatum, or any other star wing from this class? Now for clarity, I am one of the few that do not believe Ingram is a wing or that he will be one & done but I am betting you disagree with at least half of that (not that you are disagreeable, I actually like discussing with you because you are IMO a fair player and I respect you for that). You & I both know, if you guys do not get Tatum that you wil snag a big time wing in this class, it is going to be a priority for you along with snagging a center. Unless Ingram gets his Durant on his 170 lbs 6'9" frame is not going to thrill the NBA GMs and then factor in what ever other big time wing you guys snag, tell me where the PT is for Kennard, Allen, or Jones if Dennis Smith starts at the 2 for ya?

I TOTALLY agree some or all of those 3 will spend time at the wing spot for you next season, I happen to believe they will be at the wing more than Ingram. But I also believe/know ALL 3 of those fellas are VERY strong talents, none of those fellas are Nate Britt level off guards, they are MUCH better IMHO. Dennis Smith is not just going to start no matter where he commits, he is going to play big minutes, kid is major talent. Is there more room for him to come in and play the position Marcus Paige vacates after next season with his ONLY competition being Kenny Williams or deal with Kennard/Allen/Jones? What if Thorton leaves after next season, well what happens if Joel Berry leaves after next season, same thing, it is a push. But tell me, on a team that right now is projected either 1st or 2nd in the country pre-season, a clear odds on favorite to be in the national title game, who would you consider more likely to leave after next season, Thorton or Berry?

yeah dsouth, i expect BI to be OAD and I hope to land JT, JT should get 25-30mpg @ the sf, but with the talent we would have esp if DSJr decided on Duke, minutes would be around the kentucky guys minutes i would guess w/ guys in the 20-25 mpg range, but if DT stays and no DSJr, then plenty of minutes for all of thornton,jones,kennard,tatum,allen (120 minutes spread between the 1-3)...as good as dsjr is, i would prob prefer the 5 guys above w/ essentially tatum replacing ingram so next season will show how the 5 guys will be used...imo...now if thornton leaves, i think dsjr to duke is a no brainer, jmo......yeah from a body standpoint, he has clear advantages over what you guys would have in place to come to unc, but I dont think you guys are his destination...either duke/state...state for the automatic minutes and duke w/ thornton (chance for something special) w/o thornton (chance for something special while being a greater piece)...slight ramble, but i think i hit all your questions=)

If Ingram is not one and done than he will be a very unhappy person when Tatum arrives. It looks like Tatum is down to Duke and St.Louis and the chances of St.Louis winning that battle is the equivalent to Charmanade beating Duke in Hansbrough Indoor Stadium with all 5 Charminade starters on crutches. Once K gets them on board he could care less if they complain about playing time. That's one of the reasons he has had so many transfers.

If Ingram is not one and done than he will be a very unhappy person when Tatum arrives. It looks like Tatum is down to Duke and St.Louis and the chances of St.Louis winning that battle is the equivalent to Charmanade beating Duke in Hansbrough Indoor Stadium with all 5 Charminade starters on crutches. Once K gets them on board he could care less if they complain about playing time. That's one of the reasons he has had so many transfers.
That's a fun way to spin it. Reality is, i'd be surprised if Tatum doesn't choose Duke, we've felt pretty good about our chances for a while now. It should only help in our chances of getting Giles as well- while not the package that Jones/Jah were, they seem to be pretty close.

As for BI, i expect him to be OAD and so does the staff. If he happens to stick around, the team would be pretty stacked. Pretty sure he wouldn't be unhappy at all, nor would he consider transferring, because he'd still get a ton of minutes. But regardless, i'd be surprised if he stays more than 1 year b/c thats just what this era of college hoops is.

The list of transfers Duke has had isn't exactly a group that screams success after they leave. But that's neither here nor there. Duke, like all top teams are going to try and get the best possible players every year. K is on a recruiting roll right now, and the fact that he is the all time winningest coach with 5 titles and the USA pedigree is the reason kids want to play for him.

Archer, it's not trolling, it's talking Smith and how the kid would start at either school. No reason to get bent over it IMO.

So he is going to St. Louis???

lol

Do they use cheer sheets on the boards at dook to coordinate the conversations?

yeah dsouth, i expect BI to be OAD and I hope to land JT, JT should get 25-30mpg @ the sf, but with the talent we would have esp if DSJr decided on Duke, minutes would be around the kentucky guys minutes i would guess w/ guys in the 20-25 mpg range, but if DT stays and no DSJr, then plenty of minutes for all of thornton,jones,kennard,tatum,allen (120 minutes spread between the 1-3)...as good as dsjr is, i would prob prefer the 5 guys above w/ essentially tatum replacing ingram so next season will show how the 5 guys will be used...imo...now if thornton leaves, i think dsjr to duke is a no brainer, jmo......yeah from a body standpoint, he has clear advantages over what you guys would have in place to come to unc, but I dont think you guys are his destination...either duke/state...state for the automatic minutes and duke w/ thornton (chance for something special) w/o thornton (chance for something special while being a greater piece)...slight ramble, but i think i hit all your questions=)

Hold up now, you are saying 120 minutes between 3 positions, that is a little off, of course DSj would be solid at the point along with Thorton, but I thought your entire pitch was DSj starting and playing starter minutes with Thorton.

That means very little minutes at the back up role for the one & the 2 leaving INgram if he is not one & done and Kennard/Jones/Allen + Tatum if you guys get him, splitting 40mins of available time at the 3. Now of course I don't believe Ingram will be one & done nor do I believe he will be a wing much for duke but I am taking YOUR argument. The fact is if you guys get Tatum, doesn't matter if Ingram is a wing and is back for a soph season, Tatum will not just start but dominate the wing PT.

And you know how k is boogie, he does not do a deep bench, he typically prefers to go with a solid 7 and at times 8. Feels like ya may have already dealt kennard/Jones/Allen out for season after next. If you get DSj & tatum, no matter what Ingram does, Kennard/Jones/Allen will pick splitters out their butts from the pine. If those 3 fellas show out next season, they are going to represent a big time road block for PT for a kid that is as talented as dennis absolutely is. I gurantee ya kennard and Allen are not there for 5 mins a game for long, well in my strong opinion they are not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT