ADVERTISEMENT

Enought negative threads lets have a positive basketball discussion

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
It is tough everyday to come to this forum and see a bunch of threads that do not make me feel good after I read them so to try and combat some of this downer news I offer this question for a open discussion to challenge many of the faithful fans who like myself come here on a daily basis.

Out of the freshmen and sophmore classes who do you feel will show the biggest improvement as the season progresses. Your choices are Maye, Williams, Jackson, Pinson or Berry..
Remember the key sentence is the biggest improvement as the season progresses.

I am sure the majority will say Berry or Pinson because they were hurt a lot last season and they did not get a real chance to show what they could do but I like Williams to be my choice because I think by time the ACC season starts he will have had enough playing time to not be scared to launch his lethal outside shot which is the major obstacle that UNC will have to improve on for Carolina to dance for a long time in March.

I will be interested to see what others think?

Hard for me to pick just one, as I think that JJ and Berry are primed to have breakout seasons. Of the freshman, I see Kenny getting a bit more burn than Luke, and therefore is more likely to have a significant impact on our team. All of the guys you mention should be at very least serviceable options from beyond the arc and hopefully we have 3-4 guys in the neighborhood of 35-40% 3 pt fg. If these guys are able to do that, I look forward to our front court having more space to play Carolina ball and a much better record overall coming into the tourney.

Fingers crossed!

It is tough everyday to come to this forum and see a bunch of threads that do not make me feel good after I read them so to try and combat some of this downer news I offer this question for a open discussion to challenge many of the faithful fans who like myself come here on a daily basis.

Out of the freshmen and sophmore classes who do you feel will show the biggest improvement as the season progresses. Your choices are Maye, Williams, Jackson, Pinson or Berry..
Remember the key sentence is the biggest improvement as the season progresses.

I am sure the majority will say Berry or Pinson because they were hurt a lot last season and they did not get a real chance to show what they could do but I like Williams to be my choice because I think by time the ACC season starts he will have had enough playing time to not be scared to launch his lethal outside shot which is the major obstacle that UNC will have to improve on for Carolina to dance for a long time in March.

I will be interested to see what others think?

Good idea DUNK.

Not sure if the improvement will be during the season, or if he'll explode to open the season, but there's some buzz building on Justin.

I just read an article on TOS and this quote from Mike James (NBA vet) stood out:
“Skill level is one thing, with this generation everyone’s skill level will be similar, but the work ethic will be what separates you. John Lucas has taken his game to another level. With his skills and new mindset, I think he’s going to be one of the first players to be drafted next year.”

Here's the article:
http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1554246-jackson-s-summer-progress-report

Reactions: CJBlue
I really like our Sophomore and Freshman classes. I look forward to watching them play for a while I hope (JJ). My choice will be Theo Pinson. I will explain this below by listing all five with an explanation.
1. Justin Jackson: Kind of seen what he can do based on last season. Yes, he has put in work and yes, he should be better. I expect it. I just do not think he will improve the most once the season starts. Understand I am not disrespecting him or downplaying his importance. He will be a great one.
2. Joel Berry: Yes, he was injured, but I think he got enough time at the end of the season to show us what he is about. I expect him to improve and with more playing time should be better. No disrespect here either.
3. Kenny Williams: He will be a freshman and will be learning a new system. It will take a little time to adjust, but I think he will be really good and will help us a lot with his outside shooting, driving, and ball-handling. I like he can drive to the basket and has a mid-range game.
4. Luke Maye: Once again, he is a freshman and will be learning a new system. He may need a little more time, maybe not. I think he helps us out and ends up being an awesome player before he leaves. He is a 4 year guy that can really help us. He is a team guy/glue guy. Like that he has an outside shot to the 3-point line and interested in how he looks in the paint.
5. Theo Pinson: He is my choice. He was injured his freshman year, but he had that injury before. Not sure how much that affected him during the season. I still do not feel like I know this guy. I do not feel like I have seen what he can do and I feel like that will change this year. I feel like he can be a great defensive player, rebounder, driver, and can be good on the break. I like his desire to dunk. He has attitude where he wants to dunk on someone. I think his outside shot can be really good. I just want him to prove it. He is the one guy from last year that I did not feel like he got a chance to show us what he can do or what he is about. I am pulling for him.

I think Berry and Pinson have the most room to improve, relative to their talent and what they've done so far. If they take significant steps forward and everyone else shows normal year to year improvement, we'll be a tough out. How well Pinson bounces back will be crucial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT