ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Montross passed.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA

ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

MONDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2023

Tar Heel Eric Montross Succumbs to Cancer at Age 52

CHAPEL HILL – The family of Eric Montross (Laura, Sarah, Andrew and Megan) is announcing that he passed away on Sunday, December 17, surrounded by loved ones at his home in Chapel Hill. Eric was diagnosed with cancer in March 2023, and his family is grateful for the tremendous support and the truly overwhelming love expressed by so many people as he battled with his signature determination and grace.

They also thank the many members of the medical community—and particularly those at UNC Lineberger Cancer Center—who matched his fight with equal passion. To know Eric was to be his friend, and the family knows that the ripples from the generous, thoughtful way that he lived his life will continue in the lives of the many people he touched with his deep and sincere kindness.

The family asks for privacy during this difficult period.

Eric played for head coach Dean Smith and the Tar Heels from 1990-94, including his freshman and sophomore seasons as a teammate of current UNC head coach Hubert Davis. He was the starting center in 1993, when the Tar Heels won the NCAA championship.

He was named first-team All-ACC in 1993, was a member of the John Wooden All-America team as a senior and earned NCAA East Region and Final Four all-tournament honors in leading Carolina to the 1993 national championship.

A first-round draft pick by the Boston Celtics, Eric played nine seasons in the NBA. He was the analyst on the Tar Heel Sports Network for 18 seasons until he stepped away from the microphone this season. He also was senior major gifts director at the Rams Club.

Carolina Athletics Statement:

“Carolina Athletics, the Tar Heel basketball family and the entire University community are profoundly saddened and stunned by the loss of Eric Montross, one of our most beloved former student-athletes, at far too young an age. Eric was a great player and accomplished student, but the impacts he made on our community went way beyond the basketball court. He was a man of faith, a tremendous father, husband and son, and one of the most recognizable ambassadors of the University and Chapel Hill.

“He helped the Rams Club secure scholarships for student-athletes, and as color analyst for the Tar Heel Sports Network he brought perspective, heart and humor to UNC fans near and far. Eric also became an ardent supporter of the Lineberger Center while in college and remained a leader in the fight against cancer throughout his life.

“We extend our deepest condolences to Laura, his children and entire family, and his colleagues and friends. The number of people who loved Eric and were touched by him is immeasurable.”

Oh my goodness! So sad. I knew he had cancer but had no idea he was this far along. Definitely one of the all time Tar Heel greats! A true great Tar Heel ambassador on and off the court. Nobody did a better job of understanding, promoting, living, The Tar Heel Program. Truly bled Tar Heel Blue and was a great promoter of carrying forward what the UNC basketball program and family should be - on and off the court, going forward. An extension of DES, Roy, MJ, and all the greats in players, staff, alumni, tradition.

I still remember him sitting in the Dean Dome as a high school senior watching a game and Dick Vitale saying, “He’s not here on an official visit. He’s here because he wants to be here. He paid his own way!” I knew right then and there he was going to be a Tar Heel. Part of that great 1990 recruiting class.

As a Tar Heel, Eric left an indelible mark, contributing not just with his skillful play but also with his leadership both on and off the court. His achievements on the hardwood will forever be remembered, but it was his kindness and sportsmanship that truly set him apart.

Shocked and saddened to say the least. Prayers to his family. Loved him as a player and color analyst but wow what an ambassador for this great university. He loved the Heels. We love and will miss you big fella. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

CANCER SUCKS!!

Last edited:
Eric-Montross.jpg

He was so young. I still remember hearing about his decision to play for UNC, rather than in the BT. I had to get on a plane not long after, and I, wearing a UNC baseball hat, was lucky to sit beside a guy who'd grown up in IN who said he knew from his brother, who was an IN HS basketball coach, that Montross was exactly the kind of person who would make UNC fans happy not just as a player but as an alum. And he told me directly: "Dean Smith just secured his second NCAA championship.'

St. Peregrine pray for us and especially for the Montross family.

Reactions: Heels5150
Montross is one of the earliest tar heels I can remember, one of my first tar heel heroes. And as someone who grew up frequently listening to woody, I didn't realize I had also been listening to Eric so long. So saddened for his family.

One of my favorite stories was of him being recruited and on a visit to dook. He & his dad took in a practice where K was spewing profanities all over the place. He, or his dad (or both), I can't remember, said "well we're not coming here to play for that guy". Cancer sucks but it is comforting to know, that as a believer, he is reunited with Dean and his other loved ones and is not in pain any longer.

This is sad, sad news for his family, UNC Athletics, and the Chapel Hill community along with countless others. Agree with the poster saying cancer sucks. Sort of fitting that we just played in the Jimmy V classic a couple of weeks ago. He will be missed by so many, and prayers up to all those who feel this loss.

Didn't see it mentioned, so will note that there is a nice article from Adam Lucas on goheels.com.

This is sad, sad news for his family, UNC Athletics, and the Chapel Hill community along with countless others. Agree with the poster saying cancer sucks. Sort of fitting that we just played in the Jimmy V classic a couple of weeks ago. He will be missed by so many, and prayers up to all those who feel this loss.

Didn't see it mentioned, so will note that there is a nice article from Adam Lucas on goheels.com.
Could someone please link Adam’s article to this thread? It perfectly captures Eric’s legacy. Thanks.

Yep. I’m not a cry type guy but I knew I’d cry at Adam’s article and I did. The part about him taking care of his family and them taking care of him. And all he did for those in the community, children going thru cancer etc. AND HE NEVER WOULD MENTION IT TO ANYONE. Did it for all the right reasons never wanting credit for himself.

Article said he was a man of faith. The way he lived his life was a true biblical servant of others as Christ calls us to be. God today is saying to 00 at the gates: “well done my good and faithful servant”

RIP Eric - and condolences and prayers to his family.

@bleeduncblue

RIP Family!
Just as he lived, his passing teaches us the meaning of strength and community! I pray that the immeasurable Grace of God will eventually grant his family peace. May they find comfort in the many wonderful memories Tar Heel Family will share!

This one hits a bit close to home. I only had passing interactions with Eric, but he was always so comfortable, a gentle giant. One of my childhood buddies started with him on the Indiana high school all-star team. He was UNWORLDLY strong, but a gentle giant with a competitive fire.

My buddy roomed with Damon Bailey when I went down to support him and hang, Bailey was a rock star, but Montross was the best player on that loaded team. He and his family caught hell when he chose Carolina. His early passing shows even the strongest among us are a diagnosis away.

Very little personal interactions with him, did not personally really get to know him, but he was always pleasant in those off the public eye interactions, and his passing resonates with me with mortality, he was my age. He was a man's man! It still got him. RIP

Last edited:
man i'm still so sad. i was fortunate to get to know Eric a bit. played golf with him, sat with him during a few UNC games, talked about everything from baseline screens to the book of Revelation. he was the most genuinely kind person i've ever known.

i have several pictures but this is my absolute favorite. my son’s first UNC game 5 years ago, he asked to go meet “the huge guy standing by the court.” Eric spent at least 5 minutes talking one on one with him, i just stood there smiling.

what a void he leaves for so many!

ABLVV84AdHBLeGOMx8SXByOqHUUO6mcGqxJ_AcmZwRvhFwaPILQILF2sqGTW9Pl58NDNOENn4AgchxOzORSjrZxM5WIF9lvV4Oci7Mx24avhuodDwHjZLOxebIy1KZDtdCDTU1eHsYeN_UFMUcGE3MC74yWobsHVvrmYBlI2YiaeGR4cViHipQhEmC1GH34m24Yj_B2rsK6lBS8SXKM2wRTOv0LTEakXhyhHf8ta_57ozEuU5Y42sR75ScRH5tN9u9V-bFM7S9W6CUoTuBELqP4V1NWTuEnzJWAW1cODr-ra-PN2dZaB7Kz5sUEB3EDQKAyKaY1ieUFFXU9VRjsd6ulKPr9fuQAyxuqZOTVOFAmpdtdXE8ucFuwU-kgDinQaYy2U_nR7xTOB8jH2Jei0fVCfrB_j8czTX9L67c7psBgzCowG5TcXiajt0_K3tQPE10T50uEj1l865o9w2nMYLIsy8AsYJkxWyD5Em-2cK4HGWLZy6jCbvViSKPqytxMNaipDEe9YGVaKowH6-v75BPXNjXjkWSFpre0_ZGBZiyOGkikYUfT7JcMAOybSs74yljjphaCgDbWaRWvG6A-jv3qjzWP5_kzW3pmLhZfcDGVg3cR6p5e2bHEG8h7N_LC1nDQYrpDBSq8vNovzSRe3hQsalalQ8q50qSKSINev0ZMXQHImfN8Gf7q9_-2hbU18IYQsLPni6Dqjl_MGiiXNItIYh2NVBSV8KEdlMT9Lg9QJRZZFubzf4sVxBcCOJFL7TdxPecobJ0oKz91ZHWTVLFo5UAUd4ht2UoNR7VpXK4_HaIg0uYqUYSldNTHxCGdznh07vH9Yj1thbhOYedjZY3kE6m03GnmqyzK4Tf4B-3fA2G-yKx0--cs4PuKQWeASUqUfShSq4Ck-CTeu0vvdWyCP5Z3paDHkDOPR7lc9y_FnWFRhr3ezbufdV9qD6yMIDmaxMAR67nuI8bc=w456-h739-s-no-gm

Last edited:
man i'm still so sad. i was fortunate to get to know Eric a bit. played golf with him, sat with him during a few UNC games, talked about everything from baseline screens to the book of Revelation. he was the most genuinely kind person i've ever known.

i have several pictures but this is my absolute favorite. my son’s first UNC game 5 years ago, he asked to go meet “the huge guy standing by the court.” Eric spent at least 5 minutes talking one on one with him, i just stood there smiling.

what a void he leaves for so many!

xotURx.IMG-6974.jpg
I had to reply just to get the picture to show but I'm so glad I did. Best post I've replied to in a long time. Thanks for sharing and spreading the warmth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT