ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN not high on UNC

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
We are picked 9th in the conference behind moo and Pitt. I guess we deserve it for whiffing on the hype the last couple of years. It's time to step into the big boy pants!

Finally we are picked based on previous years performance instead of how good we should have been if we had been able to make routine plays.

Thanks ESPN and I mean it sincerely.

Here were last year's finishes (based on conference wins/head-to-head record/total wins) with the ESPN pre-season rank in parentheses:

1) Florida State (1)
2) Georgia Tech (8)
3) Clemson (2)
T-4) Louisville (9)
T-4) dook (7)
6) UNC (3)
7) Pitt (6)
8) Boston College (13)
9) Moo U (12)
10) Virginia Tech (5)
11) Miami (4)
12) Virginia (11)
13) Syracuse (10)
14) Wake Forest (14)

If we consider any difference of 3 spots or more a valuation error, it breaks down this way:

Overvalued: UNC, Virginia Tech, Miami, Syracuse
Undervalued: Georgia Tech, Louisville, dook, Boston College, Moo U

That's 9 of out 14 teams that ended up valued incorrectly. Meh.

Here were last year's finishes (based on conference wins/head-to-head record/total wins) with the ESPN pre-season rank in parentheses:

1) Florida State (1)
2) Georgia Tech (8)
3) Clemson (2)
T-4) Louisville (9)
T-4) dook (7)
6) UNC (3)
7) Pitt (6)
8) Boston College (13)
9) Moo U (12)
10) Virginia Tech (5)
11) Miami (4)
12) Virginia (11)
13) Syracuse (10)
14) Wake Forest (14)

If we consider any difference of 3 spots or more a valuation error, it breaks down this way:

Is this some more of your statistical hocus-pocus?

Reactions: Raising Heel
For the record, these are power rankings. Not predictions on 2015 results. Either way, I notice Duke is only ranked 7th. I don't understand....I thought this was evil DSPN (!!!11!!!!1!!). How can I be outraged about their Duke love when they aren't loving Duke? Or are we only holding to this ridiculous notion when it's college basketball-related? Please advise.

For the record, these are power rankings. Not predictions on 2015 results. Either way, I notice Duke is only ranked 7th. I don't understand....I thought this was evil DSPN (!!!11!!!!1!!). How can I be outraged about their Duke love when they aren't loving Duke? Or are we only holding to this ridiculous notion when it's college basketball-related? Please advise.

This will fall on deaf ears- none of the Duke conspiracy contingency posts on this board.

Is this some more of your statistical hocus-pocus?
No, because...
For the record, these are power rankings. Not predictions on 2015 results.
...if ESPN can make up some arbitrary title for opinions about how good certain teams are, so can I. Let's call them "Raising Heel's Valuation Rankings." You all owe me $10 a month now.

If I got beat up every time I went to a certain well, then I would find a different place to drinko_O

So basically if we base our expectations on the accuracy of ESPN's preseason rankings, UNC should win the coastal this year.

In all seriousness I hope these guys come out with something to prove

1) Florida State (1)
2) Georgia Tech (8)
3) Clemson (2)
T-4) Louisville (9)
T-4) dook (7)
6) UNC (3)
7) Pitt (6)
8) Boston College (13)
9) Moo U (12)
10) Virginia Tech (5)
11) Miami (4)
12) Virginia (11)
13) Syracuse (10)
14) Wake Forest (14)

Sounds about right for ESPN. Seriously though, I like seeing the Heels having no early season hype. I think it actually makes things easier. There are no outside expectations to live up to (or fall short of as the Heels have two straight years).

Predicting UNC football should be easy. Overrated! Seriously, if UNC finishes 9th, the Fedora experiment should be over.
Good luck hiring ANY head coach if Fedora is dismissed after this year. People (a lot of UNC people, not just SeaHawk) continue to underappreciate the job Fedora has done during his tenure here. He has kept the ship more or less on course the entire time and finished each season bowl eligible (counting 2012 because we would've gone to the dang ACCCG), and has continued to recruit excellently, all things considered. Hmm, now what's another UNC sport that has struggled to recruit its targets due to the NCAA? Fedora and staff have overcome a ton of obstacles (most being outside their control) and that should give him a minimum of the remaining four(?) years on his contract to see it out.

Want to argue that we haven't won enough games? Very valid. But to say this is a "prove yourself or you're done" season this year (which, again, a lot of people have said) is absurd.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Fedora is a good coach....he just needs some athletes. There should be no reason that UNC can not compete for the division.

Reactions: uncboy10
Good luck hiring ANY head coach if Fedora is dismissed after this year. People (a lot of UNC people, not just SeaHawk) continue to underappreciate the job Fedora has done during his tenure here. He has kept the ship more or less on course the entire time and finished each season bowl eligible (counting 2012 because we would've gone to the dang ACCCG), and has continued to recruit excellently, all things considered. Hmm, now what's another UNC sport that has struggled to recruit its targets due to the NCAA? Fedora and staff have overcome a ton of obstacles (most being outside their control) and that should give him a minimum of the remaining four(?) years on his contract to see it out.

Want to argue that we haven't won enough games? Very valid. But to say this is a "prove yourself or you're done" season this year (which, again, a lot of people have said) is absurd.

I understand what you are saying. It is has been a difficult task. My problem is Fedora has talked the talk and certainly has not walked the walk. This fast physical smart motto is great, but UNC has been none of that Fedora should have come in, kept his mouth shut and done his job. He is probably his own worst enemy. The blistering from State UNC took last year pretty much locked it up for me. You have no excuses losing to that team much less by that much.

I understand what you are saying. It is has been a difficult task. My problem is Fedora has talked the talk and certainly has not walked the walk. This fast physical smart motto is great, but UNC has been none of that Fedora should have come in, kept his mouth shut and done his job. He is probably his own worst enemy. The blistering from State UNC took last year pretty much locked it up for me. You have no excuses losing to that team much less by that much.
By the time of the State game last year, the team was a mess. From all reports, the defensive players had stopped listening to Koenning and the D staff (especially after VK's comment about being impossible to hold anyone under 30 points, which the ESPN guys quoted during the Duke game). Furthermore, Marquise was playing injured and -- just guessing here -- in general, the offense was probably fed up with the defense. That's just human nature. The offense was under unfair pressure to perform every single drive.

It will be different this year. I can't tell you the W/L's will be different, but the effort will be different. The new defensive staff is legit. Warren and Chizik and Scott will not tolerate any entitlement or BS. The effort will be much better now.

He has athletes.

He does, and it's time to see more positive results. With an easier schedule and a defense that should be improved, I think we will contend for the Coastal. If the defense can just begin to play fundamentally sound ball, that would help exponentially. Our defense last year was one of the worst I've ever seen.

TBS, I can absolutely understand our preseason rankings. We really haven't shown much on the field to earn much respect recently.

If Fedora had held fast to Disch and Company, I would be calling for his head daily. That he made the necessary changes means he deserves 2 more years. We should make a bowl again, but 2015 is about playing for 2016. In 2016, we should have the experience on the OL and the D to win the division.

fedora hasn't shown me squat but i realize there are extenuating circumstances.
if he loses to dook again i'll be driving the moving van.
you've been warned.

fedora hasn't shown me squat but i realize there are extenuating circumstances.
if he loses to dook again i'll be driving the moving van.
you've been warned.
Please enlighten me, who has done better at UNC since 1980? Don't give me Mack Brown or Butch Davis, both of whom are probably Top 5 best college coaches of the last 25 years because of their insane recruiting prowess.

Did Fedora eff up the Miami Zero Dark Thursday game by not calling a timeout and getting the delay of game because of the offense substitution? Yes. Has he made some boneheaded in-game decisions? Yes. Is he light-years better than John effing Bunting? Yes.

But this is why we need a 9+ win season this year. It will do a load of good to everyone involved: the players, Fedora, the fans, everyone. And it will -- hopefully -- improve all the sour attitudes around here.

If Fedora had held fast to Disch and Company, I would be calling for his head daily. That he made the necessary changes means he deserves 2 more years. We should make a bowl again, but 2015 is about playing for 2016. In 2016, we should have the experience on the OL and the D to win the division.
Woad,
Do you really believe 2015 is about playing for 2016? LY the season tanked and then embarrassed ourselves in the bowl game against Rutgers. After tanking we never played the balance of 2014 for 2015 . . . with that in mind, why do you think 2015 is about 2016. I hate to be negative, but I'm not expecting us to do anything different than we have been doing at least from an offensive perspective. Defense will see adjustments because coaching change was made and decision making relinquished.

Woad,
Do you really believe 2015 is about playing for 2016? LY the season tanked and then embarrassed ourselves in the bowl game against Rutgers. After tanking we never played the balance of 2014 for 2015 . . . with that in mind, why do you think 2015 is about 2016. I hate to be negative, but I'm not expecting us to do anything different than we have been doing at least from an offensive perspective. Defense will see adjustments because coaching change was made and decision making relinquished.

I don't mean that we should ignore 2015. We should get to a bowl and plan to win it, and that is ket to setting up 2016. It will be 2016 when we have the experienced talent on D and the OL to make a big push. If everything goes wel this year, including avoiding injuries., we could be 8-4 and in a quality bowl. But if everything goes well in 2016, we could be 11-1 and playing for the ACC championship.

And that does mean that I think this year that things being even close to equal, we need to go with PT for juniors, sophs, and frosh over PT for seniors. The more non-mop up time expereince we have entering 2016, the better our odds of winning the division.

I like the sound of 11-1 in 2016, but I dont see why the Coastal isn't winnable in 2015. As bad as last year was, we still beat the 2 best teams in the division. At 8-4 last year, we would've won the Coastal with the head to head tiebreaker against GT.

I dont see a one loss coastal champ happening this year. 2 minimum, maybe even a 3 loss champ. Looking at the schedules, a lot of teams look like their gonna get beat up

GT has ND, Dook, UNC, Clemson, Pitt and FSU in a 6 week stretch.

Mia has to play FSU, VT, Clem, in a three week stretch before Dook, UVA, and UNC.

Dook/VT both have pretty weak conference schedules with favorable crossovers, but dook does have VT, Mia, and UNC in a three week stretch.

Good points, @uncboy10. A couple things.

Worth mentioning that UNC closes with Miami, VT, and Moo U, with the last two games on the road. It's possible we could be riding high at mid-season and then end with a thud. Also, remember that ND doesn't count as a conference game.

GT will have a serious challenge repeating as the Coastal champ. They get both Clemson (who's looking for revenge) and FSU. So does Miami. dook has the easiest schedule by far with cream puff non-conference games and BC/Wake as crossovers. But watch out for VT.

Yep, it could be a long November. But the front end is unbelievably favorable. The toughest looking game is against a team that we beat in 2014 in GT.

Followed by Wake, UVA, Pitt and Dook. 3/4 of those are at home and 3/4 of those were wins last year, the fourth being Wake, who wasn't on the schedule, and is almost certainly the weakest of those 4.

I gotta say 4-1 in ACC play to start doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. Neither does taking 2/3 against NCSux VT and Miami. Hopefully by then the D will have significantly improved

I gotta say 4-1 in ACC play to start doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. Neither does taking 2/3 against NCSux VT and Miami. Hopefully by then the D will have significantly improved
I'd agree with you but.....you know it won't play out like that :(

We'll drop a WTF game or two along the way. We always do. Hopefully that will change this year though.

I don't mean that we should ignore 2015. We should get to a bowl and plan to win it, and that is ket to setting up 2016. It will be 2016 when we have the experienced talent on D and the OL to make a big push. If everything goes wel this year, including avoiding injuries., we could be 8-4 and in a quality bowl. But if everything goes well in 2016, we could be 11-1 and playing for the ACC championship.

And that does mean that I think this year that things being even close to equal, we need to go with PT for juniors, sophs, and frosh over PT for seniors. The more non-mop up time expereince we have entering 2016, the better our odds of winning the division.
I like the sound of 11-1 in 2016, as well, but its very difficult to achieve especially if your QB doesn't have a lot of experience. How we handle the QB situation and/or who emerges on top plus staying healthy this year will be interesting to follow.

Good points, @uncboy10. A couple things.

Worth mentioning that UNC closes with Miami, VT, and Moo U, with the last two games on the road. It's possible we could be riding high at mid-season and then end with a thud. Also, remember that ND doesn't count as a conference game.

GT will have a serious challenge repeating as the Coastal champ. They get both Clemson (who's looking for revenge) and FSU. So does Miami. dook has the easiest schedule by far with cream puff non-conference games and BC/Wake as crossovers. But watch out for VT.

VT played a large number of freshmen and sophomores last year around all the injuries. If this Hokies team avoids injuries, it could be back to form.

I say that after spending 2 years asserting that I think Beamer is over the hill and needs to prepare his exit.

VT is the team I'm the most worried about. They have the combination of a weak schedule and a lot of returning starters. GT is probably the best team in the division but they also have a brutal schedule.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I'm still skeptical of where VT's offense is going to come from

But that is part of the point. VT when good begins on D, and then adds tough special teams and a tough running game. The good VT teams do not need any offensive explosiveness. That is the icing on the cake that can take a VT team from 2 Ls to undefeated.

This VT team played so many young guys last year due to all the injries that it will start the season with quite a bit of experience. If that leads to more consistent play on D and improvement on offense, such as cutting back on TOs, then VT can win the division.

But if the Heels get a tough running game of their own this offense is going to put up some seriously impressive numbers. We should be able to outgun most teams on the front half of the schedule. Having the tougher division games at the end of the year should help the development of the defense

I agree VT could win the division. I think UNC could too. There's probably 5 teams that could realistically win it

But if the Heels get a tough running game of their own this offense is going to put up some seriously impressive numbers. We should be able to outgun most teams on the front half of the schedule. Having the tougher division games at the end of the year should help the development of the defense

I agree VT could win the division. I think UNC could too. There's probably 5 teams that could realistically win it
Honestly, minus UVA, any team in the Coastal could win it. Tons of parity in this division.

Eh I think Pitt will struggle more than some people expect. But the other five could all win it IMO. It's a good year to sneak up and steal it. Even if 2016 is the big year, coming off a ACCCG appearance would be huge.

Get the running game going consistently and anything can happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT