ADVERTISEMENT

Feeling mandate to win more games in year 4

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
from Charlotte Observer

Mack thinks players simply did not listen last year, but seem to be listening now -

"Maybe they’re listening because, as Brown said, the Heels know they don’t have all the answers. With Sam Howell at quarterback the past three seasons, perhaps they were lulled into thinking they did.

Howell, who is now with the Washington Commanders in the NFL, owns virtually every major passing record in program history. Howell was also the team’s second leading rusher last season with 828 yards, which ranked ninth in the ACC, and had 11 rushing touchdowns.

“He was like our rock, a lot of people depended on him to do a lot of things that he didn’t need to be doing,” receiver Josh Downs said. “Like he didn’t need to be running the ball as much as he was exposed to, but he did it. I feel like this year, it’s gonna be more of a group effort.”

I think this is a make it or break it year for Mack and recruiting. Unfortunately I think it's going to be more break than make.

Given how experienced the coaches are I've decided player leadership was a huge prob last yr. Maybe Sam didn't inspire teammates despite his heroics?

Given how experienced the coaches are I've decided player leadership was a huge prob last yr. Maybe Sam didn't inspire teammates despite his heroics?

Based on the quotes I’ve read, that’s absolutely not the case. Downs said something along the lines of them having depended on him way too much.

Reactions: Archer2
I think this is a make it or break it year for Mack and recruiting. Unfortunately I think it's going to be more break than make.
At some point, even the best recruiter among HCs will start to falter if he isn't delivering the Ws. 6-7 in Year 3 is most decidedly not delivering the Ws.

If Mack flops this year, he needs to have the class to step aside - retire, rather than force Bubba to fire him.

Another strange take by you. Geez Louise. There has been nothing written or said that I’ve seen to indicate that was the case. Any players that weren’t inspired by Sam’s work ethic and play on the field don’t need to be on the team.
At some point, even the best recruiter among HCs will start to falter if he isn't delivering the Ws. 6-7 in Year 3 is most decidedly not delivering the Ws.

If Mack flops this year, he needs to have the class to step aside - retire, rather than force Bubba to fire him.
I was wondering when you would just come out and say this. I knew it was coming.

I was wondering when you would just come out and say this. I knew it was coming
Well, if we win 6-7 games do you think he should stay? Recruiting is taking a step back, because of last year. It's not horrible, but it's not like it was. At what point do you say maybe it's time to move on?

Well, if we win 6-7 games do you think he should stay? Recruiting is taking a step back, because of last year. It's not horrible, but it's not like it was. At what point do you say maybe it's time to move on?
Exactly. We are already seeing the step back in recruiting. Even Alabama is going to see a number of top level recruits back off if the team goes 6-7.

Mack is not spring chicken, and everyone for a couple of decades has known that he is Mr. February: wins recruiting wars but very very few championships. At a place like Texas, you can have that reputation and still recruit well. But that reputation plus 7-6 and 6-7 and even 8-5 teams at a program like UNC will get you an all 3* class.

Players want to win games and championships. HCs that fail to deliver start ton have more difficulty attracting any top level recruits. The classes that Mack signed at Texas his last couple of classes were not equal to those that he brought in for the first dozen years or so.

I love Mack, but agree this is a make or break year. We have the talent to win games, so win we must. Another year around the 500 mark and things will go bleak on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT