ADVERTISEMENT

fellow Southerners, what's some traditional Southern fare that you dislike

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
First, let me give a hat tip to heelz2345 because his "sweet tea" answer in the "everybody loves them, but you can't stand them" thread gave me the idea for this thread.

Of the traditional Southern meals, dishes, drinks, and the like, are they any that for whatever reason, you just don't like and won't eat/drink? I'll let y'all start before chiming in with mine.

Transplants aka "born again" Southerners are welcome to post their dislikes as well :)

I like liver mush better than liver pudding, does that count?

Last edited:
Fried pickles. I like pickles. I like fried anything. The two just don't go together well for me. There are very few things that I actually hate in the southern food category even the stuff like pigs feet but I have only eaten them once or twice.

Things that are good in the south that get ruined when they go up north is a much longer list. The last time that I went up north I found myself saying things like "But I didn't ask for five kinds of melon and whipped cream on my waffle. I asked for a waffle" and "is it really normal to put raisins, grapes and whatever-this-fruit-is in the chicken salad?"

Reactions: nctransplant
Ditto on me not eating weird sh*t like pickled pig's feet and liver stuff. And ditto for collared greens, and I also don't like cauliflower.

The two things that all Southerners love that I don't care for are cornbread and sweet tea. The former, I won't even eat. The latter, I'll drink it for sure. When I go to visit family in Eastern N.C., it's usually all they'll serve besides water. But in general, I'd never voluntarily choose sweet tea if that makes sense. I was raised on Coca-Cola.

Everything else I love for the most part. A couple things I used to not care for as a kid but grew to really like are fried pickles, potato salad, and sweet potato casserole. Goodness gracious alive, my grandmother makes a sweet potato casserole that is to die for.

Of the traditional Southern meals, dishes, drinks, and the like, are they any that for whatever reason, you just don't like and won't eat/drink?

Western or Eastern NC barbeque. Can't stand either one. Makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.:eek:

Hahaha just joking. I love barbeque. Wanted to see if I could get a rise out of the group.o_O

Seriously, I can't make myself eat a lima bean. Thant's why I have a hard time eating Brunswick Stew I know that's sacrilegious to many but I can't help it. When it's served to me I just have to pick those beans out..

Reactions: Raising Heel
Western or Eastern NC barbeque. Can't stand either one. Makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.:eek:

Hahaha just joking. I love barbeque. Wanted to see if I could get a rise out of the group.o_O
I was about to lose all respect for you! :eek::p

Seriously, I can't make myself eat a lima bean. Thant's why I have a hard time eating Brunswick Stew I know that's sacrilegious to many but I can't help it. When it's served to me I just have to pick those beans out..

I love Brunswick stew and didn't even know that lima beans, specifically, were in it haha. I just eat it without thinking what all is in it. I'm not a vegetable fan at all, so the only way I can eat them is if they're part of something, be it a sandwich, a stew, a soup, or sometimes a salad.

Sir, you don't joke about barbecue, barbecue is serious business. There is nothing funny about barbecue.....lol

Have you had it made with sugar? I find regular cornbread dry and boring, but sugar makes a big difference. Also, it needs to be buttered.
Have you had it made with sugar? I find regular cornbread dry and boring, but sugar makes a big difference. Also, it needs to be buttered.
Southern cornbread is not sweet, period... Nothing in life is quite as good as southern cornbread and nothing in this world is quite as bad as a yankee's attempt to make it.

Reactions: JHVS
Southern cornbread is not sweet, period... Nothing in life is quite as good as southern cornbread and nothing in this world is quite as bad as a yankee's attempt to make it.
Trust me, my aunt and grandmother are as Southern as they come. I'll inform them that prlyles called their cornbread "yankee" though ;)

ETA: Disclaimer: I haven't eaten cornbread in probably five years (like I said, I won't touch the stuff) so perhaps "sweet" isn't the best descriptor. Either way, I don't like it. I'll take Texas Toast over cornbread any day (yes I know they're very different).

Trust me, my aunt and grandmother are as Southern as they come. I'll inform them that prlyles called their cornbread "yankee" though ;)

I'm confused, In your post above you said you didn't like sweet cornbread and everybody know that northern cornbread has sugar in it.

^ Like I said, maybe I'm mis-remembering the taste. Or maybe they whip up northern style cornbread for some reason. I, personally, was unaware that southern cornbread wasn't sweet because I don't eat it and haven't since I was a kid.

ETA: I'm also finding recipes all over the Interwebz for Southern style cornbread that use sugar in it. But I also see recipes stating IT ISN'T SOUTHERN IF IT HAS AN OUNCE OF SUGAR IN IT.

Oh man I totally forgot to include my #1 disliked traditional Southern foodstuff:

Gravy. Don't like it on any type of meat; will eat it on mashed potatoes but won't be wild about it.

Oh man I totally forgot to include my #1 disliked traditional Southern foodstuff:

Gravy. Don't like it on any type of meat; will eat it on mashed potatoes but won't be wild about it.
tumblr_mt7z97zJYo1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

I hate gravy, too. I never eat it. I don't want it on anything.

I LOVE cornbread, however. Both the sweet and non-sweet kind. My grandmother used to make the non-sweet kind for me and I'd break up a big piece in a bowl of whole milk! That was goooo-ooood! I sure miss my Nanny!

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Anything with mayo is disgusting and lots of classic southern foods have mayo.

RH- try Palmetto Cheese. It is made with cream cheese and not mayo. Some of the best stuff in the world. But a word of caution- it is easy to eat too much and when you realize that you have, it's way too late.

If I had to pick one non-mayo food, I am going with fried green tomatoes. Bleh.

Not gonna eat chitlins. Not gonna eat any chewy-arse gizzards or slimy boiled okra.

Looooove collard greens when thery're chopped and fried and turnips, too.

I rather have fried cornbread than baked. Baked is way to dry. But then again, southerners like fried foods.

Kinda funny, growing up I thought fried chicken was good for you.

Speaking of fried things. At our traditional Thanksgiving meal, we would have baked turkey and it was meh because baking dries it out. About 4 of 5 Thanksgivings ago, my dad bought a cooker and now we inject the thing with some cajun seasoning and fry it.

Oh. My. God.

The difference is night and day. Frying it keeps it moist and keeps all the flavor in. Daggum it's good. I won't eat baked turkey anymore because of it.

I can't stand grits or pimento cheese. Sweet potatoes suck too. I don't like anything sweet on my plate unless it's dessert, which I don't eat much of anyway. Collard greens are just okay. They're never anything I want, but if they're given to me, I'll eat them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT