ADVERTISEMENT

Field Hockey team

kjcooper

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2009
Well if it was not enough for the football team to lose to UVA yesterday, it appears the women's field hockey team fell prey to the same complacency losing to UVA 3-2. UVA team was 2-3 in conference before last night's game.

• Sad
Reactions: ohio tarheels
Hope their success will be better than the women soccer team. The soccer team was great defensive this year, but was unable to score goals. They had 8 ties within the conference this year, somewhat unheard of. Lost to Pitt in the first round 2 to 1 in OT, now their fate will be on being an at large team selection in the NCAA tournament. By the way their lost to Pitt was the first of the season, but unless they find someone who can score goals their departure will be early in the NCAA tournament.

Was able to catch the highlights of the game, a sure gut wrenching effort by the UNC women. Erin Matson has done a remarkable job replacing Karen Shelton, some of us were skeptical about this, but she has proven that she's worthy. Congratulations on being the ACC Champions, now onto the NCAA for them, wishing them noting but success going forward.

-My apologies to UNC Men's Cross Country who won the ACC championship a few days ago. Their championship (followed by Field Hockey winning the ACC championship last night) ensured that UNC has won at least 1 ACC Championship in 70 out of 71 years. #GDTBATH

Last edited:
Watch the women's team play Davidson on Sunday, it was a hard fought game which the ladies won 74 to 70. Observed a lot of things which could be a concern going forward, but I trust Banghart to rectify them before they get into the tough part of their schedule. Some examples were rebounding, interior defense, and FT shooting. Maybe this was an off game for the ladies team, and they will regroup and learn from it.
74-70 is a pretty high score for field hockey. That's got to be some kind of record.

That's going to be a tough game, Northwestern is always a perennial power in field hockey. Will be rooting hard for the Carolina women in this one, would be nice to add another championship.

@andrew jones, I know football and basketball pays the bills, but maybe you could do a daily drop or a short video about the field hockey team and Erin's switch to coach.

I don't really follow them much and only know so much about her story. And as tempting as it is to cover big games some of the other teams play, we just don't have the personnel to spread onto other events, and I simply don't have the time.

I will say this, I was at lunch with Bubba and a few other members of the media back in the summer, and he told us how hiring Erin played out. Very interesting, and she is awfully impressive.

I don't really follow them much and only know so much about her story. And as tempting as it is to cover big games some of the other teams play, we just don't have the personnel to spread onto other events, and I simply don't have the time.

I will say this, I was at lunch with Bubba and a few other members of the media back in the summer, and he told us how hiring Erin played out. Very interesting, and she is awfully impressive.
Would you be able to elaborate on the process or something that can’t be shared which would be understandable

Would you be able to elaborate on the process or something that can’t be shared which would be understandable

I would imagine it's been in articles about her over the last six months, though I haven't read any of them.

It's more about how she began transitioning into making herself as ready for the job as she could, somewhat distancing herself last season to develop more of a coach's distance personally from their team, etc. Bubba was highly impressed with her plan and how she sold him on being the new coach.

She wasn't on his radar, but once she got there, she impressed him so much he couldn't embrace the idea of her coaching just because of her age and that she was a teammate with many of the players.

I think it's an awesome story and something of which UNC fans of ALL sports should be proud.

I can understand. Although, knowing you're a baseball guy and knowing that football starts to get a little slow around baseball season, I expect a few of those drops to be about the baseball team. If you need some help covering them, I'll help you out for the small price of season tickets. ;)

I can understand. Although, knowing you're a baseball guy and knowing that football starts to get a little slow around baseball season, I expect a few of those drops to be about the baseball team. If you need some help covering them, I'll help you out for the small price of season tickets. ;)

I am a baseball guy, but we don't cover the team. We just don't have the resources, and I need to scale down personally at that time of the year. I work 362 days a year, and for nine months, I work 90 hours a week. So that is the time of year to scale back some and re-introduce myself to my family.

In a perfect world, I would cover them. I love baseball and it would be fun chronicling their season. But it's just not doable under current conditions.

I am a baseball guy, but we don't cover the team. We just don't have the resources, and I need to scale down personally at that time of the year. I work 362 days a year, and for nine months, I work 90 hours a week. So that is the time of year to scale back some and re-introduce myself to my family.

In a perfect world, I would cover them. I love baseball and it would be fun chronicling their season. But it's just not doable under current conditions.
Baseball is my favorite sport, so I've always thought it would be kinda fun to cover baseball, but I don't know if I would have the temperament to cover UNC. It would be hard for me to remain unbiased. All my reporting would have to be labeled as opinion pieces. I guess that's a kudos to you for being able to stay as unbiased as you do.

Reactions: andrew jones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT