ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four UNC Recruits...

Loses out? Kids have 300+ D1 schools out there, so explain how UNC "missed" anyone, ever.

We offer, they have every right to accept or go to Directional disadvantaged school....their choice...kinda like law....
offer + acceptance = contract but not in the modern world, since we only have a few scholarships to offer we are not in a position to "load up", we need 2-3 kids in certain spots looking to our future, limits UNC choices a bit, besides all the coaches that "get in" on a kid and then other big names show up with offers a day or two later...
It is a tough business but UNC will be just fine.

Reminds me of Tom McMillan...now that was fun.

Curious too, the links above don't show me much except the sportswriters favorite recruits, not those of the coach or staff. Who did we go see in that recent open period beginning of April?

This post was edited on 4/17 7:22 AM by Tom79

Also, I noticed that a player that led the nation at one point this past season in FG% (until the teams doubled him at the perimeter) is transferring from UNC-Asheville to the wolpfies. He's only 5'10" but can soot very well from distance 40% 3pt and 92% FT shooter. Originally from Roanoke so I thought he might head over to VCU...

Zimmerman to UNLV, wow, anyone surprised?

Roy and staff have some very good kids they are after so I'll just wait to see who suits up next year.

This post was edited on 4/17 8:02 AM by Tom79

Are there really ANY Tar Heel fans that do NOT understand why we are having trouble recruiting? REALLY?

Yes, it is obvious why we are having trouble this year. I surprised that everyone doesn't realize it.

The thing that bothers me is that the AD and new chancellor have been so passive in defending the program, The mantra should be "This was strictly an academic problem that has been handled!" The fact that students were duped and that some of them were athletes doesn't change it into a Ncaa violation. This passive acceptance allows rumor and innuendo to be used against us poisoning the recruiting waters.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Are there really ANY Tar Heel fans that do NOT understand why we are having trouble recruiting? REALLY?
Evidently they are refusing to believe that's the reason mike.

I hope you're not alluding to the academic "scandal" because that really has not been an issue in terms of impacting recruiting on the basketball front. The bulk of the "scandal" impacts the football program and it has not had significant impact to football recruiting. So why in the world would it have an impact on recruiting with the basketball program? I just think it's a convenient excuse to cover the fact that we are just not that attractive anymore to top 5-7(overall) recruits. I'm hoping this is just a temporary cycle we are going through and in a few years start seeing a shift and begin landing some of those guys again. But for now, we are just not "sexy" at the moment for elite recruits. And that has nothing to do with the scandal. But, the fact that we are still being included on the short lists of some of those recruits is a positive sign that we are still relevant to those recruits.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/02/04/off-field-scandals-dont-hurt-recruiting-for-fsu-unc/22902087/

And yes, Ingram has been quoted saying it has impacted his decision, but that is just a smokescreen to allow him to buy time while he mulls over his decision to choose betweeen us and Duke. Just ask anyone close to him. There's not a single OAD potentiial recruit that is thinking about any sanctions against our basketball program as having any impact on their decision. Anyone that says that it is simply....not telling the truth.
This post was edited on 4/17 9:56 AM by 32TheEnigma

Stack and Reggie hate dook and need to be telling Ingram "Son if you go to dook or Kentucky you are dead to us".

Originally posted by 32TheEnigma:
I hope you're not alluding to the academic "scandal" because that really has not been an issue in terms of impacting recruiting on the basketball front. The bulk of the "scandal" impacts the football program and it has not had significant impact to football recruiting. So why in the world would it have an impact on recruiting with the basketball program? I just think it's a convenient excuse to cover the fact that we are just not that attractive anymore to top 5-7(overall) recruits. I'm hoping this is just a temporary cycle we are going through and in a few years start seeing a shift and begin landing some of those guys again. But for now, we are just not "sexy" at the moment for elite recruits. And that has nothing to do with the scandal. But, the fact that we are still being included on the short lists of some of those recruits is a positive sign that we are still relevant to those recruits.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/02/04/off-field-scandals-dont-hurt-recruiting-for-fsu-unc/22902087/

And yes, Ingram has been quoted saying it has impacted his decision, but that is just a smokescreen to allow him to buy time while he mulls over his decision to choose betweeen us and Duke. Just ask anyone close to him. There's not a single OAD potentiial recruit that is thinking about any sanctions against our basketball program as having any impact on their decision. Anyone that says that it is simply....not telling the truth.
+1!

The scandal has not affected us for 5+ years worth of lackluster recruiting. The "scandal" only began to kick in when McC*nts started his tirade.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Stack and Reggie hate dook and need to be telling Ingram "Son if you go to dook or Kentucky you are dead to us".
It's going to be tough sell getting Ingram to come here and play behind JJ, because that is the reality of the situation. On the other hand, with what's left of Duke, he will immediately be a go to guy BUT will have more pressure to carry them and may alo have to play the 4 in certain situations and at 180 lbs soaking wet, that will be tough for him to do defensively. So, he's got a very tough decision to make and it ain't got nothing to do with an academic scandal.

Originally posted by 32TheEnigma:

I don't believe it's the sole reason. But to deny that the negative press - regardless of future sanctions - hasn't had an impact on us is absurd.

Originally posted by RoyWilliamsCOY:
It's a scary situation when UNC loses out on so many top talents..
Well..... the deal is that 2015 is the weakest class I can remember... I didn't see anybody at the McD game for example that I would lose sleep over not getting. We don't have any pressing needs for this class, just some "wants". Brown is a physical stud but is a definite one-and-done and doesn't fill any pressing need for this season, so not getting him is no big deal.

Ingram may or may not be one-and-done (he shouldn't be) and would be a nice addition, especially if he sticks around a while. Ingram would be a nice "get" and I'm not so sure we won't, but again, nothing this season is make or break.

Personally, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Roy add a relatively unheralded shooter/solid ball-player who could bring some depth to the 2 position behind Marcus... the kind of guy who lights us up when we play mid-majors. Otherwise we have ample talent for the upcoming season and 2016 is our critical recruiting class.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:44 AM by gary-7

+1

Great post gary-7.

2016 class will be huge for us, true, but we will be depleted following next season, we will have spots to fill for the kid that wants PT. Then we'll be down a year or two as they mature.

This post was edited on 4/17 12:23 PM by Tom79

top 5 recruiting classes are lackluster? 5+ years ago we celebrated a Natty and lost our whole team so I don't get this idea. The messiah, Cal, lost his team the same way got a bunch of OAD's and went to the NIT, but he suffered not one ounce of criticism We suffered a slide in recruiting since the scandal and not even one second before. Hard to revise history we don't even know. Roy missed on a few bigs and some shooters left early unexpectedly and we had a deficit, so what? All three of our youngsters were above average shooters/scorers in high school, and Berry and JJ could be great. Pinson was hampered by injury and since he is streaky, it cost him a good deal.

Roy was a little slow adjusting to the change in attitude of the kids. He did not start the shotgun recruit everyone approach that other coaches employed since he likes to be truthful about not recruiting over peeps. He has adjusted ( i hate it but it is necessary) and we will see the fruits once the NCAA gets off the pot.

UNC will be fine next year with what we have on board, but Roy (one of the best recruiters in bball history) is doing his usual tireless due diligence. Now we even ignore when someone says outright that he is effected by the scandal? So I guess if a kid saying this so emphatically doesn't convince the chicken littles. mere facts never will!

This is why I don't have to go on other boards-I get just as much over-the-top-no basis-in-fact drivel here!

Heels are Family!

I'm sick of excuses....to much hond grown talent saying no....that shouldn't happen no matter any scandal.... Your still gonna be on TV every game and no school puts more players in the NBA.? There is more to it than "the scandel"

ADVERTISEMENT