ADVERTISEMENT

Fire

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
On Bald Head Island NC.
Remote Island and completely water locked. They have every fire station in the county there. At least 6 homes on fire, the woods surrounding them, and much more threatened. They do not have the water pressure to fight these fires. Having to barge tankers across the mouth of the Cape Fear river to them.
Winds and dry conditions are not helping either. I would post some pics, but don't know how to do it from my phone. Should be easy to find on FB. Smoke could be seen on the local weather stations radar.

• Sad
Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
That would be terrifying. I hope they get everyone off the island safely.

The island I do work at has minimal 10' spacing between house. Bald head may have more given the higher end homes and bigger lots.

It's a mess. Hopefully very few home owners are still down. They do have a healthy amount of year rounders

On Bald Head Island NC.
Remote Island and completely water locked. They have every fire station in the county there. At least 6 homes on fire, the woods surrounding them, and much more threatened. They do not have the water pressure to fight these fires. Having to barge tankers across the mouth of the Cape Fear river to them.
Winds and dry conditions are not helping either. I would post some pics, but don't know how to do it from my phone. Should be easy to find on FB. Smoke could be seen on the local weather stations radar.
Wow, those are high dollar houses.

On Bald Head Island NC.
VVJEHFIIJVEFJE3GYUN2ILJ6F4.JPG

XNWSRZMEUBBL5D3AEEIEZPFOLQ.JPG

I'm not sure if anyone has been on the cape fear near bald head island. It's a large inlet which container ships make their way to the port. At certain times, it can be extremely rough and dangerous. Living on that island comes at a risk, due to being isolated from land. Winds push those fires steady. With the smoke plume showing up on radar is impressive to say the least. That fire could have been much worse. Thankfully they contained it as well as they did. I can't remember a fire like that over there. To compare, a fire happened on one of the canal lots on Holden a few years ago. They lost 4 houses and had good access to those. All due to wind direction.

I'm not sure if anyone has been on the cape fear near bald head island. It's a large inlet which container ships make their way to the port. At certain times, it can be extremely rough and dangerous. Living on that island comes at a risk, due to being isolated from land. Winds push those fires steady. With the smoke plume showing up on radar is impressive to say the least. That fire could have been much worse. Thankfully they contained it as well as they did. I can't remember a fire like that over there. To compare, a fire happened on one of the canal lots on Holden a few years ago. They lost 4 houses and had good access to those. All due to wind direction.

Yea it’s a challenge with these tall wood structures packed so
Close together. On Carolina beach I’ve seen several fires like that.

Speaking of such do you remember the condo fire here on cb two yrs ago? We are good friends with the girl who had to jump from the 3 rd floor. (Permanently partially disabled). Get this….the condos were one mile from a staffed fire dept. ONE MILE! The condos had passed all fire inspections. The fire broke out in the middle of the day and was called in immediately. Everything was as it’s supposed to be….and yet the girl still had to leap for her life and didn’t even have time to get her dog. The fire spread up the wood stair wells which didn’t have sprinklers and evidently weren’t required to. Scarey shit. Several of our friends purchased those fire ladders you attach to window sills after that.

Reactions: Heelicious
Yea it’s a challenge with these tall wood structures packed so
Close together. On Carolina beach I’ve seen several fires like that.

Speaking of such do you remember the condo fire here on cb two yrs ago? We are good friends with the girl who had to jump from the 3 rd floor. (Permanently partially disabled). Get this….the condos were one mile from a staffed fire dept. ONE MILE! The condos had passed all fire inspections. The fire broke out in the middle of the day and was called in immediately. Everything was as it’s supposed to be….and yet the girl still had to leap for her life and didn’t even have time to get her dog. The fire spread up the wood stair wells which didn’t have sprinklers and evidently weren’t required to. Scarey shit. Several of our friends purchased those fire ladders you attach to window sills after that.
I remember that. Certain multifamily structures do not require sprinklers. Rentals for some reason bypass that, unless they meet certain requirements. Structures like hotels do require sprinklers.

I personally feel multistory Residential should require 2 means of egress by stairs. Some of the homes have 1 interior stair from floor to floor. We have to build with windows in each bedroom to meet egress requirements. I also feel that the underside of beach homes should meet some sort of firewall requirements as well.
There was a fire here some years ago which someone was trapped and panic kept them from jumping.

Also had someone tripping on LSD to superman out the 3rd floor and die. Can't imagine what his dying moments was like.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
So did the firetrucks have to ferry their way over? Never really thought about that type of thing.

Did they use the DOT ferries from Southport?
I'm not certain. Bald Head has their own ferries. Not sure the DOT ferries could support tankers and firetruck. Baldhead is better set for commercial vehicles due to the building going on over there

I'm not certain. Bald Head has their own ferries. Not sure the DOT ferries could support tankers and firetruck. Baldhead is better set for commercial vehicles due to the building going on over there
I was trying to remember how large the Bald Head ferries were but I couldn’t.

it's a good thing Bald Head has their own. The State ferry system sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT