ADVERTISEMENT

Giles planning a fall decision

Keeping Berry for his Junior year is very important

Where exactly is he going? Is he a mormon that we didn't know about and going on a mission? If you're saying he's going pro after this season you are even higher on Joel than Mrs. Berry is.

Giles will hurt no doubt. We're literally losing every matchup vs. Duke in the recruiting battle.

P.S. Who cries after an AAU game? That actually made me laugh. I get you want to win, but in the end, it's an AAU tournament with very very little riding on the outcome of that game.

I definitely agree with you that Ingram is planning on being 1-and-done. And yeah, it would make for some interesting dynamics if we had a sophomore Ingram along with Tatum and Giles.

You're absolutely right about the pressure on these highly-ranked kids, and I honestly think it's very unfortunate. It should not be looked down upon if certain highly-rated players stick around college for 2-3 years before going pro. Not every class has the same caliber of player.

Like I think Brandon Ingram is a very good NBA prospect, but the reality is that he's 6'9 and looks about 180 pounds soaking wet. Unless you're a Kevin Durant-esque scorer, it's gonna be tough to go into the NBA with that build and succeed. Hell, there will probably be an adjustment period for Ingram in college, much less the NBA. It's different than a guy like Winslow who already had an NBA build before he even got to Duke.

I think college coaches and programs get way too much credit for developing players (especially ones that are 1-and-done), and they also get way too much blame for players who don't develop or have their anticipated impact.

I've said numerous times before, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that guys like Harrison Barnes and James McAdoo are used against UNC on the recruiting trail. Barnes was really, really good in both years at UNC. He CHOSE to come back for a sophomore year. He could have been 1-and-done if he wanted to and he would have turned out fine had he been 1-and-done. I think it was commendable that Barnes returned for a title run. And oh man, he was the 7th overall pick to the Warriors after his sophomore year of college. What a travesty, playing 2 years of college hoops.

And McAdoo is the funniest one to me. McAdoo is a microcosm of how backward and fvcked up the perception of these recruits and players are. It is SO STUPID to me how UNC's "perception" might be better to recruits had they pushed McAdoo out the door after his freshman year. If McAdoo had been 1-and-done, he would have been completely overwhelmed in the NBA. There is a 0% chance he would've stuck in the league had he done that, regardless of where he would have been drafted.

I did anticipate McAdoo to develop into more of a force in college over his 3 years, but I think he potentially saved his pro career by sticking around. McAdoo was not a 1-and-done level talent, regardless of his HS ranking or where he was projected after his freshman year. He was on a loaded UNC team his freshman year and didn't get the chance to "get exposed." I think it's so much better to tell guys like McAdoo what they need to hear (that you need to come back another year), as opposed to telling guys what they want to hear and pushing them out the door before they're ready to move on. Players like McAdoo, and even Justin Jackson this year, sticking around school for 2-3 years, should be commended much more than UK is commended for pushing guys like Marquis Teague and Archie Goodwin out the door after 1 year. Marquis Teague's NBA career is over. McAdoo is much more likely to stick in the league, BECAUSE he stayed in school.

This is a great post, agreed with everything you said.

For the '16 season we have a strong chance of bringing back meeks,hicks,pinson,berry(JJ probably will be gone)..add in britt,williams,maye..get a couple of kids outside the top ten(Bradley,SKJ,Delaurier,maybe woods or smith)..and i think we are in good shape heading into '17..therefore making that '17 class very important with the overhaul we will have in '16!!(With Felton already being on board in '17)

Most sensible post I've seen in a while.

Giles is as likely to go to Wake as Tatum was to St. Louis. These kids have egos the size of Hollywood stars and Wake can't give him the national exposure he is addicted to.

Giles is as likely to go to Wake as Tatum was to St. Louis. These kids have egos the size of Hollywood stars and Wake can't give him the national exposure he is addicted to.

Lol. The fact that Duke almost always wins, has a far better roster capable of competing at the highest level, a coach with far more of a history of producing NBA players, is a better academic school, etc. probably has something to do with it as well. Particularly given the fact that Duke is a relatively short drive from his hometown, other than personal preference, there is really no basketball-related reason for a kid like Giles to commit to Wake over Duke at this point in the Wake rebuild.

Lol. The fact that Duke almost always wins, has a far better roster capable of competing at the highest level, a coach with far more of a history of producing NBA players, is a better academic school, etc. probably has something to do with it as well. Particularly given the fact that Duke is a relatively short drive from his hometown, other than personal preference, there is really no basketball-related reason for a kid like Giles to commit to Wake over Duke at this point in the Wake rebuild.
agree on all except "better academic school" OAD's don't give a rat's azzz about that. Also history of producing NBA players really not that strong. NBA not really going to change opinion of a player based on who he plays for one year. The only way that will change is if he is just exposed as not having "it" for the next level.

Reactions: RP12
I definitely agree with you that Ingram is planning on being 1-and-done. And yeah, it would make for some interesting dynamics if we had a sophomore Ingram along with Tatum and Giles.

You're absolutely right about the pressure on these highly-ranked kids, and I honestly think it's very unfortunate. It should not be looked down upon if certain highly-rated players stick around college for 2-3 years before going pro. Not every class has the same caliber of player.

Like I think Brandon Ingram is a very good NBA prospect, but the reality is that he's 6'9 and looks about 180 pounds soaking wet. Unless you're a Kevin Durant-esque scorer, it's gonna be tough to go into the NBA with that build and succeed. Hell, there will probably be an adjustment period for Ingram in college, much less the NBA. It's different than a guy like Winslow who already had an NBA build before he even got to Duke.

I think college coaches and programs get way too much credit for developing players (especially ones that are 1-and-done), and they also get way too much blame for players who don't develop or have their anticipated impact.

I've said numerous times before, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that guys like Harrison Barnes and James McAdoo are used against UNC on the recruiting trail. Barnes was really, really good in both years at UNC. He CHOSE to come back for a sophomore year. He could have been 1-and-done if he wanted to and he would have turned out fine had he been 1-and-done. I think it was commendable that Barnes returned for a title run. And oh man, he was the 7th overall pick to the Warriors after his sophomore year of college. What a travesty, playing 2 years of college hoops.

And McAdoo is the funniest one to me. McAdoo is a microcosm of how backward and fvcked up the perception of these recruits and players are. It is SO STUPID to me how UNC's "perception" might be better to recruits had they pushed McAdoo out the door after his freshman year. If McAdoo had been 1-and-done, he would have been completely overwhelmed in the NBA. There is a 0% chance he would've stuck in the league had he done that, regardless of where he would have been drafted.

I did anticipate McAdoo to develop into more of a force in college over his 3 years, but I think he potentially saved his pro career by sticking around. McAdoo was not a 1-and-done level talent, regardless of his HS ranking or where he was projected after his freshman year. He was on a loaded UNC team his freshman year and didn't get the chance to "get exposed." I think it's so much better to tell guys like McAdoo what they need to hear (that you need to come back another year), as opposed to telling guys what they want to hear and pushing them out the door before they're ready to move on. Players like McAdoo, and even Justin Jackson this year, sticking around school for 2-3 years, should be commended much more than UK is commended for pushing guys like Marquis Teague and Archie Goodwin out the door after 1 year. Marquis Teague's NBA career is over. McAdoo is much more likely to stick in the league, BECAUSE he stayed in school.
Marquis Teague was never pushed out the door. In fact, him and Doron Lamb were told that they should come back.

agree on all except "better academic school" OAD's don't give a rat's azzz about that. Also history of producing NBA players really not that strong. NBA not really going to change opinion of a player based on who he plays for one year. The only way that will change is if he is just exposed as not having "it" for the next level.
I actually disagree. I think Cal gets his players drafted higher than if they went elsewhere. Just as one example - Towns. Cal forced him to develop a low post game and by year end it was actually decent; many coaches wouldn't/couldn't have done that. I also think he managed Towns' minutes so that it was less obvious that he's a fouling machine. In ~ 20 mins/game Towns averaged over 3 fouls; if he had played as much as Okafor he would have fouled out 10+ times. Just look at his fouls/minute in the summer games so far: he's averaging 7 fouls per 30 minutes.

I actually disagree. I think Cal gets his players drafted higher than if they went elsewhere. Just as one example - Towns. Cal forced him to develop a low post game and by year end it was actually decent; many coaches wouldn't/couldn't have done that. I also think he managed Towns' minutes so that it was less obvious that he's a fouling machine. In ~ 20 mins/game Towns averaged over 3 fouls; if he had played as much as Okafor he would have fouled out 10+ times. Just look at his fouls/minute in the summer games so far: he's averaging 7 fouls per 30 minutes.
Are you kidding. Towns was the #5 rated prospect in 2014. He had the luxury of not playing him that many minutes. Ok then explain the Harrison superstars and their slide....Cal great recruiter , so so game coach and many say the same about Roy. They are both accused of only winning when they have the best talent. Cal has definitely had the best talent the last few years.

If Giles wants to be a Tar Heel great, love ot have him but if he doesn't then go, dont care where he goes but just go. We wil get players and we will put a solid team on the floor with Giles on it or vs Giles, doesn't really matter, I will be rooting for my heels !

Doesn't look like a OAD to me.

That's his plan. I'm a Duke fan, but I'm least ecstatic about him as I feel he's only going to try and showcase his skills, even at the detriment of the team.

Also, as I noted on another thread, lobsters is a UK fan so he loves himself some Kal.

Are you kidding. Towns was the #5 rated prospect in 2014. He had the luxury of not playing him that many minutes. Ok then explain the Harrison superstars and their slide....Cal great recruiter , so so game coach and many say the same about Roy. They are both accused of only winning when they have the best talent. Cal has definitely had the best talent the last few years.
I'm saying Cal gets his guys higher in the draft, your argument is Towns was the 5th-rated recruit, and then Towns goes #1. Hmmmm....

I agree that Cal is a so-so game coach - if not worse, imo - and wins because of massive talent advantages. Again, that has nothing to do with my point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT