ADVERTISEMENT

Hands off Felton Kensucky!

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
There it is in the interview.

Jalek is a UNC commit, he's 95% sure he wants to be a Heel (NCAA investigation keeps it from being 100%) and at the end of the interview he's asked if there's a dream school to take him away from Carolina... his response: "North Carolina is my dream school"

And yet Kentucky is still recruiting him - he goes on to say it's not Calamari, but one of the assistants. South Carolina is doing the same.

I don't know if Roy does this, but it's a despicable recruiting tactic.

Happens all the time in Football. I just saw his interview. Seems understandable for him to say 95% and wait until everything is confirmed. He will be a Heel. More schools will recruit him as his stock rises by his senior season.

oops, just re-read the heading and it should have been "Hands OFF"
I'm sure you guys get the meaning anyway
:rolleyes:

Any way of changing a thread heading?
No worries, just found it.

Jalek Felton is the last person we should be worried about.

Reactions: CJBlue
i'm told "that's the plan!"

when i posted "watch out for felton" in the early spring i was questioned.

Ain't gonna happen. Might be Frank Martins plan but won't be Jalek's as long as unc doesn't get postseason bans. Heck, Martin may be unemployed by 2017.

Lol....we would love to get Felton but I don't see going anywhere but unc. Devontae Shuler is the one for 2017 for us.

This is an interesting thread. Does the OP really think it is unethical (or otherwise bad form) to keep recruiting a kid who is not 100% committed? At what percentage then would it be OK to keep recruiting? 90%? 85%? In these situations, I usually ask myself how I would feel if it was the other way around. Sure, I would not want UNC to keep recruiting him, but I don't see how I could fault them. Similarly, are you saying if the situation was reversed that you would want Roy to stop recruiting a kid even though he is not committed? I suspect you would be very quick to say "Screw Kentucky and Cal...Roy has every right to go after him until he is 100% committed, especially considering the possible sanctions."

This is an interesting thread. Does the OP really think it is unethical (or otherwise bad form) to keep recruiting a kid who is not 100% committed? At what percentage then would it be OK to keep recruiting? 90%? 85%? In these situations, I usually ask myself how I would feel if it was the other way around. Sure, I would not want UNC to keep recruiting him, but I don't see how I could fault them. Similarly, are you saying if the situation was reversed that you would want Roy to stop recruiting a kid even though he is not committed? I suspect you would be very quick to say "Screw Kentucky and Cal...Roy has every right to go after him until he is 100% committed, especially considering the possible sanctions."

Hi Shawn. Very simple, when I started the thread Felton had announced his commitment to UNC. In the interview he said he'd been contacted by a Kensucky assistant.

So let me put it this way, you go to a bar with your fiancé, you're not married yet, is she fair game? What would you do if the overrated slimeball you knew in school started hitting on her?

And now, back to Felton, it looks like those advances are having an effect. It may be an acceptable recruiting tactic in football but it's still dirty from these cheap seats.

Hi Shawn. Very simple, when I started the thread Felton had announced his commitment to UNC. In the interview he said he'd been contacted by a Kensucky assistant.

So let me put it this way, you go to a bar with your fiancé, you're not married yet, is she fair game? What would you do if the overrated slimeball you knew in school started hitting on her?

And now, back to Felton, it looks like those advances are having an effect. It may be an acceptable recruiting tactic in football but it's still dirty from these cheap seats.
Well, in my mind, 95% is not "committed." That is what I was referring to. As for your analogy, I don't think that is comparable. Recruiting a player who 95% feels like he wants to go to one school is not the same as another guy knowingly hitting on someone's fiance. Anyway, back to Felton. Answer honestly, if the tables were completely flipped, are you saying you would actually fault Roy if he kept recruiting the kid? Even if the kid said he was 95% sure about Kentucky, but wanted to wait to fully commit because of possible sanctions? Again, I suspect you would be very quick to defend Roy because the kid is not completely committed, and even though he is only waiting because of possible sanctions, it makes sense for other schools to keep recruiting him if for nothing else to try to position themselves as the next school in line should sanctions cause the kid not to go to UNC.

Well, in my mind, 95% is not "committed." That is what I was referring to. As for your analogy, I don't think that is comparable. Recruiting a player who 95% feels like he wants to go to one school is not the same as another guy knowingly hitting on someone's fiance. Anyway, back to Felton. Answer honestly, if the tables were completely flipped, are you saying you would actually fault Roy if he kept recruiting the kid? Even if the kid said he was 95% sure about Kentucky, but wanted to wait to fully commit because of possible sanctions? Again, I suspect you would be very quick to defend Roy because the kid is not completely committed, and even though he is only waiting because of possible sanctions, it makes sense for other schools to keep recruiting him if for nothing else to try to position themselves as the next school in line should sanctions cause the kid not to go to UNC.
I think I'll agree to disagree. If a kid announces, tweets, etc a commitment to a school then I believe it's hands off. I have no idea if Roy does or doesn't keep recruiting other schools commits but id rather he didn't. Maybe that's just me.

I think I'll agree to disagree. If a kid announces, tweets, etc a commitment to a school then I believe it's hands off. I have no idea if Roy does or doesn't keep recruiting other schools commits but id rather he didn't. Maybe that's just me.
Fair enough. I am sort of agnostic about the whole "recruiting committed kids" thing. On the one hand, maybe it is better to just leave kids alone after they commit. But on the other hand, we want kids to make fully-informed decisions, so as long as we assume that nothing dirty is going on, then if a kid ultimately decides to go somewhere else, then that should not be a negative development because that simply means he found a situation that made him more comfortable. These kids are so young, so they can get caught up and commit too quickly, which should not prevent them from being able to learn about other schools in case they made a mistake (though the negative side here is that kids can be manipulated very easily). Using your earlier analogy, if another guy steals away your fiance, then that is not necessarily a bad thing (for you or her) because that means you were never meant to be together in the first place.

Using your earlier analogy, if another guy steals away your fiance, then that is not necessarily a bad thing (for you or her) because that means you were never meant to be together in the first place.

Touché! Nice one.

Though I don't think he'd get a chance to steal her before I at least try to plant my fist halfway up his nasal passage. Maybe that's the way recruiting should go.... the coaches have it out, bare knuckles in a cage.

Touché! Nice one.

Though I don't think he'd get a chance to steal her before I at least try to plant my fist halfway up his nasal passage. Maybe that's the way recruiting should go.... the coaches have it out, bare knuckles in a cage.
Ha! If that was the case, I would never go up against South Carolina for a recruit!

I would want Roy to back off because he would be wasting his time. Focus on some other kid who is less certain.

But I don't care if Cal continues to recruit him. If Felton really is that certain about Carolina, then Cal is wasting his time which could be spent on others. And if Felton is not that certain, then who cares as he is obviously not mature enough to play for any top school. Let Cal have him if this is the case.

Reactions: al would
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT