ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Barnes

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
...is a damn good basketball player.

I've been watching the playoffs (really the only NBA I watch and I usually only tune in to games where former Heels are playing). But he has been impressive despite not being a big time scorer. Obviously Curry and Thompson get the lion's share of the shots and plays called for them. But Barnes does pretty much everything right in his supporting role. He's really become a very good defender. He defends 4 positions (2-5) and does an admirable job regardless with his on-the-ball pressure. He's also a fantastic help defender. When he needs to rebound, he can and does. He shares the ball (because you have to with Steph and Thompson or you won't see the floor). He takes good shots. His shooting percentage in the playoffs is over 50%. While he's not shooting the 3 ball at a very high clip, I assume that will come around. He also seems to make really smart, big plays at the most crucial time. It has been a pleasure to watch him play.

I'm hoping that GS wins the championship. Not only because I'd like another Heel to get another ring, but because if they do, I think Barnes will be happy to have won in a supporting role and will leave GS when his contract is up. And I think he could be a second option on a good team and a 20 ppg kind of player. See Jimmy Butler.

I've been watching the playoffs (really the only NBA I watch and I usually only tune in to games where former Heels are playing). But he has been impressive despite not being a big time scorer. Obviously Curry and Thompson get the lion's share of the shots and plays called for them. But Barnes does pretty much everything right in his supporting role. He's really become a very good defender. He defends 4 positions (2-5) and does an admirable job regardless with his on-the-ball pressure. He's also a fantastic help defender. When he needs to rebound, he can and does. He shares the ball (because you have to with Steph and Thompson or you won't see the floor). He takes good shots. His shooting percentage in the playoffs is over 50%. While he's not shooting the 3 ball at a very high clip, I assume that will come around. He also seems to make really smart, big plays at the most crucial time. It has been a pleasure to watch him play.

I'm hoping that GS wins the championship. Not only because I'd like another Heel to get another ring, but because if they do, I think Barnes will be happy to have won in a supporting role and will leave GS when his contract is up. And I think he could be a second option on a good team and a 20 ppg kind of player. See Jimmy Butler.

I agree for the most most part except him leaving for another team. If he can get a "max" contract and help make Golden State become a team similar San Antonio he may stick around. I see no reason why he can't become the "third' superstar on the team and be in contention for a title for the next 7-10 years.

Reactions: Heelicious

Agreed, and all good observations. And here's the thing: the most underrated transformation this GS team made was when Kerr came in and had the good sense to move HB back into the starting lineup. Made all the difference in the world. Barnes' unselfishness and versatility are invaluable. He can be the 3rd threat from the perimeter and just when you forget about him his explosive athleticism enables him to power the ball through bigger defenders in the paint. Those same physical qualities also help enable Green to get by as an undersized NBA 4-man in that HB can help clean the glass. He and Green also play well together and are both physically powerful enough to help out Bogut in the trenches.

Reactions: Heelicious
I love watching GS play, especially now that Barnes is playing a bigger role. If he can take the next step in becoming more aggressive, similar to what Leonard has done in San Antonio, I think he can realize alot more of his potential. Not sure whether that can happen in GS.

underated defensively....love watching him bang on bigger 4's...he is strong enough to manage but much quicker which causes a match up nightmare for the opposing coach!!!!

Echoing everyone here...love seeing this kid develop into a very good NBA player. I think the key is that he has a role on this team that's pretty well defined. Same with Danny in SA, Henson in MIL.

The jumper is much improved since his time here and the defense is at a different level.

Talking contract, no way GS will be able to keep him and Draymond. They already have Steph, Klay, Bogut, Andre being paid. Green will get his this offseason. Barnes will wind up being a casualty when his rookie deal is up.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Good role player. Doesn't have a lead dog mentality.

I agree. But so what? Tons of guys have had similar dispositions and have had long careers that make them a ton of money. He can be an all-star one day even without that killer instinct.

But even if he had that, he's not gifted enough to be a league MVP type. His ceiling is that of a Sean Elliot or maybe a Glenn Robinson. Here's to hoping he fulfills his potential.

Echoing everyone here...love seeing this kid develop into a very good NBA player. I think the key is that he has a role on this team that's pretty well defined. Same with Danny in SA, Henson in MIL.

The jumper is much improved since his time here and the defense is at a different level.

Talking contract, no way GS will be able to keep him and Draymond. They already have Steph, Klay, Bogut, Andre being paid. Green will get his this offseason. Barnes will wind up being a casualty when his rookie deal is up.

I agree with all of that.

I agree for the most most part except him leaving for another team. If he can get a "max" contract and help make Golden State become a team similar San Antonio he may stick around. I see no reason why he can't become the "third' superstar on the team and be in contention for a title for the next 7-10 years.
a max contract? really?

Reactions: Bur-Heel
He has the league MVP on his team. Why would he even try to be the lead dog. He plays his role perfect and it will likely earn him a ring
I agree. But so what? Tons of guys have had similar dispositions and have had long careers that make them a ton of money. He can be an all-star one day even without that killer instinct.

But even if he had that, he's not gifted enough to be a league MVP type. His ceiling is that of a Sean Elliot or maybe a Glenn Robinson. Here's to hoping he fulfills his potential.

It isn't an insult.

And as you both have said... you agree. So why take it as so? He is a very good complementary player. There is a reason they refused to trade him many times now.

Barnes is my favorite Tar Heel since big game James. When the Warriors drafted him, they became my squad. Over the last 3 seasons I've missed around 20 games and have gone to 3 playoff games. Everything you said is on point, except when you said he guards positions 2-5. He also guards PGs very well. Many occasions they had him guard tony parker, chris Paul and Russell Westbrook (to name a few). His defense has been his calling card this year. He's really become a force on D. His strength down low is remarkable. He rarely gives up ground down low. His length on the perimeter to go along with his ability to stay in front of the ball handler on the perimeter gives him a decided edge vs wings and guards.

His inconsistencies on the offensive end have been becoming far and few in between. Kerrs offense, keeping the ball moving and always looking for the open man has been a big reason for his offensive rebirth. Under mark jackson, barnes was coming off the bench as the "scoring punch". Which wouldn't have been too bad IF jackson was clueless when calling plays. ISO. That's the only play jackson ever called for him and it was rarely in the post. He was asked to take his man off the dribble after getting the ball 27 feet from the hoop. While he had some success, his handles were his downfall. If he happened to get past his man, he'd usually be going full blast and lose touch on his shot only to clang it off the rim. This season has been a different story. He's been the perfect wing compliment to curry and klay. His passing has become more crisp, vision is much improved and his shot selection is the best on the team. Never forces and usually makes the right basketball play (drive, dish or shoot). He's becoming a better rebounder as well. Without him, the Warriors are still a very good team, no question.....but are they a championship team? I don't think so. Biased? Definitely, but he's been a big piece of the warrior pie this year. FALCON!!!!

Of all the NBA players, I think Harrison would be most likely to resign for less money than he can make on the free agent market in order to stay with the Dubs. They have a special thing going on in my home of 10 years, and I hope they can keep the core group together, including Barnes. This is a perfect team for his game and his unselfish, do what is best for the team mentality.

Of all the NBA players, I think Harrison would be most likely to resign for less money than he can make on the free agent market in order to stay with the Dubs. They have a special thing going on in my home of 10 years, and I hope they can keep the core group together, including Barnes. This is a perfect team for his game and his unselfish, do what is best for the team mentality.

This is an excellent thread and post. I admit I am a Dub Nation band wagoner, new in the last couple years, but the bringing on of Kerr, moving TBF to starter, and they style that they play, make them the most fun and interesting team to watch in the NBA, and its not close IMO. People call them a jump shooting team, and they are great shooters, but they are also second in the league in points in the paint. Nobody seems to mention that. Also first in defense, and point differential. That hasn't been done for about 30 years, IIRC.

I agree with jah about TBF staying with W's for less money maybe. TBF posts on FB quite a bit about DubNation and you can tell he really has a strong bond with a lot of the guys on this team. He's not just out to "get his".

TBF obviously isn't the best player on this team. He's probably 4th / 5th best behind splash bros, Draymond, etc. But I do think he is the best overall "give you all components of the game" guy on this team, from scoring, garbage rebound and cleanup putbacks, defense on about any position, ball handling on perimeter, running the break or finishing it, etc. Just a great ALL AROUND player. Great team attitude, too.

I hope if they get to the Finals they blow the doors off of the Cleveland LeBrons. And, it'd be TWO more Heels with titles.... remember the W's have JM McAdoo, though unfortunately he won't likely see the court unless its a blowout win or loss for the W's - still like his energy and enthusiasm too.

Reactions: jah420
Right!!..no way..smh

I know it doesn't seem like he should be a max contract guy in rational world. I don't follow the NBA that closely, but follow it enough to believe there are probably at least a half dozen guys who ask for and get max contracts, that are lesser players than TBF. Living in Minnesota, Ricky Rubio is the first that comes to mind.

Barnes' greatest asset is between his ears. Sure, he has unbelievable talent and sneaky good athleticism, but I have always been impressed by his attitude and intelligence on and off the court. He is just a great ambassador for the Tar Heels. I am proud of what he is accomplishing, and miss watching him in Carolina blue.

I love Harrison Barnes but I just Don't think a guy averaging 10 points 5 rebounds and 1.4 assists a game is heading to a max contract. Rubio's numbers are similar but with more assists and less shooting %. Rubio makes in the 4 mil range and I think Barnes in the 3+ mil but just don't see either as max contract guys , well not in a sane world anyway.

I love Harrison Barnes but I just Don't think a guy averaging 10 points 5 rebounds and 1.4 assists a game is heading to a max contract. Rubio's numbers are similar but with more assists and less shooting %. Rubio makes in the 4 mil range and I think Barnes in the 3+ mil but just don't see either as max contract guys , well not in a sane world anyway.

I can be fairly certain this is the first time Harrison Barnes has ever been compared to Ricky Rubio. They are completely, 100% different players.

I can be fairly certain this is the first time Harrison Barnes has ever been compared to Ricky Rubio. They are completely, 100% different players.

I don't think anyone is necessarily comparing their games - just that they are maybe the same caliber/level of talent.

How did you read that I was comparing their games??? Completely different players but 10 points a game is 10 points a game and not in any way worthy of a max contract.

I really like Barnes as a player but he is a role player. Last night he missed an open 3 pointer and a twisting layup in the last 90 seconds or so and GS was able to escape with the win only when Curry and Thompson double teamed Harden to prevent the last shot attempt. I only watched the last 2:30 or so but Curry and Harden are nuttin' but the truth.

You don't think ba
I really like Barnes as a player but he is a role player. Last night he missed an open 3 pointer and a twisting layup in the last 90 seconds or so and GS was able to escape with the win only when Curry and Thompson double teamed Harden to prevent the last shot attempt. I only watched the last 2:30 or so but Curry and Harden are nuttin' but the truth.

How quickly people forget that Hardin was a role player for OKC a few years ago behind Westbrook and Durant. If Barnes was the # 1 or #2 option on another team I have no doubt he would average 15-18 points a game. .

That's true and I remember both plays. But he's still shooting above 50% in the playoffs and in game 1, I think he had 9 points in the 4th quarter. Some days are good and some are bad.

he will get a max. the stats dont tell his whole game and the playoffs are showing that. He is quickly becoming one of the top defenders in the league. He guarded zac Randolph at times against memphis, and held his own. He guarded Chris Paul at times against the Clippers. if he got to shoot 15 times a game he wouls be closer to 20pts a game. In these playoffs he is shooting 50%. Thr warriors are +12.7 per 100 possessions with Barnes on the floor, -1.2 when is off the floor. Things are magnified in the playoffs and other teams are noticing his high potential. He will most likely get a max contract or close to it and get a chance to be one of the main guys. Unless the salary cap goes up big time next year, expect Barnes to look elsewhere for a bigger role. get him in a hornet uni MJ!!

he will get a max. the stats dont tell his whole game and the playoffs are showing that. He is quickly becoming one of the top defenders in the league. He guarded zac Randolph at times against memphis, and held his own. He guarded Chris Paul at times against the Clippers. if he got to shoot 15 times a game he wouls be closer to 20pts a game. In these playoffs he is shooting 50%. Thr warriors are +12.7 per 100 possessions with Barnes on the floor, -1.2 when is off the floor. Things are magnified in the playoffs and other teams are noticing his high potential. He will most likely get a max contract or close to it and get a chance to be one of the main guys. Unless the salary cap goes up big time next year, expect Barnes to look elsewhere for a bigger role. get him in a hornet uni MJ!!

Good stuff. Cool stat regarding per 100 possessions with and without Barnes. As my post stated, I think he's leaving GS and I think he should. But I'm not really in favor of him going to Charlotte. Boston is retooling and I could see them being interested in Barnes. I could see Barnes and Brad Stevens clicking well. The Heat and Pistons also seem like good fits to me. Strong coaches, good front office and a need for a SF of the future.

(Didnt read article) Yes he absolutely gets credit for shutting down J Harden. Prior to game three of this series Harden has averaged 33 ppg and nearly 68% from the field. But not against HB, he only scored 17 and shot under 20%.

Last edited:
(Didnt read article) Yes he absolutely gets credit for shutting down J Harden. Prior to game three of this series Harden has averaged 33 ppg and nearly 68% from the field. But not against HB, he only scored 17 and shot under 20%.
Harden has gone for 45 , 17 and 38 his last 3 games. I guess Dan Dakich shutdown MJ also?

Stats don't lie at least not to us in Realville. Stats plus the whole game will get you a max that's just a fact.

Max contract?? Before the '12 draft I said HB is basically another Evan Turner. I don't see anything that suggests otherwise. They have basically the same frame (HB is 1 inch taller, 5 lbs heavier), and play a similar style. HB is headier and probably a better teammate. Turner's numbers are slightly better across the board. But otherwise, they are carbon copies. So if you think Barnes deserves a max contract as arguably the 5th best player on his team, you need to be willing to pay Evan Turner max money. And that's not happening anytime soon.

Career averages
Turner: 10.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.6 apg, .2 bpg, .8 spg, .427 fg%, 12.2 PER

Barnes: 9.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.4 apg, .2 bpg, .7 spg, .440 fg%, 11.4 PER

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT