ADVERTISEMENT

History Lesson

thaUNCshow

All-ACC
Mar 25, 2010
Lets go back to November 2009

UNC had just finished winning their 2nd title in 5 seasons
Dook is coming off an embarrassing blowout in the Sweet 16

The jewel of the high school class is Harrison Barnes, considered by some to be the best high school player since Lebron James.
Barnes is making his decision, and Dook seems to be the favorite. A Skype call is made to Roy Williams, and Barnes is a Tar Heel.

Carolina gets richer, and Dook appears to be on life-support, unable to compete with the UNC's and Kansas's of the sport.

6 months later, Dook is cutting down the nets, while UNC is losing in the NIT finals.

point I'm trying to make is that Brandon Ingram is not gonna make or break this season. We have a good thing going, and this appears to be the same exact story as 6 years ago, just with the roles reversed. Carolina's program looks to be fading fast, but a title next season and our program could be right where it was 6 years ago, and at the same level as Dook right now

Not that I see us as "fading" but agree with the point for sure. Ingram doesn't make or break us at all. We have something potentially very special coming back as is, and cutting down the nets would cure multitudes of perceived ills and remind kids that Carolina is indeed still Carolina.
And honestly, KW may well be the bigger need and chemistry fit.

^ Depends on which generation you represent. Yes there was a time in Carolina basketball history when just a sweet 16 appearance was , and I don't want use the word failure, not up to Carolina standards at all.

Many of y'all really do tend to forget the "lean times" with Dean don't you? And it looks like many never lived thru 8-20 season by Doh.

Todays college ball is super competitive and it's all about the kids now, not the school. That's whats sad.

Lets go back to November 2009

UNC had just finished winning their 2nd title in 5 seasons
Dook is coming off an embarrassing blowout in the Sweet 16

The jewel of the high school class is Harrison Barnes, considered by some to be the best high school player since Lebron James.
Barnes is making his decision, and Dook seems to be the favorite. A Skype call is made to Roy Williams, and Barnes is a Tar Heel.

Carolina gets richer, and Dook appears to be on life-support, unable to compete with the UNC's and Kansas's of the sport.

6 months later, Dook is cutting down the nets, while UNC is losing in the NIT finals.

point I'm trying to make is that Brandon Ingram is not gonna make or break this season. We have a good thing going, and this appears to be the same exact story as 6 years ago, just with the roles reversed. Carolina's program looks to be fading fast, but a title next season and our program could be right where it was 6 years ago, and at the same level as Dook right now

This has been my thought for a few months now, actually. When you're in a system that has a revolving door of players every couple of years...and even more-so now in the OAD age...every program is going to have cycles of up and down seasons. The "prisoner of the moment" media talking heads slobber over whoever is winning at the moment and fanbases fall for it every single year. The best coaches and programs are able to weather the down years until things break in their favor again. Roy is a Hall of Fame coach for a reason...everyone just needs to chill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT