ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question...

J.COX

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
Greensboro
Admittedly I haven't been able to follow Heels baseball as much as I would like.

With that said, I would appreciate a few takes on the state of the program as it stands today.

It doesn't appear we are having the success we once had. Am I way off on this? Set me straight guys.

Admittedly I haven't been able to follow Heels baseball as much as I would like.

With that said, I would appreciate a few takes on the state of the program as it stands today.

It doesn't appear we are having the success we once had. Am I way off on this? Set me straight guys.
You're not mistaken, although this year and last seem more like blips in performance than a downward trend.

UNC continues to recruit very well, but getting all those guys to campus is a challenge. We had what, 7?, recruits go pro instead of coming to Chapel Hill this season.

The pitching this season has been a disappointment, particularly the bullpen. The Reilly Hovis injury has something to do with that...he was 9-1 last season with a 2.25 ERA.

The injury to Wood Myers was equally tough. Last season he was a .300 batter and was probably our best infielder this year.

The thing that might be hurting us most is the lack of star power and a vocal leader. I thought for sure some upper classman would step up to be "the Man" for us but it just hasn't happened. We have a roster full of talented players but we continue to be tormented by a lack of consistency, same as last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarrod Hardy
You're not mistaken, although this year and last seem more like blips in performance than a downward trend.

UNC continues to recruit very well, but getting all those guys to campus is a challenge. We had what, 7?, recruits go pro instead of coming to Chapel Hill this season.

The pitching this season has been a disappointment, particularly the bullpen. The Reilly Hovis injury has something to do with that...he was 9-1 last season with a 2.25 ERA.

The injury to Wood Myers was equally tough. Last season he was a .300 batter and was probably our best infielder this year.

The thing that might be hurting us most is the lack of star power and a vocal leader. I thought for sure some upper classman would step up to be "the Man" for us but it just hasn't happened. We have a roster full of talented players but we continue to be tormented by a lack of consistency, same as last year.

Thanks for the reply , you make a lot of great points.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I just hope the Tar Heels make the NCAA playoffs and continue this season so that I can read John's and RH's comments during the games ;)
Indeed, my friend. I think the Heels are in. What a performance from Bukauskas today!

I watched but was too afraid to post. If we make the tournament, I promise to participate in game threads. I've been laying low for fear of jinxing our postseason chances. :confused:

Indeed, my friend. I think the Heels are in. What a performance from Bukauskas today!

I watched but was too afraid to post. If we make the tournament, I promise to participate in game threads. I've been laying low for fear of jinxing our postseason chances. :confused:

RH, I understand. I kept switching channels today, this UNC team "shot my nerves" all to pieces.:)

Reactions: Raising Heel
I didn't watch today so I guess my UNC baseball watching is over for the season! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT