ADVERTISEMENT

Hotel/Restaurant Suggestions

bluehen_billk

Freshman
Jan 2, 2004
Attending my first Tar Heels football game this fall with my two young boys. Any hotel and/or family dining suggestions in Chapel Hill or the surrounding area?

Thanks!

Get on the hotel quick. As in tonight.

Just the 3 of you? Budget? How old are th kids? What are you looking for? Which game?

We get this kind of thread fairly often, so the more details you give the better the recommendations will be.

I'm assuming he (?) is a Delaware fan based on the user name.

These questions come up all the time. We really need to put something permanent together and pin it to the top of the board for basketball and football.

Anyway, I'll try to help out tomorrow but it's too late tonight. Booking a hotel now is a good call, though.

No response from bluehen yet, but here are a few hotel suggestion to get started.

In my opinion, the best value in Chapel Hill is the University Inn. It looks a little sketchy from the outside, and there are no interior hallways for the rooms, but the rooms themselves are reasonably well appointed and clean. The bathroom fixtures are a little dated and the grout in the showers could use a makeover. Also, the towels are thin and cheap. Otherwise, I have found the beds very comfortable and the linens clean. You also have standard furniture like a dresser, nightstands, sitting chair, table, flat screen TV, etc. and some rooms have a mini-fridge and microwave. You'll pay half of what you'd spend in most other Chapel Hill hotels (a king room goes for about $80 a night). The location is also convenient to shopping and the stadium. This is where I often stay when I'm traveling without the wife, which is probably what I should have led with LOL.

I've never stayed there, but the Carolina Inn is the classic place to stay. Think "old money." To me, its biggest appeal is location since it's the only hotel on campus. You could park the car when you get there and walk everywhere for the rest of the weekend, including the football game and Franklin Street. But young kids aren't going to appreciate the history or ambience of the hotel, so it might not be a good place for you.

Speaking of places kids won't appreciate, Hampton Inn in Carrboro, the town that neighbors Chapel Hill. It's only a couple years old, though, and it has a decent sports-pub type restaurant (Hickory Tavern) downstairs so there's that.

One of my personal favorites is the Courtyard by Marriott. Wouldn't say it's cheap but it's less than the three hotels mentioned above. I like it because it's close to campus but away from all the commotion. You'll have to drive to restaurants and shopping, but it has a nice big parking lot. The perk is that it's next door to the Friday Center, and shuttle buses to the game ($5 round trip, I think) leave from the Friday Center parking lot.

If you continue on Highway 54 (Raleigh Road) away from the Courtyard and campus, there are a Days Inn (which I've never stayed at) and a Hampton Inn (which I have). Both of them are technically in Durham, I think. The Hampton Inn is reasonably priced and well-maintained. If you don't mind staying a little farther away, it's a pretty good deal in terms of clean, comfortable, and affordable plus you get a free breakfast.

You can also head away from campus on Highway 15-501 (N. Fordham Blvd.) past University Inn and find some chain hotels like Sheraton, Residence Inn, Red Roof Inn, Quality Inn, another Hampton Inn, etc. The only one I've stayed at is the Hampton Inn, and I don't recommend it. I've stayed a couple times and it was poorly maintained, dirty, and overpriced considering the quality.

Hope that helps. Maybe tomorrow we'll tackle restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT