ADVERTISEMENT

How did you come up with your poster name?

shun1

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2003
My father use to greet people by saying, hey son. Well over time son got dragged into shun. This is the south. When I applied to become a member of this board, my wife of 40 years, THANK GOD, suggested being I am a Jr. to choose shun1.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fly was my sports nickname. I could really jump for my size back in the day but more than that was fast. One thing I regret is not running track in HS, though it coincided with other sports I played which were more enjoyable so I don't really regret it that much. I'm almost 40 now and it is pretty much just golf for me now.

My name speaks for itself. Started the journey from black to gray at ripe old age of 13.

No 12 was my favorite player at UNC while I was growing up. Started paying attention during Ford's freshman year and have been light blue ever since!

I was born a Tar Heel but once I reached an age of which I could actually comprehend and understand the game and what was going on, that was when Ed Cota was in his prime. He became my favorite player and who I sculpted not only my game around but also my life. Striving to put others first and setting people up for success. They may get all the glamour but I always have found a strange satisfaction in helping people reach their full potential, and I think that stems from EasyEd. Also named my pup Cota after him 3 years ago, however, I do see another pup named Paige joining the family very soon.

"Snoopy" was my wife's nickname for me when we first started dating. )Somehow I reminded her of the Peanuts character). 33 and 20 were the numbers I wore when I played basketball in high school (33) and in college (20).

My poster name is an obvious play on words, with a twist. I wasn't born in North Carolina -- moved here as a kid -- but I've noticed the way many native North Carolinians pronounce "Heel" and "Hell" is almost indistinguishable. So really, my name is meant to be a tribute to the folks of this great state. It signifies that UNC belongs to them/us, the citizens of North Carolina.

[Sadly, this fact is lost on all the North Carolinians who insist on rooting for that turd factory up 15-501. I have no beef with residents who choose to become Moo U fans (only pity), but pulling for that other school is tantamount to treason, as far as I'm concerned.]

I was simply "soap" on the old Tar Heel Recruits board back before it was bought out by this group and became Tar Heel Illustrated. Had to "sign up" again with THI in order to post. Here the name soap was already nabbed by some joker who never ever posted anywhere that I could tell, so that was out.

Hence, soap - new and improved. In retrospect wish I had chosen soap1, soaped, or something else shorter.

I chose soap on the THR board to disguise myself from some folks I knew from the Tar Heels United board that also posted on THR in order to play a joke on them. Then I just hung around. And found I kinda liked the handle "soap".

Sorry you asked yet, Shun?? :D

Reactions: UNC71-00
I was simply "soap" on the old Tar Heel Recruits board back before it was bought out by this group and became Tar Heel Illustrated. Had to "sign up" again with THI in order to post. Here the name soap was already nabbed by some joker who never ever posted anywhere that I could tell, so that was out.

Hence, soap - new and improved. In retrospect wish I had chosen soap1, soaped, or something else shorter.

I chose soap on the THR board to disguise myself from some folks I knew from the Tar Heels United board that also posted on THR in order to play a joke on them. Then I just hung around. And found I kinda liked the handle "soap".

Sorry you asked yet, Shun?? :D
No soap, I am not sorry I asked. I like doing this because it gives me more of a feel for the person behind the poster name.

Antawn Jamison was pretty much my favorite player growing up and Charlie Scott had happened to wear the same number. #3 is usually my number when playing sports, so doubling that up, combined with the aforementioned players all seemed to work. Not to mention that the number "3" is often a substitute for the letter "E" so there is a lot of symmetry here.

The Picts lived in what is now Scotland, its eastern side, from before the Roman conquest of the southern half of Britain until they were absorbed by the Scots - who had come over from Ireland to the western part of what is now Scotand, to create the Scottish nation. The Picts were largely matrilineal, and when the eldest daughter of the most powerful Pict king married the king of the largest group of Scots, their tribes were merged for all practical purposes.

Woad is the plant that the Picts used to make light blue war paint. The Romans were fascinated and horrified by woad painted Picts refusing to be conquered by the legions that had conquered the world. Hadrian built the wall to keep the Picts leading other tribes from the north to help the conquered Celtic tribes fight to free themselves from Roman rule.

The woad war paint went out of style, but it was revived (and we don't know if it had survived in small local communities or was rediscovered from books) by a few wild boys during the 14th century fight by Scots to free themselves from Anglo-Norman rule. It is used in the movie Braveheart.

The Picts lived in what is now Scotland, its eastern side, from before the Roman conquest of the southern half of Britain until they were absorbed by the Scots - who had come over from Ireland to the western part of what is now Scotand, to create the Scottish nation. The Picts were largely matrilineal, and when the eldest daughter of the most powerful Pict king married the king of the largest group of Scots, their tribes were merged for all practical purposes.

Woad is the plant that the Picts used to make light blue war paint. The Romans were fascinated and horrified by woad painted Picts refusing to be conquered by the legions that had conquered the world. Hadrian built the wall to keep the Picts leading other tribes from the north to help the conquered Celtic tribes fight to free themselves from Roman rule.

The woad war paint went out of style, but it was revived (and we don't know if it had survived in small local communities or was rediscovered from books) by a few wild boys during the 14th century fight by Scots to free themselves from Anglo-Norman rule. It is used in the movie Braveheart.
now that is detailed.

It is my E-bay name I needed a Nickname didn't take the time to come up with something so I just used the Spaceytoyz name...

I listened to my first game on the radio Dec 30, 1966
Listening to Bill Curry the Mouth of the South who painted such a vivid picture that I fell in love with the Heels, of course that continued in 71 and on as I listened to Woody Durham do the play by play.
This Curry 2 Woody R8O

Born in Chapel Hill in 71 and my degree from the same in 2000.

I was born a Tar Heel but once I reached an age of which I could actually comprehend and understand the game and what was going on, that was when Ed Cota was in his prime. He became my favorite player and who I sculpted not only my game around but also my life. Striving to put others first and setting people up for success. They may get all the glamour but I always have found a strange satisfaction in helping people reach their full potential, and I think that stems from EasyEd. Also named my pup Cota after him 3 years ago, however, I do see another pup named Paige joining the family very soon.
I love that. It's a noble thing when you make your life about setting others up for success.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel
Frat nickname at UNC was Thunder Thighs since I had very muscular legs. During a keg party, the nickname assigner got too blitzed to say it and shortened the name to T-Square.

oh yeah..played football with him and his brother!!

Damn that's funny. I know all 3 of those boys (you know they have an older brother, right?), but I am much closer in age to the oldest one, although the middle one I know pretty well too.

tumblr_mp79yi6hXn1sqdehgo1_500.gif
87991d1322850985-rams-football-info-ram_tarheels.gif

(I have the ram tattooed on my right shoulder)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT