ADVERTISEMENT

How Long til Silent Sam is Removed (one way or the other)?

Whoa, dude. All he said was that some white people share the sentiment. That's a ridiculous leap to suggest he was saying blacks can't have their own opinions on the subject.
It is and it isn't. But, it's a correlation that I have heard before. When i read/hear that "Oh, this is just white people writing it and it's not really how blacks feel", then I'm easily triggered. I KNOW black people who are bothered by these statues and remnants of the "Old South" and monuments that are, to them, glorifying the institutions of slavery. I know them personally. Anderson, SC has a Civil War soldiers monument near the city hall and they have said that it is nothing more than a constant reminder that it was "okay to keep blacks in chains and kept as property." They don't suffer from white guilt. They don't need a white-person op-ed to feel maligned by it.

Black kids growing up in Chicago don't give a shit about these statues. They're worried about bullets, and making sure they find something to eat for their next meal.

The students at UNC who protest about these statues are relatively privileged compared to most black folks. I'm not saying they don't have the right to be offended. But it kind of reminds me of western feminism. Women in this country will give a ten minute monologue on "micro-aggressions" on youtube, but will call you a racist if you mention women having acid thrown in their faces in Iran or Saudi Arabia. These students may have valid points about where and how we memorialize the worst of our history, but I think they're dropping the ball by using so much energy to fight a statue, when there are much bigger issues they could be taking on. Especially considering the resources they have access to as UNC students.

You're going to "believe we are already there" now, just like you believed it in 1986, when you were sure that no one was bothered by Soul Man. It didn't bother you then, and you liked rap music, too, so how could you, or anything you concluded from a racial standpoint, be considered racist? You were never inconvenienced by racial inequality, so the blacks, spurred-on by liberal whites, were then, and are now, just making something out of nothing.

That's fairly accurate.

And, that's... okay.

Oh, gosh. Thanks for validating my feelings. I was worried that you wouldn't approve.

That would help immensely. And, I've often wondered "Why aren't there more black people here?" No women, no black guys. Just white guys of varying ages.

Having black friends IRL helps immensely, too. It's made me change a lot of my views that I had in younger years. It gave me a different insight. And, it wasn't always what I expected.

Haha. Did you just use the ol' "I have black friends" thingy?

We need more black poasters on this board. I'm serious. A lot of this discussion is white people talking about what they perceive to be blacks' point of view but really there's a lot of guessing and assumptions being thrown around.

I agree wholeheartedly. I bet the liberal SJWs wouldn't like that though because what you'd find is that most black people don't care as much about these things as the liberal, white-guilt SJW does.

Reactions: Devenzio21
Black kids growing up in Chicago don't give a shit about these statues. They're worried about bullets, and making sure they find something to eat for their next meal.

The students at UNC who protest about these statues are relatively privileged compared to most black folks. I'm not saying they don't have the right to be offended. But it kind of reminds me of western feminism. Women in this country will give a ten minute monologue on "micro-aggressions" on youtube, but will call you a racist if you mention women having acid thrown in their faces in Iran or Saudi Arabia. These students may have valid points about where and how we memorialize the worst of our history, but I think they're dropping the ball by using so much energy to fight a statue, when there are much bigger issues they could be taking on. Especially considering the resources they have access to as UNC students.

Good poast.

Go and tell them this!

I'll vote for you.

Go tell them that!

I elect you to represent us with that statement. Maybe work on a few bits and pieces.

The "them" your referring to probably isn't the majority of black students at UNC. From what I've gathered, most of this protesting has been organized by a very radical history major (the one who threw the "blood") with the help of a few other liberal arts types.

Most of the black students at UNC don't need to hear any advice from me. They are obviously excellent students, who were driven enough to meet the very tough requirements for getting into UNC. Especially the out of state students.

The "them" your referring to probably isn't the majority of black students at UNC. From what I've gathered, most of this protesting has been organized by a very radical history major (the one who threw the "blood") with the help of a few other liberal arts types.

Most of the black students at UNC don't need to hear any advice from me. They are obviously excellent students, who were driven enough to meet the very tough requirements for getting into UNC. Especially the out of state students.
I was being somewhat facetious. That's a decent day's drive and you'd need a place to stay and a PR person and classy duds, maybe even a beard lady-friend. I keed!

Throwing blood, man. That's serious resolve, there!

Are there any buildings on campus that were constructed during the Civil War? Doubtful. Maybe a plaque at something like that and a picture or carving of the Silent Sam image in the plaque. Those students did die for a cause they believed in... it was just a really shitty cause. Maybe it doesn't deserve any monument. Maybe a list of the boys' names on a wall? Like they have in Gloucester, for the fishermen who die.

I was being somewhat facetious. That's a decent day's drive and you'd need a place to stay and a PR person and classy duds, maybe even a beard lady-friend. I keed!

Throwing blood, man. That's serious resolve, there!

I figured you were just being sarcastic. I just wanted to point out that I wasn't referring to the majority of black students at UNC. My cousin's husband just graduated from UNC law school. After the ceremony we met one of his black friends who is going to become a civil rights attorney. You know what he didn't have time to do for the last three years? Sleep. Much less go stand around a statue. He wishes the statue was in a museum, but he's a lot more worried about finding solutions to discriminatory policing in predominantly black neighborhoods where crime rates are off the charts. I think he's going to do a lot more good than an obnoxious history major that fancies herself a social critic.

But it doesn't accomplish anything unless her goal was to get arrested. That's what I don't understand about people who do divisive things in the name of their causes. It's not helpful at all.

Bad arguments only strengthen the opposition. Some people in this thread probably would have been fine with the statue being moved to a museum before some of the more ridiculous protests.

But it doesn't accomplish anything unless her goal was to get arrested. That's what I don't understand about people who do divisive things in the name of their causes. It's not helpful at all.
No, it's not helping anything. It's an act of violence and, I guess, frustration. I don't know the details about that person.

Bad arguments only strengthen the opposition. Some people in this thread probably would have been fine with the statue being moved to a museum before some of the more ridiculous protests.
But, without some kind of protest, it would have just remained where it is.

I never asked any black students during my short stay in Chapel Hill. I only saw the statue maybe twice. I was interested in getting drunk as often as possible. I would imagine your assessment of how the general feeling is, is accurate. Those kids have other priorities.

It's hard to say.

Here's a throwback:
michael-jordan-sam-perkins3-519x350.jpg

Great poast. I agree with all of it.

Reactions: uncboy10
And we get called racists? There is nothing wrong with that statue. It’s the times we live in where it’s become ok to destroy history because you don’t like it. K would tell the so called “protestors” or paid instigators, to F off and get a life. Your chancellor should stand up for your history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT