ADVERTISEMENT

Improvements you'd like to see made to the gameday experience

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
List things about the UNC Football gameday experience you don't like and provide solution(s) to said problem(s). Don't just say "the tailgating sucks." And I'm not talking wins and losses here; I'm talking purely about the fan experience before, during, and after the game.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Okay, I'll start ;)

The band -- it's lousy. Isn't loud enough, doesn't have enough brass in it, and plays extremely boring, outdated, bland songs.

My solutions, keeping in mind that I don't know music or acoustics well enough to recommend any technical improvements, so I'm just going based off what I know:

1). Stop this crap where they send a tiny section of the band (~10 people) to random sections across the stadium and play the fight song once. It's dumb in so many ways. First of all, it distracts people from actually watching the game (duh), and second of all, it dilutes a band that's already not loud enough.

2). Get better, meaner songs. Everything the band plays is soft, easy-listening, and care-free. This is a football game, not a night of the Carolina Shag down in Wilmington. Get mean. Some SEC bands used to play "Iron Man" a lot between plays or on a key defensive third down. That's pretty cool IMO. The Imperial March from Star Wars would work too (I think we've played the latter a few times, but they're so hard to hear, who knows). Play some heavier, louder-sounding stuff. "Carolina In My Mind" and "Sweet Caroline" have no place at a football game. Be creative, come up with new songs. What the band plays (fight song excluded) is one of the main reasons why the gameday experience feels very, very stale at Kenan.

The band.
  • Obviously needs more brass and really needs to be louder. Can the director if he is not up to the task. UGa and tOSU bands are the standard.
  • Right before 4th quarter, UGa plays Krypton's theme from Superman and it is great. It's loud, it builds and it get people hyped. Why not play Rage Against the Machine's "Bulls on Parade" the first 48 seconds is all you need to hype people up. And, you can use it throughout the game.
  • Zero Dark Thursday was a great team. Incorporate more stuff like that and have the band or audio person play AC/DC's Back in Black.
  • There are plenty of snap its from popular songs, shows, etc that they could play during the game and play loud to get fans excited.

As far as the band goes, I don't think its small size is by choice. There are only so many students with the requisite skills willing to dedicate themselves to participating, even if they do get credit for it. Some fan-to-band discussion on the topic might be interesting, though. I wonder if the band has a representative in the focus group that the athletics department organized a couple years ago. I agree that the material they play needs to be changed up. And I'd love it if we'd adopt a tough song to use as a staple.

Here's something I've mentioned before. Have the video boards display the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner and the Alma Mater. They're played once each, at the beginning and end of games respectively. It's a simple, simple suggestion that encourages participation, because it's amazing how many people don't know the words to one or both of them.

Reactions: Archer2
How about the team entrance? The smoke is good if unoriginal. The columns of fire they used for Zero Dark Thursday were pretty awesome, but I'm wondering if that's too expensive to do every game.

So now I'm going to pick on the band again...not really their fault though. The current entrance has the band playing a single note slowly, then faster and faster until the team runs out of the tunnel, at which point they break into "Here Comes Carolina." I love the song and its tradition, but that's a pretty ineffective way to get 60,000 fans* hyped up circa 2015 (*okay, so maybe 50,000). I think this goes back to some comments already made here.

As far as the band goes, I don't think its small size is by choice. There are only so many students with the requisite skills willing to dedicate themselves to participating, even if they do get credit for it. Some fan-to-band discussion on the topic might be interesting, though. I wonder if the band has a representative in the focus group that the athletics department organized a couple years ago. I agree that the material they play needs to be changed up. And I'd love it if we'd adopt a tough song to use as a staple.
Carolina gives out band scholarships correct? If so, then treat it like any other sport, recruit band members, especially if you're having trouble attracting talent that's already in-house, so to speak.

I do like your idea on having a band member on the council. Solid idea. But yeah, the material has got to change.

They need to make renovations to the seating in the stadium. Not gonna happen, but.... I know they widened the spacing of the seats a few years ago, but it's still not enough. When the seats are actually full, half the people on your row are sitting with their torsos twisted because you can't even sit shoulder-to-shoulder. And if you're reasonably tall (6' or taller), your legs will be wedged into the back of the seats in front of you.

I'm willing to forgive that part since modifications between the rows is limited by the concrete that's already poured. But adding individual seats with seatbacks to ensure room between seats on the same row would be amazing. It might remove a few thousand seats from the stadium, but most of those aren't getting filled anyway. The added bonus would be no more glare coming off the metal bleachers.

So now I'm going to pick on the band again...not really their fault though. The current entrance has the band playing a single note slowly, then faster and faster until the team runs out of the tunnel, at which point they break into "Here Comes Carolina." I love the song and its tradition, but that's a pretty ineffective way to get 60,000 fans* hyped up circa 2015 (*okay, so maybe 50,000). I think this goes back to some comments already made here.
Doesn't work in basketball either. It ("it" = playing the same note over and over before "Here Comes Carolina") is boring and lame. Now if they played something dark and heavy and THEN ended it and broke into Here Comes Carolina as the team runs out, now we'd be talking.

Concession prices are ludicrous, but not any worse than any other sporting venue or any other family event. Still, it'd be nice if they'd create some package deals. I know they ran a promo recently where a family of four could get a ticket, a hot dog, and drink each for $X or something like that.

That's great for getting people into the stadium, but it doesn't do squat for people who already have tickets like season ticket holders. I think there was a deal recently where a chicken sandwich (for example) was a dollar cheaper up until 30 minutes before game time. I like that, since it encourages people to get there early. So maybe more offers like that.

Or how about a frequent shopper card (buy 9 over-priced waters, get a 10th free)?

I think the concession prices are actually a deterrent for a lot of families and individuals. The line of thinking goes like this: Sure, I can buy a ticket outside the stadium for $20. But I'll have to pay $10 for parking, $4 for peanuts, $6 for a Coke, and $8 for a slice of room temperature pizza. So suddenly that $20 football game is going to cost me $50. Just not worth it.

First, let me just put it out there that I don't buy concessions at Kenan, save for possibly a coke. Ain't nobody got time to wait in those horrendous lines for overpriced food while missing half of the 2nd Quarter. That being said....

Or how about a frequent shopper card (buy 9 over-priced waters, get a 10th free)?
That type of transaction is only going to make lines move slower. Now you're adding in the process of showing a punch-card (or one that scans) on top of the normal transaction. I wouldn't be in favor of this. And about the water, they allow you to bring bottles of water into Kenan, noob ;)

I think the concession prices are actually a deterrent for a lot of families and individuals. The line of thinking goes like this: Sure, I can buy a ticket outside the stadium for $20. But I'll have to pay $10 for parking, $4 for peanuts, $6 for a Coke, and $8 for a slice of room temperature pizza. So suddenly that $20 football game is going to cost me $50. Just not worth it.
I understand this line of thinking, but you just have to realize it's part of the equation. Or, you can try your best to do your food consumption before the game and after the game (but yes I realize children get bored and need food during a game).

How about the team entrance? The smoke is good if unoriginal. The columns of fire they used for Zero Dark Thursday were pretty awesome, but I'm wondering if that's too expensive to do every game.

For team entrance, I would play Thin Lizzy's 'The Boys Are Back in Town.' That song just flat out makes you think about the possibility of a fun bar fight.

For team entrance, I would play Thin Lizzy's 'The Boys Are Back in Town.' That song just flat out makes you think about the possibility of a fun bar fight.
Nope, it makes me think of Wrangler jeans commercials, and then just old people in general.

Songs that were "rockin' " and "kick ass" back in the day don't sound nearly as heavy/awesome/cool to younger ears. Just saying :)

Nope, it makes me think of Wrangler jeans commercials, and then just old people in general.
That made me laugh.

Yeah, I like the song but it's a shuffle. It needs to be something with a more driving beat. And of course it has to be something that's recognizable and relatable for young and old alike. No idea what that might be though.

The entrance song should be Metallicas For Whom the Bell Tolls. But may be to fast for the video board when it speeds up. So I always thought For Those Abot to Rock We Salute You would be great. And at the point when the drums are almost all that's playing before the sing yells his first words. Have the fireworks go off above the stadium to each beat. And since we are not a real load crowd. I always thought that everyone should have a Pom Pom on their seat and shake it forward to the bass drum. It also would look neat on TV. As far as the band. Give them a few speakers that would help there sound travel. And the new Tar Heel town. More and better food options. If you want people to hang out there you have to make it appealing. If possible sell beer in a blocked off area? Like the grass area. And kind of use the sidewalks as a guide to put up the fencing and can only drink there. Put out some UNC corn hole boards ect ect. Make it a big ole Tailgate. People do want to get together and party a little and mingle. Plus the school can make some money from selling the beer. Put a TV tent for people to be able to watch the other games or if a noon game you can watch a Pre game show. You know the school is aloud to sell beer because they do in the Blue Zone. If your worried about drunks. Have a wrist band that every time you buy one they mark out a beer pic on you band and have a three beer limit. I can go on forever. Sorry for the rambling!!!!!

Paragraphs, Bobby, paragraphs. ;)

The title of the Metallica song works well with the Bell Tower. The pace of the song might be too slow to get people amped up, though.

The pom poms (or something similar, like the Steelers' terrible towel) is a great idea. Sure, it would cost a little more, but like you said it would look great on TV and it's another way of getting fans involved in the game.

Not sure if the band is allowed to use amplifiers. I think there might actually be an NCAA rule against it but not sure. Anybody know? If not, heck yeah. Set up a bank of microphones in front of the band section and let 'er rip.

You're exactly right about Tar Heel Town. It's a great idea, but they need more food options (despite the limited space) to make it more appealing. I love the idea of corn hole or other games as well, even if there's limited space for it.

And of course the beer. You know darn well UNC will be one of the last colleges to give in to that trend. But I bet people would show up earlier, in greater numbers, if they could buy beer at THT before the game and at concession stands during the game. Not holding my breath though.

Agree with everyone about music and band at Kenan. What about AC/DC's "Spoilin For A Fight" for an entrance song for the team? Football is a contact sport. What a perfect song imo.

Songs that were "rockin' " and "kick ass" back in the day don't sound nearly as heavy/awesome/cool to younger ears. Just saying :)

Wrangler jeans should make you think of Breet Favre, who should make you think of winning football.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Paragraphs, Bobby, paragraphs. ;)

The title of the Metallica song works well with the Bell Tower. The pace of the song might be too slow to get people amped up, though.

The pom poms (or something similar, like the Steelers' terrible towel) is a great idea. Sure, it would cost a little more, but like you said it would look great on TV and it's another way of getting fans involved in the game.

Not sure if the band is allowed to use amplifiers. I think there might actually be an NCAA rule against it but not sure. Anybody know? If not, heck yeah. Set up a bank of microphones in front of the band section and let 'er rip.

You're exactly right about Tar Heel Town. It's a great idea, but they need more food options (despite the limited space) to make it more appealing. I love the idea of corn hole or other games as well, even if there's limited space for it.

And of course the beer. You know darn well UNC will be one of the last colleges to give in to that trend. But I bet people would show up earlier, in greater numbers, if they could buy beer at THT before the game and at concession stands during the game. Not holding my breath though.

The beer thing at UNC is not about opposoition to any drinking, but is, I think primarily about class. Beer drinking is seen as lower middle class and working class.

So my stategy to get beer sales in Kenan would be to start drives to have wine sold in Kenan.

The beer thing at UNC is not about opposoition to any drinking, but is, I think primarily about class. Beer drinking is seen as lower middle class and working class.

So my stategy to get beer sales in Kenan would be to start drives to have wine sold in Kenan.
The saddest part about this post is I can't tell whether you're joking. Either way, you're right.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Not a bad idea at all on the wine. Would probably go over much better than beer sales, especially with the typical game-attending crowd at basketball games. Football, maybe not as much, but would still go over well. On a side note, drinking wine during a hot (or cold) football game sounds absolutely terrible to me lol.

The entrance song should be Metallicas For Whom the Bell Tolls. . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . .I always thought that everyone should have a Pom Pom on their seat. . . . . .
First, the pom poms. A thousand times YES!!! I've been saying this as well. They already spend the money to put them in the student section for every game, just put on your big boy pants and put them out for the whole stadium, minus the away section. Look....we all know the score here. We love Carolina but we also all know what the typical Carolina fan is like. We are not a predominantly blue collar fanbase like Nebraska or Oklahoma or LSU or Florida. Those fanbases get loud and don't need any help doing it. By and large, the Carolina fanbase needs a nudge to get into the game. We need a "call to action," whether it be the band playing, the team doing well, or a prop....like a pom pom.

Put pom poms out for one whole season, maybe two, and it will start to catch on. People will start saving their pom poms and will know to bring them to games. I mean, there's nothing easier than waving a flippin' pom pom. Watch an Auburn or UGA game. Their student sections (which are bigger than ours) and a lot of their regular sections all wave pom poms in time to rhythm of the fight song and after big plays, and it looks cool as hell on TV. This fanbase it what it is. It needs assistance in participation. Pom poms is a great idea.

As for For Whom the Bell Tolls, I'd love it as our running-out-of-the-tunnel song, but like y'all said, it might not be fast enough. Plus, not sure your typical 18-22 year old college football player is going to get hyped up by Metallica.....unless it becomes an established thing like at Virginia Tech. You just gotta pick something and roll with it til it sticks, like 21st Century Space Odyssey or whatever it's called, at SCar. Just pick something like that with a dramatic buildup and run with it.

You know how I spend most of the TV timeouts at Kenan? Staring at the little guy dressed in red, standing about 30 feet out onto the field at the 25-yard line. Why? Because he's the one with the headset to the production truck, so he tells the officials when television is ready to begin play again. BORING.

They need more activities during timeouts, except if it's a late-game situation where they should be firing up the crowd to keep them in the game. Otherwise there should be something going on during every timeout.

I like the military appreciation announcements. Always good. There should be more contests like kids racing on the sidelines or something. And more giveaways. Last year Diamonds Direct sponsored a contest where two engaged couples competed for a $10k gift certificate. That was fierce. There was also a girl who attempted to kick field goals from progressively farther away. You can't tell me it's hard to find sponsors for that kind of stuff.

Oh, and the greatest giveaway of all is free T-shirts. People lose their minds for free T-shirts. Get some of those T-shirt guns. Better yet, get 3 or 4 of those T-shirt cannons and drive them around the stadium shooting shirts into the crowd. And not just shirts. Maybe other cool things, like UNC footballs. Or Chick-fil-A sandwiches. Or puppies. Everyone loves soft, fuzzy puppies.

Reactions: dooksux
You know I'll probably take some heat for this one, but I absolutely love that Eminem song "Lose Yourself." I know it may be better suited for basketball but I always thought the beginning if that song would be great intro music. That part where he is talking about your one moment and seizing that opportunity and then the chorus busts open and the song gets all jumpy. Man, makes me want to run the hell out of something and bust open whatever is in my way.

Ok yes the Metallica song does start out slow. But it does speed up. But u can't speed it up to like death metal. To fast for the video board. As far as the beer. That's why I said have a limit of 3. I've been to places where they have wrist bands that has beer bottles on them. And the beer sellers would mark one off every beer you get. But selling wine would be great also. Along with the beer sells.

Okay, I'll start ;)

The band -- it's lousy. Isn't loud enough, doesn't have enough brass in it, and plays extremely boring, outdated, bland songs.

My solutions, keeping in mind that I don't know music or acoustics well enough to recommend any technical improvements, so I'm just going based off what I know:

1). Stop this crap where they send a tiny section of the band (~10 people) to random sections across the stadium and play the fight song once. It's dumb in so many ways. First of all, it distracts people from actually watching the game (duh), and second of all, it dilutes a band that's already not loud enough.

2). Get better, meaner songs. Everything the band plays is soft, easy-listening, and care-free. This is a football game, not a night of the Carolina Shag down in Wilmington. Get mean. Some SEC bands used to play "Iron Man" a lot between plays or on a key defensive third down. That's pretty cool IMO. The Imperial March from Star Wars would work too (I think we've played the latter a few times, but they're so hard to hear, who knows). Play some heavier, louder-sounding stuff. "Carolina In My Mind" and "Sweet Caroline" have no place at a football game. Be creative, come up with new songs. What the band plays (fight song excluded) is one of the main reasons why the gameday experience feels very, very stale at Kenan.
Carolina Shag ain't easy listening most of it's hard core old time R&B.

Wine are you serious?? Haven't you heard enough G.D. wine and cheese jokes?????????? I can see it now everybody swishing around their wine and sniffing the bouquet like a bunch of ____________. fill in the blank.

Doesn't work in basketball either. It ("it" = playing the same note over and over before "Here Comes Carolina") is boring and lame. Now if they played something dark and heavy and THEN ended it and broke into Here Comes Carolina as the team runs out, now we'd be talking.
"Here Comes Carolina" boring and lame?? Well it still gives me chills. Maybe you need a new team.

• "Turn Down for What" would make a great entrance song.
  • I haven't been to a game in years since moving to Indy; so, I don't know if this is possible. With the food truck craze, why haven't Carolina reached out to some of the most popular Triangle food trucks and have them lined up for service either by Carolina beach or in front of Woolen Gym? Incorporate it into Carolina Town.

Doesn't work in basketball either. It ("it" = playing the same note over and over BEFORE "Here Comes Carolina") is boring and lame. Now if they played something dark and heavy and THEN ended it and broke into Here Comes Carolina as the team runs out, now we'd be talking.

"Here Comes Carolina" boring and lame?? Well it still gives me chills. Maybe you need a new team.
Reading comprehension is your friend.

I think he meant that playing the same note over and over was the boring/lame part.
10-4. If I had actually called Here Comes Carolina lame, you'd have every right to verbally flog me.

To reiterate, what I'm specifically referring to is when the band swivels back and forth and just blares the same note "WAH. WAH. WAH. WAH. WAH. WAH." and it slowly speeds up and finally (mercifully) crescendos into Here Comes Carolina. The playing of the same note over and over is boring, dull, lame, etc.

• "Turn Down for What" would make a great entrance song.
  • I haven't been to a game in years since moving to Indy; so, I don't know if this is possible. With the food truck craze, why haven't Carolina reached out to some of the most popular Triangle food trucks and have them lined up for service either by Carolina beach or in front of Woolen Gym? Incorporate it into Carolina Town.
There are food trucks but adding more is a good idea and maybe in different locations..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT