ADVERTISEMENT

Improvements you'd like to see made to the gameday experience

Or like I said before. Allow alcohol to be sold in Tar Heel town. With a limit of number of drinks. Better food vendors. Fun games as far as corn hole ect. To make the Gameday experience more festive. Have activities going on all around the stadium. Bringing the fanbase together making it like one giant family. For example. Here a Carolina. If you walk by a fellow Tar Heels and say Go Heels!!!! I bet you the won't say anything back 90%,of the time. But I remember one year bringing Hokie fan with to one of our home games. And they would all greet each other as the walked by saying GoHokies and the other would answer back the same way. Yes Winning would help. But our shit don't stink attitude many Heels Fans have act like they are to good to do something like that. Think about it. GO HEELS!!!!!

Other than the lack of available parking spaces in which to tailgate, I have no problem with any aspect of the game day experience. I'm good with the band, I think concession costs are in line with any other sports venue and so on.

One thing that makes Kenan look so lame these days is the Blue Zone. That place is at best a third full, because everyone is inside at the bar having a beer and watching it on TV. I also agree with Jimmy- the biggest issue with crowd excitement comes from a defense that has been flat out pathetic. Furthermore, I get even more embarrassed when one of our CBs (Tim Scott) starts dancing around after making a routine play while being part of a defense that is giving up 50. It flat out disgusts me and quickly gets me to a point that I would rather not even come over to watch a game- at least at home I can change the channel.

Reactions: Raising Heel
With all due respect I would have to contest that most fans nowadays respond to offense more than defense.

It would be cool if they stopped sucking though.

I live in Clempsun and gotta say the tailgating completely changes the atmosphere. As opposed to the students in Chapel Hill, my friends that are Clempsun fans usually wake up at 8 or 9 am and head to campus to start pre-gaming and having a good time. By the time game time rolls around everyone is chomping at the bit and they get LOUD. I've crushed two or three beers right outside the stadium before walking in without being hassled at all.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't write his own songs. Or doesn't write most of them.

Swing and a miss. Try again. Ever heard of Florida Georgia Line's "Cruise" ? Yeah, Rice co-wrote that. He also finished second in Survivor. He also turned down a full-time job in NASCAR to focus on song-writing and music-making.

Don't understand how anyone can say anything bad about Chase Rice. That dude is one of those larger-than-life people who's just better at everything than you are. I love that he's a Tar Heel. LOVE it. Do I love new wave pop country? Not most of it, but hey it's better than listening to the Greatful Dead o_O:p

Ok, I don't know for sure if he writes all of his own songs or not, but whatever, it doesn't bother me with country musicians. Since the very beginning of country music, 99% of notable performers have begged, borrowed, and stole their songs. No one writes their own stuff; it's just how that genre of music evolved.

Intro to Country Music was easily the coolest class I took at UNC. I hated country going into it, and the class was interesting as hell and really opened my eyes (ears?) to great music, both old and new.

Anyway.......I think the Chase Rice thing is a great idea. Won't happen, but it's a cool idea.

Did you seriously just say new wave country is better than The Grateful Dead?....

Also, for the record (pun intended) on Rice's last record, he isn't the solely credited songwriter on even one song.

Last edited:
Ok, so I didn't know one single Chase Rice song before doing a quick youtube search. I love RH's idea. I mean, yeah, the guy played for us so it only makes sense to have him as "our guy".

Granted, I don't really like his kind of music. But I did find this one song that with a bit of remixing or something could probably be a good entrance song - especially if Chase agreed to come sing it live for a big game or two in the first season we used it.

I could definitely hear this being played loud through the PA system. It's decent.

Ok, so I didn't know one single Chase Rice song before doing a quick youtube search. I love RH's idea. I mean, yeah, the guy played for us so it only makes sense to have him as "our guy".

Granted, I don't really like his kind of music. But I did find this one song that with a bit of remixing or something could probably be a good entrance song - especially if Chase agreed to come sing it live for a big game or two in the first season we used it.

I could definitely hear this being played loud through the PA system. It's decent.

I hate that song more than you hate black uniforms.

Also, for the record (pun intended) on Rice's last record, he isn't the solely credited songwriter on even one song.
Duly noted and I admit defeat on this one. But see my point above about country music. It's not like CR is the only one.

Did you seriously just say new wave country is better than The Grateful Dead?....
You need to come over to Out Of The Blue occasionally. My hatred of classic rock is well documented over there ;)

No offense whatsoever uncboy10 because we are message board bros lol, but I've never understood people my age who are obsessed with classic rock and basically hate everything that was made during their own lifetime. I mean, I get how a 45-year-old would love classic rock and hate new music, but I don't see how people in their 20's are like this.

I like some older music don't get me wrong, especially old country like Hank Sr., David Allen Coe, outlaw country, etc., but dang I'd rather listen to white noise for an hour than listen to certain classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I hate that song more than you hate black uniforms.

Haha. Again, not my cup of tea either. But I was just trying to find a Chase Rice song that worked. That was as good as I could do...which is speaking to this problem.

How does one hate classic rock? That's absurd and downright unamerican. I'm thinking I need to shoot someone in the face.

All I can tell you is LZ's "Kashmir" makes my ears bleed, AC/DC's "Back in Black" is overplayed as crap and their singer's voice is super annoying, my vision of Hell is being forced to listen to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" on repeat.....I can go on.

Rock bands from before 1990 that I actually like:

- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- CCR
- Steppenwolf

That's about it...

I was raised never to question the preferences (be it food, music choice, etc) of your guest. I will grin and bear it. Can't say I'll be happy about it though :confused:
No worries. I'm not a sadist. Although maybe I'll teach an impromptu "Introduction to Classic Rock" class in my car.

This thread has gone off-topic. Will start a new one for @TarHeelNation11 on OOTB... @uncboy10 you really should join us over there.

Moving on from music/intro songs and getting back to the thread,

I'm going to take some heat from this one, but I'd like to see some choreographing efforts from the band / video boards / PA system to get people chanting. Yes, it should happen organically, but as has been mentioned, our fanbase needs a push to make noise. It's just how it is. The "Tarrrr" "Heeeeels" chant sounds cool when done right, but it's almost never choreographed well. I don't know how you fix that, but it would be nice to get it right. It's not that hard, if you're on one side, you said one word, if you're on the other side you say the other word.

And please, please can we find a way to get people to at least CLAP to the fight song?? I do not understand this. I've already given up on people singing it, but people don't even clap to the beat. Go sit in Bobby Dodd or Doak Campbell or Carter-Finley or Sanford or anywhere else. People clap/sing the fight song. It's a crazy concept I know......

Just baffles me how I can sit around people I know for a fact are alumni, and they act as if the fight songs are some alien space music they've never heard.

The "Tarrrr" "Heeeeels" chant sounds cool when done right, but it's almost never choreographed well.
The cheerleaders need to do this -- they have placards specifically for it -- but they don't do it often enough. I've had guys in my section stand up and start this cheer, which is a sad sign of the state of things.

And please, please can we find a way to get people to at least CLAP to the fight song??
Oh, they'll clap. Golf clap, maybe. It's been said already in this thread...put the lyrics to the national anthem, alma mater, and fight song on the video boards. There should be a little dude in the press box who only has to push a button when he hears the band begin to play the fight song.

The problem with the Tar Heels chant the last to years is they try to do it to fast. Instead ofTttttttaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr Hhhhhheeeeeeeeeeellllllllllsssssss. It has been Tar Heels so damn fast no drown out chant and really no pause in between. I'm sure the ones that go to the games know what I'm talking about. But like my first post. The perfect entrance song for this University is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica.

if we win the game the song can be tiptoe thru the tulips for all i care. and the band can suk, and the food can suk, and the etc etc can suk. great game day experience = winning, period. i'm not giving up weekends and paying a big wad of cash and driving six hours for food or music or anything except WINNING FOOTBALL!

Reactions: mahncpa1
Reading through the posts and had a few random thoughts. Back in the 70's and 80's, I was in my teens and twentys and I went to a lot of UNC Football games. If memory serves, there was a "mike man" that kept the home side charged up with comments, calls for cheers, etc. Could be a nice touch to bring back. Before you judge Chase Rice, listen to and read the lyrics of "Carolina Can". I love all kinds of music, including country, but most Carolina boys will be able to relate to this song. Eminem's "lose yourself" gets me and my kids excited when it is played at a sporting event. Basketball has kind of embraced "Jump around" for all home games, why not football.
Lastly, as has been stated, winning improves the game day experience tremendously. I was at the VT game last season and was having a great day until the game started. Our guys gave no effort and lost to a crappy team. When Mack Brown started winning, Kenan Stadium was electric and it had nothing to do with the band, pom poms, tailgates, etc.

Wine are you serious?? Haven't you heard enough G.D. wine and cheese jokes?????????? I can see it now everybody swishing around their wine and sniffing the bouquet like a bunch of ____________. fill in the blank.

Have a section for as wine tasting. Direct e ertybody who had to stop st btyhe dry cleaners to pick up their games day attire to that section. Let them dip wine and complain about how hard it is to find household help so I dfobt have to hear them during the game.

Have a section for as wine tasting. Direct e ertybody who had to stop st btyhe dry cleaners to pick up their games day attire to that section. Let them dip wine and complain about how hard it is to find household help so I dfobt have to hear them during the game.
841b50e9cf1816065a703d765213234fcfbca8664d95eb6487dc57555903d6da.jpg

Reactions: TarHeelNation11

this reminds me of one of my worst experiences ever in kenan. i was sitting behind two women who had no interest whatsoever in football and spent the entire game chatting about the various goings on in their lives. they talked at normal volume but your head is only a few feet behind the people in front of you so i had to hear every word except when the crowd got loud. i guess that's the answer -- if the cheering is constantly loud people who aren't there for football will go outside the stadium to chat.

Normally I am not a fan of auto-correct, but you might want to consider turning it on before your next post.

1) Beer at Kenan will never happen as the stadium is on campus. If it was off campus we would have a shot at alcohol sales but for some reason that I can't recall, there is a ban on selling on campus.
2) Band- when I was a student there were not scholarships. Most if not all of the band folks were music majors. I wanted to continue in the band as I loved my HS band experience a lot. After I learned of the time commitment I changed my mind. It is a HUGE commitment (over 20 - 30 hrs a week IIRC)
3) Man I would love Pom Poms in the seats that would be great for the TV and get the folks pepped up more
4) The $100 family packs (4 tickets and $20 food voucher and $10 gear voucher) was a great deal. I will do it again this season if offered. It penalizes people who buy tickets early and since getting tickets is not hard, I will wait for the promos. I wish they offered those packages earlier in the year.
5) Food and parking prices are crazy high. A FB game for my family of 3 runs $400-500 - food, hotel, gas, tickets. And I usually stay outside of CH to get better hotel rates...we don't fine dine either. Just grab something in the stadium and Bojangles on the road. I would go to more games if I was closer but at 4.5 hrs drive each way, its expensive to head to the Hill.

winning + bad food/ lousy band/boring halftime show/etc = great game day experience.

losing + good food/excellent band/good halftime show/etc = bad game day experience.

winning + bad food/ lousy band/boring halftime show/etc = great game day experience.

losing + good food/excellent band/good halftime show/etc = bad game day experience.
Maybe for diehard fans like us, but not for casual fans. And that's who you're trying to win over and convince to attend games.

Plus, atmosphere impacts recruiting, whether you want to admit that or not. Kenan's can be better and needs to be better.

With all due respect, can we please stop with the "winning makes game day better" bit? The thread is obviously about the things that the athletics department has control over, and nobody disagrees that winning matters.
Thank you.

I think the pom poms thing is the most productive recommendation to come from this thread. Zero reason the athletic department couldn't do this. Hell, they already get the darn things made for the student section. Go the extra mile. Would look great on TV. Plus, like I said, it would soon "become a thing" and people would hold on to theirs and bring them to games, making it less necessary to produce 63,000 every game.

I mean, we have a fanbase that you have to nudge to get them to do anything. We have to give out free Carolina blue t-shirts just to get more than 60% of attending fans to wear our dang color for crying out loud :(

free sh t for fans that show up early...i'd be ecstatic if girls got naked, but...

how about not worry so much about uniform promotion(i hate the uniforms) but more about fan experience?...the first 15,000 get a tee shirt, first 20,000 some pom poms.

Reactions: bobby121567
I would also like to add... give us night games in August and most of September. It is too stinking hot to sit through a football game that time of year..
Agree but we had a couple last year. Only winning will give us more night games since that's completely TV dictated (unless you play an awful opponent like NC A&T, then you can have a night game because only ESPN3 picks it up).

I've been thinking about this thread and I really think the band is the main culprit of our atmosphere problems. The band isn't loud, crisp, or exciting, so why would your average fan want to join in on cheers? Crank it up and really boom the fight songs and people will be more likely to participate.

A pipe dream I have -- though it will never happen -- is eliminate Stadium Drive as a permit parking 'lot' and make Stadium Drive a tailgate spot. You could purchase a spot (use the parking space numbers) and setup your tailgate there. How cool would it be to see Stadium lined with Carolina blue tents, tables, grills, and fans for as far as the eye can see? I know the uber rich RC members get Stadium Drive passes, but to be honest with you I don't see why the heck you'd want to park there. With fans streaming out of the stadium, it's gotta be hard to get out of your parking spot, and to South Road or Ridge Road anyway.

I would also like to add... give us night games in August and most of September. It is too stinking hot to sit through a football game that time of year..
UNC has no control over that. Like THN said, start times are dictated by the media rights holders (ESPN, Raycom, etc.). Even with night games against Liberty and SDSU last year, it was still really hot and muggy in Kenan. We need better cooperation from Mother Nature!

A pipe dream I have -- though it will never happen -- is eliminate Stadium Drive as a permit parking 'lot' and make Stadium Drive a tailgate spot. You could purchase a spot (use the parking space numbers) and setup your tailgate there.
How would anyone tailgate there without being able to park there? Are you suggesting something like other schools do, where you have golf carts transport you and your gear to your spot?

UNC has no control over that. Like THN said, start times are dictated by the media rights holders (ESPN, Raycom, etc.). Even with night games against Liberty and SDSU last year, it was still really hot and muggy in Kenan. We need better cooperation from Mother Nature!

How would anyone tailgate there without being able to park there? Are you suggesting something like other schools do, where you have golf carts transport you and your gear to your spot?
I'm not even gonna deem the golf cart thing as a possibility because that would require the university employing people to assist on football gamedays, and we just know that ain't happening lol.

There could be a drop-off zone perhaps? I don't know, I'm a big picture guy, not a details guy haha. It sounds good in my head to have all that tailgating on Stadium, but I don't know how you'd work out the logistics of it. One of the pitfalls of having an on-campus stadium and a tight street like Stadium Drive.

Stadium would still only be available to RC members most likely, so perhaps you could still park in Bowles and walk stuff there? Coolers have wheels. The University/Rams Club could make carts available for transport?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT