ADVERTISEMENT

Insomnia or ???

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
not sure if it old age(43), health, disease, or insomnia...how the ef am i awake until midnight, yet still rise when the sun comes up?...i recall just five years ago that i needed solid sleep, like 8 hours...i exercise more now and have more responsibilities, so my time is even more minimized.

kids don't bother us most mornings and i work from home...hell, sometimes i'll drink a little more than usual and it still doesn't wake me up sooner or later.

Last edited:
Don't ask me. I'm like half your age and only get like 6 hours of sleep a night. Even if I stay up til like 3 a.m. on a weekend, my body won't let me past ~9 a.m.

Reactions: gteeitup
In other words, here's my portrait:

6a00d8341c5e0053ef0147e1c60484970b-800wi.jpg

Were you sleeping until the sun rose in the winter also? I've found that if I don't use an alarm, I tend to wake up when the sun is at a certain point. In the winter, that point is later in the morning, of course.

Don't get me started. I have problems waking up at night too. And mine are even worse because I'm waking up because I have to piss. And then I can't get back to sleep sometimes. I feel like my dad...who's 77 years old.

I get in bed every night around 11:30. Sometimes I look at my phone for 20 minutes or so. And then I'm up most mornings around 6:45. I've tried the drinking thing too just to see if I can sleep through the night or get to sleep a little easier but all that does is get me up to piss more.

My next attempt to get better sleep is going to be eating dinner at 4:30 pm...at a cafeteria...and then come home and watch reruns of the Lawrence Welk Show.

I usually get a solid 5-6 hours of sleep. Depends on the work load for the day. No caffeine so falling asleep is a non issue. Up around 5ish every morning. Weekends included. I will be having a sleep study done soon. Past 2 years I seem to have fatigue problems that developed around 40. Plus I'm about 25lbs overweight so that doesn't help either

^ 5-6 hours and NO caffeine???

Geez. I drink caffeine like it's water. My days generally pass in this fashion:

- wake up and feel fairly awake for the first hour or two I'm up
- spend from about 9:30 - 5:30 begging my body to stay awake while I'm at work
- after spending all day sleepy as hell, I suddenly get a second wind around 8:30 at night and I'm suddenly now wide awake
- spend too much time awake late at night doing nothing productive and finally force myself to put the phone / tv remote / book / video game down at ~ 11:45, ensuring I won't get anywhere North of 7 hours of sleep that night.

And repeat.

what's up with these "2nd winds" we seem to be getting?

i'm exhausted about 7:30pm every weeknight and then by 9pm i'm wired...am i the only person that also can't sleep unless i'm in a bed?...i know people that can doze off in chairs leaned back, on couches, in cars, planes, etc.

maybe i'll experiment some the rest of the week...

what's up with these "2nd winds" we seem to be getting?

i'm exhausted about 7:30pm every weeknight and then by 9pm i'm wired...am i the only person that also can't sleep unless i'm in a bed?...i know people that can doze off in chairs leaned back, on couches, in cars, planes, etc.

maybe i'll experiment some the rest of the week...

It's not hard to figure out why I get a second wind. Mine usually comes about 10 minutes after I finally get my kids to bed. In the summer, that sometimes doesn't happen until after 10:00 pm. What good is a second wind then?

And yes, gteeitup, I am like you. I cannot sleep anywhere except a bed...except for under my desk around 2:00 pm.

Ditto to all of the above. I can no longer force myself to sleep past 7 am, so the only thing I can do is (try to) make myself go to bed earlier. Add to that the occasional nocturnal pee trip and the knotted muscle pain I've developed in the middle of my back and wheeeeeeeee!!!

Come, let me sing you the song of my people:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT