ADVERTISEMENT

InTheAna

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
I get the feeling that Governor Pence and the state's legislation didn't expect the backlash it is now receiving.

Now they're gonna write a law that clarifies another law.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BillyL:

laugh.r191677.gif
They're morons if they didn't expect the backlash. You take on a racial issue or a sexual lifestyle issue and not expect backlash, you're not worthy of being an elected official.

But I am curious to see how this pans out. I haven't read the law, but I've heard plenty about it and if you use a little common sense, I think the law is fine. But this is a political strategy move - trying to appease those on both sides.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Originally posted by BillyL:

laugh.r191677.gif
They're morons if they didn't expect the backlash. You take on a racial issue or a sexual lifestyle issue and not expect backlash, you're not worthy of being an elected official.

But I am curious to see how this pans out. I haven't read the law, but I've heard plenty about it and if you use a little common sense, I think the law is fine. But this is a political strategy move - trying to appease those on both sides.
Yeah, I am curious about the motivation of coming down hard on Indiana. Why did this particular instance raise the hackles of the ACLU and company? There are other similar laws in place and heck, Clinton even signed one in 1993. Why all the hullabaloo over Indiana in particular?

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Yeah, I am curious about the motivation of coming down hard on Indiana. Why did this particular instance raise the hackles of the ACLU and company? There are other similar laws in place and heck, Clinton even signed one in 1993. Why all the hullabaloo over Indiana in particular?
It's because Indiana's law is pretty clearly aimed at justifying disparate treatment of gays. Most other states that have these laws also have laws that classify homosexuals as a protected class, prohibiting any discrimination against them. But Indiana shows no intention of doing that. And the federal law that Clinton signed was intended to allow native tribes to use peyote in religious rituals. Gay rights was not even a blip on anyone's radar in 1993.

Under this law, it's legal for Christians to refuse service to gays but illegal for gays to refuse service to Christians. Doesn't seem right.

Originally posted by Heels in Space:

Under this law, it's legal for Christians to refuse service to gays but illegal for gays to refuse service to Christians. Doesn't seem right.
Where do gay Christians fit in, in this example?

Originally posted by prlyles:
laugh.r191677.gif
Well, I suppose they can refuse service to other gays based on their religious beliefs (though that would be mighty odd), but they can't refuse service to Christians for any reason.

How are businesses supposed to know who is gay and who isn't? Do some of the bill's sponsors feel that if you take money from gay and lesbian customers it will taint the rest of the money in the till?

How about not selling to someone who has been in trouble with the law? Or someone who has different religious beliefs? It all just seems stupid to me.

Originally posted by T-Square:
How are businesses supposed to know who is gay and who isn't?
Good question. And here is my most honest answer.

Many gay people don't just want equal rights. They want you to be ok with them being gay. Just having the same rights isn't enough. The LGBT movement wants you to change your beliefs. And so, they often feel the need to make grand statements of their homosexuality. It's almost a challenge - they throw down the gauntlet. "I'm gay and I want to see how you react to me being this way." Maybe it's just their way of figuring out who's a friendly and who's not. I don't know. But I know for me personally, this is the biggest issue. I usually don't have a problem with gays. But the way many of them act, it almost makes me have a problem with homosexuality.

I personally feel that any privately owned, non subsidized business or person should be able to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

I don't think that they should discriminate, but it should be their right to do so if private.

I personally feel that any privately owned, non subsidized business or person should be able to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

I don't think that they should discriminate, but it should be their right to do so if private.
If they are using US currency in their transactions, isn't every business deal public? I disagree with your view on this.

Just having the same rights isn't enough. The LGBT movement wants you to change your beliefs. And so, they often feel the need to make grand statements of their homosexuality. It's almost a challenge - they throw down the gauntlet. "I'm gay and I want to see how you react to me being this way." Maybe it's just their way of figuring out who's a friendly and who's not.
Show me on the doll where he touched you.

Agree. I doubt I'd choose to do it, but on principal that should be the right of a private business owner.

If they are using US currency in their transactions, isn't every business deal public? I disagree with your view on this.
Well, oil is traded in US dollars and last time I checked, being gay in the Middle East was pretty hazardous.

Would it be ok with you if I put a sign at the end of my driveway which said " No Mormons or Jehovhas Witnesses Allowed, Everyone else please ring bell"?

I agree with this in principle, but in reality it would not be feasible in some cases. What if the only gas station in a small town wanted to discriminate ? That puts an unreasonable, and potentially life-threatening, burden upon those against whom it is discriminating.

Originally posted by st8grad93:

I agree with this in principle, but in reality it would not be feasible in some cases. What if the only gas station in a small town wanted to discriminate ? That puts an unreasonable, and potentially life-threatening, burden upon those against whom it is discriminating.
Ok, but the State would then refuse to authorize that the pumps have been properly calibrated and the station would be required to post a sign saying that pumps have not been tested.

Furthermore, if this were a franchise, then you could count on every corporation disavowing and yanking franchise rights. So now the station is an independent and they are going to have to buy gas somewhere and which distributor would want to be subject to boycotts, demonstrations, etc.?

In other words, the guy would end up isolating himself pretty quickly. And finally, why would I want to live in some small Podunk town in which the other residents didn't want me there?

without reading the law i guarantee u both sides are using ridiculous hyperbole in defense of their positions.

Any private business should have the right to refuse service to whomever they please. Then let the market decide how successful the business is. My guess is a bakery in seattle that refuses to bake a cake for a gay wedding wont be around long and in its plac will be one that doesnt discriminate.

I for one like to know which businesses are being run by backwards hicks and bigots so i know not to go there.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Well, oil is traded in US dollars and last time I checked, being gay in the Middle East was pretty hazardous.

Would it be ok with you if I put a sign at the end of my driveway which said " No Mormons or Jehovhas Witnesses Allowed, Everyone else please ring bell"?
A sign requesting no religious solicitations would be best. We can't control what they do in the Middle East, they are independent countries. We could cut back on their foreign aid packages. If a business was to discriminate, the word would get out pretty quickly and that business would likely find their bottom line affected in a negative way.

If a business was to discriminate, the word would get out pretty quickly and that business would likely find their bottom line affected in a negative way.
Right. And aren't natural consequences the best consequences? So why the need to force a private business to do anything?

And aren't natural consequences the best consequences?
Here are the natural consequences to an Indiana pizzeria's Yelp page (NSFW) after they announced they would not provide pizza for gay weddings.
laugh.r191677.gif

I mean, who the hell has pizza at a wedding anyway? They're really going out of their way to make sure everyone knows they don't like gays.

This post was edited on 4/1 12:52 PM by Heels in Space

What if you grew up in that town and have lived there all your life, and then some outsider comes in and buys the gas station ? Or the only supermarket ? Or the only pharmacy ? Why should you be the one that is forced to move ?

And aren't natural consequences the best consequences?
Here are the natural consequences to an Indiana pizzeria's Yelp page after they announced they would not provide pizza for gay weddings.
laugh.r191677.gif

I mean, who the hell has pizza at a wedding anyway? They're really going out of their way to make sure everyone knows they don't like gays.
I looked through some of the pictures and I think you should have probably warned people that there is some seriously graphic material in there. It is absolutely NSFW.

But I came across this picture...which I like. Instead of trying to tear down those that are not wanting to serve certain people, why don't we instead try to prop up businesses that have signs like this on their doors.
o.jpg

It goes back to my comment above that the LGBT movement is out for blood. They don't just want equal rights. They want to hurt those that don't agree with their lifestyle. They are being exactly what they claim to be against - intolerant. The LGBT shouldn't focus any efforts whatsoever on the negative side. Instead, try to focus on the positives. Don't even mention those in opposition to homosexuality. Don't rail against Christians that use the bible as their reasoning. Instead, point to businesses that are accepting. Promote those businesses. If you're gay and you own a radio station, give them free commercials. Have parties at those places. By doing that, you will squeeze the others out.

This post was edited on 4/1 12:26 PM by gunslingerdick

If a business was to discriminate, the word would get out pretty quickly and that business would likely find their bottom line affected in a negative way.
Right. And aren't natural consequences the best consequences? So why the need to force a private business to do anything?
Yes, natural consequences are the best. But why give bigoted people legal justification for practicing bigotry?

Just heard on the news that Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson has sent the religious freedom bill back to the state legislature to be reworded.

Yes, natural consequences are the best. But why give bigoted people legal justification for practicing bigotry?
Because you cannot legislate beliefs. If they force those businesses to serve gays, do you really think the gays will get good service? They cannot win. Sure, they might force the govt's hand and all businesses will have to serve gays. And then you go in and ask for a cake for your gay wedding? Let me assure you, I wouldn't eat that cake. Who knows what's in it.

I promise, that will happen. Gays will lose any way you slice it.

I looked through some of the pictures and I think you should have probably warned people that there is some seriously graphic material in there. It is absolutely NSFW.

But I came across this picture...which I like. Instead of trying to tear down those that are not wanting to serve certain people, why don't we instead try to prop up businesses that have signs like this on their doors.
ec

It goes back to my comment above that the LGBT movement is out for blood. They don't just want equal rights. They want to hurt those that don't agree with their lifestyle. They are being exactly what they claim to be against - intolerant. The LGBT shouldn't focus any efforts whatsoever on the negative side. Instead, try to focus on the positives. Don't even mention those in opposition to homosexuality. Don't rail against Christians that use the bible as their reasoning. Instead, point to businesses that are accepting. Promote those businesses. If you're gay and you own a radio station, give them free commercials. Have parties at those places. By doing that, you will squeeze the others out.

This post was edited on 4/1 12:26 PM by gunslingerdick
I just glanced at the thumbnails, so my apologies if some are graphic. The ones I saw seemed pretty tame.

As to your second point though, I thought the point of allowing businesses to discriminate was that they would get called out for it and the market would decide whether they survived. Now you're saying that those being discriminated against should just ignore the businesses doing the discriminating. Isn't that trying to have it both ways?

There's a difference between not agreeing with someone's lifestyle (setting aside the dubious notion that homosexuality is a "lifestyle") and refusing them service. If a business refuses to serve me because of who I am and I publicize that fact, am I the one being intolerant?

both sides are being intolerant.

The owner is being intolerant because of his bigoted belief that his lifestyle (militant Christian, for example) is being affected by having to do business with gays and therefore not tolerating customers of differing viewpoints.

The customer is being intolerant by attempting to force the owner into a transaction.

Allow the bigot to be the bigot. Just move on and take your business elsewhere.
This post was edited on 4/1 1:11 PM by UNC71-00

A sign requesting no religious solicitations would be best. We can't control what they do in the Middle East, they are independent countries. We could cut back on their foreign aid packages. If a business was to discriminate, the word would get out pretty quickly and that business would likely find their bottom line affected in a negative way.
I agree that such a sign would be better, but my question remains: would you be ok if I put up a sign in my driveway that said "No Mormons Allowed"?

If we quit trading with the companies that commit human rights violations, many of them would be crushed. For instance, what if the US made it illegal for companies to sell products made in countries that discriminate against Buddhists? No doubt prices on just about everything would go through the roof and there would be a tono of other negative impacts on our economy, but China would be crushed if they didn't have us as a trading partner.

I just glanced at the thumbnails, so my apologies if some are graphic. The ones I saw seemed pretty tame.
No sweat. I was just letting others know.

As to your second point though, I thought the point of allowing businesses to discriminate was that they would get called out for it and the market would decide whether they survived. Now you're saying that those being discriminated against should just ignore the businesses doing the discriminating. Isn't that trying to have it both ways?
By promoting all inclusive businesses, you're sending people away from those that aren't inclusive. I'm just saying that the tactics used by the LGBT movement (and many other movements) are of the aggressive nature. And that turns people off. I'm proof of it. Because like I said, I generally don't have a problem with the homosexual lifestyle. But when I see an angry mob of LGBT supporters using aggressive tactics, it makes me not want to accommodate them even if at my core, I believe in them. So instead of going after the non-inclusive, do what you can to support and promote the inclusive. That will eventually drive out the non-inclusive. It's simple. But I have a hunch that won't appease many on the side of said movement. Because as I stated earlier, I feel like those backing a movement aren't happy with having their needs met. They want those that refuse to meet their needs change their way of thinking. That's an exercise in futility.

There's a difference between not agreeing with someone's lifestyle (setting aside the dubious notion that homosexuality is a "lifestyle") and refusing them service. If a business refuses to serve me because of who I am and I publicize that fact, am I the one being intolerant?
You're not being intolerant if that's all that you're doing. If you simply let people know that Business X won't serve you because you're gay, then fine. But if you publically challenge Business X for their Christian beliefs that are in opposition to your homosexual lifestyle, then yes, you are being intolerant.

Also, no one has even addressed how the supposed legalized discrimination will even be enforced. And again, I'll cite the nature of gays (as I know them to be). Many have a desire for everyone around them to know they are gay. I can't understand why a gay person would want to do business with a company that doesn't want to serve them. But let's overlook that right now. A gay man walks into a sandwich shop. He goes and places his order. He gets his food. He eats it. He leaves. Where does the gay thing even enter the equation? If there was a sign on the door that said "Christian business - we do not serve homosexuals.", who would know if the gay guy that just went in and ordered was gay? No one...until the gay guy made a point to make it known - a challenge, if you will. But I suspect the gay person that patronized the store only did so for the purpose of a challenge. Because it would blow my mind to think that a gay person would want to give money and receive service from someone that doesn't want to serve them.

Also, no one has even addressed how the supposed legalized discrimination will even be enforced. And again, I'll cite the nature of gays (as I know them to be). Many have a desire for everyone around them to know they are gay. I can't understand why a gay person would want to do business with a company that doesn't want to serve them. But let's overlook that right now. A gay man walks into a sandwich shop. He goes and places his order. He gets his food. He eats it. He leaves. Where does the gay thing even enter the equation? If there was a sign on the door that said "Christian business - we do not serve homosexuals.", who would know if the gay guy that just went in and ordered was gay? No one...until the gay guy made a point to make it known - a challenge, if you will. But I suspect the gay person that patronized the store only did so for the purpose of a challenge. Because it would blow my mind to think that a gay person would want to give money and receive service from someone that doesn't want to serve them.
Well, take a different example: housing. As someone who recently moved, I know it can be a real pain in the a$$ to find an affordable and desirable house or apartment. If you're a gay couple looking for a place, you can't really hide the fact that you'll be gay people living together unless you want to outright lie during the application process (which is likely against the law). If landlords could refuse to rent to you because you're a gay couple, it could seriously impact your ability to find a place and could result in you paying significantly more than you otherwise would.

I typically don't care if my landlord approves of my "lifestyle" as long as he's not harassing me about it. But I do care whether I can find a place to live or not.

I agree that such a sign would be better, but my question remains: would you be ok if I put up a sign in my driveway that said "No Mormons Allowed"?

If we quit trading with the companies that commit human rights violations, many of them would be crushed. For instance, what if the US made it illegal for companies to sell products made in countries that discriminate against Buddhists? No doubt prices on just about everything would go through the roof and there would be a tono of other negative impacts on our economy, but China would be crushed if they didn't have us as a trading partner.
IMHO, when you single out a specific group and deny them access to something, you are doing the same thing people did when blacks were treated as second class citizens and that has been ruled illegal. By saying no solicitations to everyone, you are giving them all equal treatment and that's what this whole uproar over the Indiana law is all about.

Might sound like a "bigot" but WTH is a gay christian?

IMHO, when you single out a specific group and deny them access to something, you are doing the same thing people did when blacks were treated as second class citizens and that has been ruled illegal. By saying no solicitations to everyone, you are giving them all equal treatment and that's what this whole uproar over the Indiana law is all about.
I understand that would be what I would be doing. I'm just asking you if you are ok with me banning Mormons from my property, yet allowing Jehovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and guys wanting to clean my gutters?

What if the LGBT community and/or the state of Indiana ban Gays from playing in the Final Four? Will Dook be able to field a team?
wink.r191677.gif
This phony protest is absurd! JMHO

I understand that would be what I would be doing. I'm just asking you if you are ok with me banning Mormons from my property, yet allowing Jehovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and guys wanting to clean my gutters?
If you prohibit one group but yet allow other religious groups, then I would feel like you are being discriminatory. The part about Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and gutter cleaners is misleading since all they want you to do is buy cookies, popcorn or pay them to do something you probably don't want to do yourself, not convert you to their religious beliefs.

Personally, I think any business that would discriminate against a potential customer probably wouldn't have potential customers for long.

Yes,that would be discriminatory.

Do you think I should be allowed to do so on my property?

Originally posted by Deezheelz:

Might sound like a "bigot" but WTH is a gay christian?
Are you saying a person can't be gay and Christian? If so, I beg to differ....

Let's give everyone a participation trophy because there are no winners or losers in our world today!!!. This Socialistic crap is getting out of hand!!! The fact is that EVERY person on this board discriminates in one way or another!!!!! And the ones that are whining about this law probably discriminate more than the others…I call them closet discriminators!!!! As a business owner you should have the right to do business with whomever you want……there is no way that the laws will ever be able to legislate that OUT of society! If I don't want to do business with someone then typically they get a much higher price or the service/product they get is not of equal value/quality. If I don't want to do business with someone then I refuse on the grounds that I am to busy that day or I have decided to take that day off or we are closed that day….go ahead and try and legislate that!!!!! Can you people not see that we are legislating ourselves out of the very basic things that make us FREE! Trying to legislate morality, being good, being kind or whatever it is WON'T WORK! It is called the Free Market for a reason and has worked for years and years…..If a business does not want to do business with me then why the Hell would I want to do business with them? I tell my friends they tell their friends and the market adjusts!

and for the people comparing the plight of the gay's to the Blacks….give it up…it's not even close! A lifestyle choice verses the color of one's skin…...

Yeah,...but that's not what the law intends. This link provides some clarity and also shines a light on the hypocrisy of the left. Entertaining too.
This guy totally misses the point. A baker can absolutely refuse to write a particular message on a cake, as long as he or she would refuse to do so for all customers. But if the baker would make a wedding cake for a straight couple while refusing to make the same cake for a gay couple, that's discriminatory because the refusal is based solely on the fact that the customer is gay. It would be the same if a landlord held a religious belief that two gay men living together was immoral and refused to rent to a gay couple.

Opponents of these laws believe that you should not be able to discriminate or refuse service to someone simply because they are gay.

Not sure what the point about Muslims was. They shouldn't be able to discriminate either.

ADVERTISEMENT