ADVERTISEMENT

Jalek Felton

GoNtheDistance

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2003
Interesting that the young man deleted his headline on Instagram as a UNC commit and also deleted any and all UNC pictures from his Instagram.

He's going to open it back up. Which is very troubling to see a commit go the other way when we think the scandal is over and recruiting will start picking up.

This could be a very bad sign.

He has not decommitted. He is a tar heel. Give him a break.

But he needs a sit down meeting with Roy/Staff to reassure himself of where he is going to college . . ?

And, if by chance, Roy says "Its unlikely we'll be sanctioned . . " . . . While I would agree that it is unlikely, no one can guarantee what the NCAA will do, they are just way too unpredictable.

So how would Jalek progress . . ? He's probably going to take a few visits, enjoy the recruiting process until early 2016 when it may or may not know the NCAA's position. All the while, the sudden pause in his recruitment, Calipari and maybe others are pitching their own programs.

IIRC, to date, Felton is the only 2017 player to commit to anyone . . he may want us, but, there are others he will offer an ear to.

Committed to UNC . . ? I'm not so sure . .

jmhho

Last edited:
From folks close to the situation, Felton committed to UNC early without really considering anybody else. As the summer ball circuit had picked up and other coaches have been in his ear with the negative recruiting BS, it's made him realize he needs to do his due diligence and visit other places. As somebody else said, he isn't committed to us until he signs. The rest of this is just part of the circus that has become of recruiting top level talent.

Jericho is right. It's kind of alarming but not to be unexpected. NCAA issues, no other major recruits are committing to us...

Felton doesn't want to come to a school under sanctions when he arrives (I don't think it will happen but NCAA always surprises me with their ridiculousness), or a school without the talent to win it all while he's there. Sadly, the 2 things Felton is worried about are a real possibility. Excuse my language but **** the NCAA and their pathetic process. (Process is giving them credit because it's amazing how quickly they move mid season when an NCAA football player or program is in the line of fire and yet this has went on forever)

UNC has not responded to the NOA. It appears that UNC is going to take it's time on the response which is due in the fall. Once that happens the NCAA will make a ruling sometime around the first of the year. My prediction is sometime in the February. Duke will get their highly ranked players in the fall and so will Kentucky. Really, no use losing a lot of sleep over it. The Heels will have a competitive teams for the next two years so it is too soon to panic. Roy has offered 17 players for 2016. Perhaps Felton is concerning about all the 2016 offers? If Roy lands some of 4-5 star stud players for 2016 and that turn out not one-and-done, how much playing time do you think Felton will get his freshman year? Oh, wait! if he really good he will get his playing time. I met a Nike AAU coach this weekend in Washington DC who will remain nameless. I had a long conversation with him and really picked his brain. The guy said if I revealed my source I would be a dead man...lol. He asked to see my drivers license before he would chat with me...true story. I will share a few tidbits which should be no surprise to us. Just hearing it from him confirmed my thoughts. He said many of these AAU kids come from low income families who can barely make ends meet. He said for every Jabari Parker with parents with good jobs, there are 10 others with parents that barely making ends meet. He said many kids only have a mother to support them. He said the kids are into rap music an tattoos and coaches need to relate to this stuff. Some of the old recruiting tactics are not working. I asked him why did he think Duke was so successful. He said " If you are a white superstar in high school" Duke will get the kid if they want him". The parents will push them to Duke. Also, if you a black superstar in high school and your parents have good income and college graduates the parents will push you to Duke. He said, this is not always the case, but the parents are pushing hard for Duke. He said AAU coaches and handlers have more control when there is only a mother in the background. He ended by saying this which is what we already know. Many of the kids are just not intelligent enough to become lawyers and doctors. They all want the NBA even though only 1% will make it. From his perspective, he tells them that they all have a chance. This is how he recruits his team. If he didn't recruit this way he would not be an AAU coach. It's the survival mode.

Last edited:
Roy has offered 17 players for 2016. Perhaps Felton is concerning about all the 2016 offers? If Roy lands some of 4-5 star stud players for 2016 and that turn out not one-and-done, how much playing time do you think Felton will get his freshman year
Careful steat..I got crucified in another thread for basically saying the same thing.. I said" maybe he sees that he's being recruited over "... I got called all kinds of names for mentioning that!!!

Careful steat..I got crucified in another thread for basically saying the same thing.. I said" maybe he sees that he's being recruited over "... I got called all kinds of names for mentioning that!!!
Bur, I'm not one to worry about what other fans say. I don' think Felton wants to meet with Roy because of the sanctions. Heck, the kid is the nephew of a former UNC superstar (Ray Felton) and he knows more about possible sanctions than anyone other then Roy. The kid (IMO) wants some assurances that he is not being recruited over. People may not want to hear this, but Roy can't just wait and hold a position for Felton. Kendall Marshall committed in the 9th grade and came in and won the point guard position after a period of time. Love myself some Felton, but give me a 3-4 of the studs Roy is recruiting for 2016 . As Scarlett O'Hara said in that classic last scene in the best movie of all time "Gone With The Wind"......when Rhett Butler said "I don't give a damm". Scarlett's comeback? "I'll worry about that tomorrow".. Bottomline, I'll worry about 2017 tomorrow...not losing any sleep now.

Good job, Mikey. Beat me to it.

Guys, this is an example of what I posted a couple of weeks ago about the organized smear campaign that's been going around AAU events this summer. I actually heard some of the "Carolina is going to get hammered" crap at the Under Armour tourney I attended last weekend (trust me, I destroyed that garbage when it was brought up around me). All we're seeing from Jalek are the temporary effects of these outright lies.

The good news is that he isn't going anywhere. He's all UNC. But of course there are Carolina-haters in the "media" who are more than happy to insinuate he's de-committing just because he brings up these issues.

I will say this: Roy needs to actively reach out to Carolina basketball alums like Ray and McInnis and Stack and others involved with AAU and task them with aggressively knocking down the negative meme out there.

UNC has not responded to the NOA. It appears that UNC is going to take it's time on the response which is due in the fall. Once that happens the NCAA will make a ruling sometime around the first of the year. My prediction is sometime in the February.

We're going to get massacred on the recruiting trail if a decision comes that late.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
We're going to get massacred on the recruiting trail if a decision comes that late.
Well..time to get prepared..because it's going to happen!!...I'm more focused on the '17 class now..starting to look like it will be the most important..our roster will be set up to get us through 2016 with who should be returning!!

Who cares....Felton wants to be a Tar Heel or he doesn't...UNC will be fine either way.....

I'm a Duke alum/fan but here's my 2 cents. I think what's really hurting UNC recruiting right now is lack of momentum - on the court, with recruits, and with AAU. I think the scandal plays a part but - at this point - isn't the biggest problem. I also think you're in denial if you think a weak 2016 class won't lead to a middle-of-the-ACC at-best team next year.

The biggest thing you can control right now is 'on the court.' I think a year at/near the top of polls will help with the momentum. Maybe that re-starts your 2016 recruiting and you get a couple of top 25 guys, and then Felton is feeling much better about his commitment.

Duke is in the midst of an insane run, recruiting wise, and we fans are enjoying it while it lasts. But we all know UNC won't stay down for long...

Who cares....Felton wants to be a Tar Heel or he doesn't...UNC will be fine either way.....

I seriously don't know how you can say that. What in the past 18 months in recruiting has made you feel like we will be "fine" after this season. We haven't signed a top 75 prospect in 2 years. Our rival has signed more than anyone. We're losing kids to NC State for christ's sake.

You can't view this with blinders on anymore.

I'm a Duke alum/fan but here's my 2 cents. I think what's really hurting UNC recruiting right now is lack of momentum - on the court, with recruits, and with AAU. I think the scandal plays a part but - at this point - isn't the biggest problem. I also think you're in denial if you think a weak 2016 class won't lead to a middle-of-the-ACC at-best team next year.

The biggest thing you can control right now is 'on the court.' I think a year at/near the top of polls will help with the momentum. Maybe that re-starts your 2016 recruiting and you get a couple of top 25 guys, and then Felton is feeling much better about his commitment.

Duke is in the midst of an insane run, recruiting wise, and we fans are enjoying it while it lasts. But we all know UNC won't stay down for long...

Solid post and I agree with most of it. I'm still going with the scandal being the biggest problem. We'd have at least 2 more top 15 guys than we currently have right now for 2015 and we'd be in fantastic shape with a ton of top 2016 guys if this didn't exist. The players have said so themselves. It's not like we were an NIT team last year, we were solid.

But agree completely with lack of momentum.

I seriously don't know how you can say that. What in the past 18 months in recruiting has made you feel like we will be "fine" after this season. We haven't signed a top 75 prospect in 2 years. Our rival has signed more than anyone. We're losing kids to NC State for christ's sake.

Agreed Dadika. It's nice to see others with a realistic view.

I'm curious..with the way our roster is set up this year..how many top ten recruits would come in and start from day one from the '15 class?.. Sg would seem to have the only shot at it..these top ten kids are not coming in to sit!!..fast forward to '16...with the potential of jj,jb,Theo,Meeks, & hicks returning and that being our starting lineup ..how many of these top rated'16 recruits wants to come off the bench?...with the exception of Giles,who's going to have the chance to start over a junior or senior?..the allegations are a major problem but so is promised pt to a kid!!

Our BIGGEST problem is the NCAA and all the NEGATIVE recruiting by slimy coaches because of it. PERIOD!

I'm curious..with the way our roster is set up this year..how many top ten recruits would come in and start from day one from the '15 class?.. Sg would seem to have the only shot at it..these top ten kids are not coming in to sit!!..fast forward to '16...with the potential of jj,jb,Theo,Meeks, & hicks returning and that being our starting lineup ..how many of these top rated'16 recruits wants to come off the bench?...with the exception of Giles,who's going to have the chance to start over a junior or senior?..the allegations are a major problem but so is promised pt to a kid!!

I can tell you that every kid in the top 25 of this loaded 2016 class would start for us in 2016.

Also, JJ is going to be in the NBA in 2016, not Chapel Hill.

It's real easy for me to say it...As a UNC fan I have been dealing with this NCAA stuff since 2010...Truth is I am numb to all the BS by now and don't really care....I want people at UNC that want to be here not people that let others get in their head...You know how many kids Football has missed out on the last 5 years...Hell Football got hit by the NCAA and served the time for the crime and yet still it's going on....Until UNC stands up and tells the NCAA and that Rag of a paper in Moo Land to shove it where the sun don't shine it will never stop...

So until then all I can do is pull for the kids that want to be a Tar Heel and forget the rest....

Reactions: shun1
It's real easy for me to say it...As a UNC fan I have been dealing with this NCAA stuff since 2010...Truth is I am numb to all the BS by now and don't really care....I want people at UNC that want to be here not people that let others get in their head...You know how many kids Football has missed out on the last 5 years...Hell Football got hit by the NCAA and served the time for the crime and yet still it's going on....Until UNC stands up and tells the NCAA and that Rag of a paper in Moo Land to shove it where the sun don't shine it will never stop...

So until then all I can do is pull for the kids that want to be a Tar Heel and forget the rest....
Hi KOOL123. A M E N!

...and enjoy a 19-16 NIT season then. Seriously, that's what will happen in 16-17 if we miss in the 2016 class. Then we'll see if your "we're fine" tone will continue.

Hi KOOL123. A M E N!

What's up shun1 I hope you got that donkey ready for the Lamecocks my man...

Also mikeirby I see you are having a bone marrow transplant...I had 1 in 2009 at Duke...Still here and going strong and back working...Good luck and you are in my prayers and make no mistake you are with the best in the World...

...and enjoy a 19-16 NIT season then. Seriously, that's what will happen in 16-17 if we miss in the 2016 class. Then we'll see if your "we're fine" tone will continue.
Hi dadika. Thank GOD for whom we have and make the best of it. This is not a perfect world in which everything falls in perfect order. Cherish the moment and enjoy it my friend.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY & STAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's up shun1 I hope you got that donkey ready for the Lamecocks my man...

Also mikeirby I see you are having a bone marrow transplant...I had 1 in 2009 at Duke...Still here and going strong and back working...Good luck and you are in my prayers and make no mistake you are with the best in the World...
Hi KOOL123. The DONKEY WHIPPING MACHINE has been greased and ready to go. We want to whip that USC DONKEY red to match that doggone red chicken.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT to know!Thanks for sharing that! They have me in a holding pattern right now.

Would you mind shooting me an e-mail? Love to talk with you about it. mikeirbyusa@aol.com

Well said. Just what some on this forum need. This casual la-di-da attitude towards our basketball program is disheartening. What happened to the passion and drive of the game among fans? I haven't even been on this earth as long as some have been watching Carolina basketball, and I feel like I have more passion than some here. What is so wrong with wanting top talent and wanting to win? Give me a break!

Well said. Just what some on this forum need. This casual la-di-da attitude towards our basketball program is disheartening. What happened to the passion and drive of the game among fans? I haven't even been on this earth as long as some have been watching Carolina basketball, and I feel like I have more passion than some here. What is so wrong with wanting top talent and wanting to win? Give me a break!

There's nothing wrong with wanting top talent, there's nothing wrong with wanting the Heels to be a perennial power, there is something wrong with thinking that if you write 1000 posts on it something will change.

There are and have been forces at work which have hampered recruiting severely. They'll continue to do so until the NCAA crap is far off in the rear view mirror. But that hasn't stopped anyone from trying. It's not like Roy is sitting on a beach in Maui, sipping pina coladas!! He's working his tail off.

Back to us fans. We have no ability to affect, influence or change the minds of recruits, we are sitting in the cheapest of cheap seats watching it unfold. The "la-di-da" attitude is realism and patience. As you alluded to, something you gain with grey hair (or lack of hair), a widening middle and some perspective in life.

Our valiant moderator, Mike is staring down the barrel of the biggest recruiting battle one could face: his body needs a 5* filled injection of talent to win the fight of his life. That's perspective. Not all of us have so much perspective, we just have work, kids, homework, bills etc. But with age and responsibility you learn not to get your pants in a twist about what you can't control.

So will Roy sign player xyz, or player zyx? None of us know or can control. It's all good to discuss, but as several posters here have said, we still pull for the Heels Basketball team, whomever is wearing the uniform when they take the court in November and hopefully right up until April!

La-di-da

Last edited:
Reactions: RP12 and CJBlue
Back to us fans. We have no ability to affect, influence or change the minds of recruits, we are sitting in the cheapest of cheap seats watching it unfold. The "la-di-da" attitude is realism and patience. As you alluded to, something you gain with grey hair (or lack of hair), a widening middle and some perspective in life.

Our valiant moderator, Mike is staring down the barrel of the biggest recruiting battle one could face: his body needs a 5* filled injection of talent to win the fight of his life. That's perspective. Not all of us have so much perspective, we just have work, kids, homework, bills etc. But with age and responsibility you learn not to get your pants in a twist about what you can't control.

So will Roy sign player xyz, or player zyx? None of us know or can control. It's all good to discuss, but as several posters here have said, we still pull for the Heels Basketball team, whomever is wearing the uniform when they take the court in November and hopefully right up until April!

La-di-da

I don't think any of us are looking at this as life or death. In the overall aspect of hopefully all of our lives, 2016 recruiting is somewhere very down on the list.

But, we come on here to talk UNC basketball and in terms of UNC basketball, this is a major deal if we lose Jalek. When people are talking UNC basketball and just say "the team will be fine" or "we'll only worry about the kids that really want to be Tar Heels", it is short-sided.

We root for our Tar Heels to win games, and we won't win that many after next season unless things turn around.

There's nothing wrong with wanting top talent, there's nothing wrong with wanting the Heels to be a perennial power, there is something wrong with thinking that if you write 1000 posts on it something will change.

There are and have been forces at work which have hampered recruiting severely. They'll continue to do so until the NCAA crap is far off in the rear view mirror. But that hasn't stopped anyone from trying. It's not like Roy is sitting on a beach in Maui, sipping pina coladas!! He's working his tail off.

La-di-da
Hi Oz heel fan. You are my kind of poster, good SPIRIT and good ATTITUDE!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY & STAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering most topics started during the offseason are about recruiting, it's no surprise there are about 1000 posts about it. What else are we going to talk about during the offseason? Candy?

My issue is not with Roy. I'm happy he's our coach and what he does for us.

I'm not asking anyone to change their perspective. I am simply pointing out the blissful "everything is fine" attitude people have and the constant need to criticize those that have a more realistic view of the state of our basketball program.

Expanding on what dadika13 said, a lot of us come here to talk about UNC and UNC Basketball, and it gets real old real fast hearing people say things like "the team will be fine with whomever we get" when we're staring down the metaphorical gun of the NCAA's decision + missing on recruits left and right. People complain about the "doom and gloom" guys on the forum all the time, but don't even realize how asinine saying empty positive words based on no facts is.

I completely understand that people have much bigger priorities in their life than UNC Basketball, and I am no exception to this either. But saying these things isn't realistic. It's just blinded bliss.

La-di-da

I will root for UNC Basketball always. And as a fan, I want them to win.

We may not be doing much of that unless our situation brightens up soon.

Reactions: BillyL and dadika13
Very hard to read this board and then LOOK at what we have RIGHT NOW! We have a GREAT chance to make the final 4, we brought in Berry-Jackson-Theo year before last. That's a heck of a class! We lost next to no one and brought in some nice roll players, no stars were coming for a couple of reasons. Let's let this NCAA crap play out THEN see where we are. Is that so much to ask?

And any rate, I plan on enjoying the heck out of this bunch!

GO HEELS!

Reactions: Bur-Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT