ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Brown

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
This has been an odd recruitment. I have pretty good contacts down here in GA and nobody seems to have had a real handle on where he will end up. While I knew that he had spoken of UNC as a favorite growing up, I still have never put much stock in our chances.

Perhaps because of his stated preference for Adidas, the "consensus" for a long while was Kansas, but they just got eliminated. Does that bode well for us? Maybe... but still, more likely not. I never count out Roy... and sadly you can't count out Cal for a one-and-doner.... but the KU elimination may just be a reinforcement of the tea-leaves that have been more recently pointing to Michigan. He has family there, and they are the last remaining Adidas school.

Anyway, FWIW, here's a scouting report from an AAU buddy who has seen him several times:
Classic "NBA body" and athleticism, one-and-done for sure who will then probably be a lottery pick. Prototype NBA wing these days, but as far as college, he's yet another kid who will give you "wow" moments as a freshman, but also will often look like a freshman. Doesn't do any one thing great yet but that will probably come, probably after he's gone. He's a kid who is going to need to be a starter and that probably doesn't fit well at Carolina this year.

For all these and other reasons, Michigan is likely the destination for him. They cleared out a scholarship (they were never gonna get Kenny Williams, BTW), and that scholly is for Brown.

So I'm sticking with my UM prediction... although ya never know....

Personally, I'm feeling good about Kenny Williams.

He is going to Michigan and is why Kenny Williams cut Michigan. He is going to take their only scholarship.

He commited to California-Berkley

Cal has had a fantastic recruiting class given their past history. Anyone have any ideas why? And I'm not implying anything under the table is happening, just trying to figure out how they got the guys they got.

I felt all along we had no chance with this kid and we are gonna lose out on K Wiliams too

Sad that this NCAA is over us and YES it IS a MAJOR factor with these kids. WHY take a chance on Carolina at this point???

There are the typical deniers out there who blab on about how the NCAA makes NO difference........... man are they delusional.

NCAA cloud affects the players that are 3-4 year kids...not the oad's of next year!!..understand why Williams wouldn't come because it could hit him while his time here..oad's would be long gone already!!

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Maybe Rabb and Brown are communist sympathizers or maybe they just want to use the female bathroom on days that they are feeling a little girlish or gender questioning. If either are true , then Berkeley is the place for them.

Reactions: GACMAN
Just curious. Where did "premium" have Brown going before he announced to Cal Berkeley?

NCAA cloud affects the players that are 3-4 year kids...not the oad's of next year!!..understand why Williams wouldn't come because it could hit him while his time here..oad's would be long gone already!!
Thank you for saying this. The "scandal" had nothing to with JB or BI's decisions. Bottom line is they just did not want to come here. Folks need to deal with that and quit all this nonsense around OAD's not choosing to come here. There is no scandal. If there were, why would the current players even consider coming back? MP would be gone. KM would be gone. BJ would be gone. JJ would be gone. And please don't tell me JP left because of the scandal. 99% of prospects don't even know there is a scandal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bur-Heel
Thank you for saying this. The "scandal" had nothing to with JB or BI's decisions. Bottom line is they just did not want to come here. Folks need to deal with that and quit all this nonsense around OAD's not choosing to come here. There is no scandal. If there were, why would the current players even consider coming back? MP would be gone. KM would be gone. BJ would be gone. JJ would be gone. And please don't tell me JP left because of the scandal. 99% of prospects don't even know there is a scandal.

i disagree. if a prospect for some strange reason doesn't know that unc is being investigated by the ncaa i'm sure opposing coaches will educate them. i also disagree with the idea that one-and-doners don't care about a scandal because they're only here for one year. the thing they DO care about is having a strong supporting cast to make a final four run during their brief time in college, and when those kids shy away so do the one-and-doners. most 5-star kids have numerous enticing offers and a difficult decision. a huge ncaa cloud hanging over your program is more than enough to sway a close call.

Reactions: UNC '92
i disagree. if a prospect for some strange reason doesn't know that unc is being investigated by the ncaa i'm sure opposing coaches will educate them. i also disagree with the idea that one-and-doners don't care about a scandal because they're only here for one year. the thing they DO care about is having a strong supporting cast to make a final four run during their brief time in college, and when those kids shy away so do the one-and-doners. most 5-star kids have numerous enticing offers and a difficult decision. a huge ncaa cloud hanging over your program is more than enough to sway a close call.

The only cloud hanging over the program is the cloud that our program just isn't attractive any longer to top 5-7 players. That's it. Nothing else to see here. Folks are going to be talking about this "scandal" impacting recruiting all the way to Roy's retirement. Just watch, this magical "cloud" is going to be used as a recruiting excuse for the next 5 years.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
The only cloud hanging over the program is the cloud that our program just isn't attractive any longer to top 5-7 players. That's it. Nothing else to see here. Folks are going to be talking about this "scandal" impacting recruiting all the way to Roy's retirement. Just watch, this magical "cloud" is going to be used as a recruiting excuse for the next 5 years.

Did you use top 7 because JJ was just outside the top 7 last year? Why not just say top 10? If you dont think there is a "cloud", you dont think playing time is playing a factor? No we wont be using the "cloud" as an excuse because once there is a ton of PT to be had next year, Roy will land a top class. Book it.

Michigan.
I did, too... then got reminded about his relationship with Shareef Abdul-Raheem who went to Cal from the same program.
One little postscript, with the disclaimer that I have no idea if there is any credibility to this, but there is some buzz going around down here in GA today about some late $henanigan$ in his recruitment.

Spot on 32. But sadly so many here can't seem to realize this.

I did, too... then got reminded about his relationship with Shareef Abdul-Raheem who went to Cal from the same program.
One little postscript, with the disclaimer that I have no idea if there is any credibility to this, but there is some buzz going around down here in GA today about some late $henanigan$ in his recruitment.

I was thinking this. Now you are hearing some buzz about it. I believe Cal got into his recruitment even later then us. Which made me scratch my head a bit.

I was thinking this. Now you are hearing some buzz about it. I believe UCal got into his recruitment even later then us. Which made me scratch my head a bit.
Again, I have no idea as to the cred of these current rumors, but they are from local sources here and Wheeler HS is no stranger to que$tion$ being raised about such things. It's a power-house public school program (one year their sixth man got a D1 scholly) and they got busted for their own illegal recruiting of players from other High Schools a couple years ago, and there have been rumors before concerning the college recruitment of several of their players as well.... so I'll just say nothing would surprise me.
I never thought we were a major player for him anyway... just reporting what I heard this morning re the UCal thing.

Again, I have no idea as to the cred of these current rumors, but they are from local sources here and Wheeler HS is no stranger to que$tion$ being raised about such things. It's a power-house public school program (one year their sixth man got a D1 scholly) and they got busted for their own illegal recruiting of players from other High Schools a couple years ago, and there have been rumors before concerning the college recruitment of several of their players as well.... so I'll just say nothing would surprise me.
I never thought we were a major player for him anyway... just reporting what I heard this morning re the UCal thing.
Who'd a thunk Cal cared enough about competitive sports for $henanigan$. I would figure they give MVP trophies to every player on the team.

Reactions: GACMAN
Cal has had a fantastic recruiting class given their past history. Anyone have any ideas why? And I'm not implying anything under the table is happening, just trying to figure out how they got the guys they got.
I am implying it.

Did you use top 7 because JJ was just outside the top 7 last year? Why not just say top 10? If you dont think there is a "cloud", you dont think playing time is playing a factor? No we wont be using the "cloud" as an excuse because once there is a ton of PT to be had next year, Roy will land a top class. Book it.
I use top 5-7 because depending on the strength of the class, those are the players that are OAD level talent players. Players below that number are typically another tier behind the top 5-7 players. And yes, that's exactly the category JJ is in. He does not (at this point) have the "franchise" level talent that other OAD's in his class had
I use the top 5-7 players because that's the same number NBA GM's have used when talking about OAD players. Typically, it's top 5, but is a few cases where there are talent laden classes there may be a few more players that are unequivocally considered OAD talent level players that are already on NBA GM radars and are already lotto picks in mock drafts for their respective classes before they've even played a college game yet. And yes, JJ was never on any of those mock draft boards as a lotto or high first round pick nor was he considered a OAD player by any NBA scouts. He was always considered in the next tier of talent from the other OAD players in the 2014 class.

Reactions: MustSeeTV

i strongly disagree. any question marks will be used by opposing coaches to sway recruits away from your program, and possible ncaa sanctions are a huge question mark. ncaa sanctions are punishment, and a program being punished is less attractive. this situation is a dream come true for coaches who recruit against carolina.

Reactions: UNC '92
Aint happening :(

Mikey my freind, when ya gonna start listening to me? Again this cycle, I came out strong and told ya exactly what was gonna happen with BI and where the twists & turns were. I as well came out strong and told ya where kenny was going to end up. One of these days my friend folks are gonna realize listening to me ain't a bad idea if you want to know where a kid will end up and why.

Come on Dave, you ain't ALWAYS right. ;)

Broke watch is right twice a day! :p

Mikey my freind, when ya gonna start listening to me? Again this cycle, I came out strong and told ya exactly what was gonna happen with BI and where the twists & turns were. I as well came out strong and told ya where kenny was going to end up. One of these days my friend folks are gonna realize listening to me ain't a bad idea if you want to know where a kid will end up and why.
You nailed both predictions...congrats! Also, that was good advice to Rexy on the Premium side on the topic of sources. I hope he takes your advice and runs with it.

This has been an odd recruitment. I have pretty good contacts down here in GA and nobody seems to have had a real handle on where he will end up. While I knew that he had spoken of UNC as a favorite growing up, I still have never put much stock in our chances.

Perhaps because of his stated preference for Adidas, the "consensus" for a long while was Kansas, but they just got eliminated. Does that bode well for us? Maybe... but still, more likely not. I never count out Roy... and sadly you can't count out Cal for a one-and-doner.... but the KU elimination may just be a reinforcement of the tea-leaves that have been more recently pointing to Michigan. He has family there, and they are the last remaining Adidas school.

Anyway, FWIW, here's a scouting report from an AAU buddy who has seen him several times:
Classic "NBA body" and athleticism, one-and-done for sure who will then probably be a lottery pick. Prototype NBA wing these days, but as far as college, he's yet another kid who will give you "wow" moments as a freshman, but also will often look like a freshman. Doesn't do any one thing great yet but that will probably come, probably after he's gone. He's a kid who is going to need to be a starter and that probably doesn't fit well at Carolina this year.

For all these and other reasons, Michigan is likely the destination for him. They cleared out a scholarship (they were never gonna get Kenny Williams, BTW), and that scholly is for Brown.

So I'm sticking with my UM prediction... although ya never know....

Personally, I'm feeling good about Kenny Williams.

Maybe Rabb and Brown are communist sympathizers or maybe they just want to use the female bathroom on days that they are feeling a little girlish or gender questioning. If either are true , then Berkeley is the place for them.
Wow. Cal is an awesome school and Berkeley is an awesome place. However that's coming from someone who has ventured more than 10 miles outside of my county of birth.

Wow. Cal is an awesome school and Berkeley is an awesome place. However that's coming from someone who has ventured more than 10 miles outside of my county of birth.
Wow ..what an original and innovative put down. How long did it take you to come up with that? LMFAO

ADVERTISEMENT