ADVERTISEMENT

Joyner Wants To Play For A Winner...

He says this: "“I want to see how good North Carolina does this year, but winning is huge with me and I want to go to a school where I can win and be seen on television and all.”

LSU and FSU may lead, but we have a chance. If Chizik and staff can get the D to look better, and if the Offense does not seem 1 dimensional. we have a shot. We are on TV all the time now, and I think that in 2016 we will be the team with the best odds of wining the Coastal.

I said on this board back in March or so that THIS season, more than any season in Fedora's tenure so far, W's/L's will drive recruiting much more than it has so far.

My reasoning for that is encapsulated by Joyner's quotes. All new head coaches bring an initial uptick in recruiting. You see it at lots of schools. The coach is new blood and can promise the moon and sell playing time, opportunity, the future, etc. But that honeymoon period only lasts 2-3 years at most. After that, the program has to put wins on the board to validate the coaching staff's sales pitch, otherwise it starts to lose its effectiveness.

Rightly or wrongly, we've reached that point in Fedora's era, as far as recruiting is concerned. The elite players need to see wins. If we can post 9-10 wins this season, there's a much better chance to nab some of the elite talent that's out there on defense: Joyner, Coe, Yulee, Lawrence, etc.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I said on this board back in March or so that THIS season, more than any season in Fedora's tenure so far, W's/L's will drive recruiting much more than it has so far.

My reasoning for that is encapsulated by Joyner's quotes. All new head coaches bring an initial uptick in recruiting. You see it at lots of schools. The coach is new blood and can promise the moon and sell playing time, opportunity, the future, etc. But that honeymoon period only lasts 2-3 years at most. After that, the program has to put wins on the board to validate the coaching staff's sales pitch, otherwise it starts to lose its effectiveness.

Rightly or wrongly, we've reached that point in Fedora's era, as far as recruiting is concerned. The elite players need to see wins. If we can post 9-10 wins this season, there's a much better chance to nab some of the elite talent that's out there on defense: Joyner, Coe, Yulee, Lawrence, etc.

Correct. Time runs out on promises of improvement. I think Fedroa is well aware of that, which is the reason he swung for the center field fence by going after Chizik, which he then added to by going after Papuchis. How many teams in history have ever gone from the worst D in school history to having as new DC a man who won a National title as both HC and DC? How many schools in that scenario also have added as a position coach on D a young and good, and perhaps eventually very good, DC from a program with one of the best histoties in the sport?

Fedroa knows that his time is running out. If these moves do not pay off, then Fedora should not last past 2016.

Correct. Time runs out on promises of improvement. I think Fedroa is well aware of that, which is the reason he swung for the center field fence by going after Chizik, which he then added to by going after Papuchis. How many teams in history have ever gone from the worst D in school history to having as new DC a man who won a National title as both HC and DC? How many schools in that scenario also have added as a position coach on D a young and good, and perhaps eventually very good, DC from a program with one of the best histoties in the sport?

Fedroa knows that his time is running out. If these moves do not pay off, then Fedora should not last past 2016.
Don't forget about Charlton Warren (DB's) and Tray(?) Scott (DL), both are whom are serious up-and-comers in the coaching world. Warren, in particular, impresses me. Saw him speak at a Ram's Club function in Atlanta earlier this month....and that guy will have our DB's playing so much better than Disch/Koenning had them playing. I'm pumped.

Don't forget about Charlton Warren (DB's) and Tray(?) Scott (DL), both are whom are serious up-and-comers in the coaching world. Warren, in particular, impresses me. Saw him speak at a Ram's Club function in Atlanta earlier this month....and that guy will have our DB's playing so much better than Disch/Koenning had them playing. I'm pumped.

Yes he will. I don't think it all can be done by the middle of this coming season. But I expect the 2016 D to be tough and smart, and have good depth.

Eh, I might be willing to give him a year or two beyond that, assuming we continue to see improvement. UNC gets FSU in 2016 and Louisville in 2017, so the win total alone might not tell the whole story.

Speaking of schedules, Illinois is the only OOC game on the 2016 slate right now. I wonder when we find out who the other 3 opponents will be?
Also speaking of schedules, people keep anointing 2016 as "our year" but I keep meaning to make this counterpoint......the schedule.

If you haven't looked at our 2016 slate, you should probably take a gander at it:

- vs. Georgia in a (non-)neutral site.
- at Miami
- at Florida State
- at Illinois

...the schedule is going to be a bear. Don't play in Kenan until (presumably) the 17th of September.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Also speaking of schedules, people keep anointing 2016 as "our year" but I keep meaning to make this counterpoint......the schedule.

If you haven't looked at our 2016 slate, you should probably take a gander at it:

- vs. Georgia in a (non-)neutral site.
- at Miami
- at Florida State
- at Illinois

...the schedule is going to be a bear. Don't play in Kenan until (presumably) the 17th of September.

That is the kind of schedule that makes the best coaches and the hardest working players anxious to get started. And wqhne you do well, you earn respect.

Assuming the staff stays together a second year, we should have everything in place for 2016 to make a big splash.

The killer nature of the schedule is the best way to understand why I say that all things being roughly equal, this year we shoukd play non-seniors over seniors. We need as experienced a team in 2015 as we can get, and if that team does well, UNC football is back on the national map.

Eh, I might be willing to give him a year or two beyond that, assuming we continue to see improvement. UNC gets FSU in 2016 and Louisville in 2017, so the win total alone might not tell the whole story.

It may not. But after a afew years, a coach who has not delivered loses much of his abaility to recruit. The kids no longer can believe his talk about winning big while they would be at the school. Fedora will probably be at that point in Dec. 2016 if we have not shown better than 8-4.

That is the kind of schedule that makes the best coaches and the hardest working players anxious to get started. And wqhne you do well, you earn respect.

Assuming the staff stays together a second year, we should have everything in place for 2016 to make a big splash.

The killer nature of the schedule is the best way to understand why I say that all things being roughly equal, this year we shoukd play non-seniors over seniors. We need as experienced a team in 2015 as we can get, and if that team does well, UNC football is back on the national map.

Disagree that we'll have everything in place to make a big splash. For one thing, unless something unexpected happens this season, we'll have a moderately inexperienced QB (Trubisky) at best or a completely green QB (Henderson, Byrd, Ratliff) to start the season...which again, begins vs. Georgia in the Georgia Dome.

Disagree that we'll have everything in place to make a big splash. For one thing, unless something unexpected happens this season, we'll have a moderately inexperienced QB (Trubisky) at best or a completely green QB (Henderson, Byrd, Ratliff) to start the season...which again, begins vs. Georgia in the Georgia Dome.
we don't know who will be inexperienced until this season plays out.

OIf everything else is in place, a talented QB with some experience will do just fine. Trubisky picked up very important pracrice time this past Spring, and if he gets on the field more this fall, as he should even if Williams has learned how to find the open 2nd or even 3rd receiver in the route, then Trubisky will be more than ready to take the starting job on a 2016 team that can win the ACC.

Y'all guys trip me out. If Roy has a bad season. Like some of the year last year.yall come out with 100 reasons why. Like it hasn't been easy to recruit with the black cloud of the NCAA hovering over the program. But Fed gets no breaks and his program was on probation with schollie reductions. Yeah the d sucked last year. But some of that has to do with the scheme and the coaches teaching it. But lack of depth doesn't help either. So unless this season really tanks. I still believe he will get to coach until the end of the 17 season. Just for the fact he has never got to play with a full deck.

Reactions: Beaverdam Tiger
Y'all guys trip me out. If Roy has a bad season. Like some of the year last year.yall come out with 100 reasons why. Like it hasn't been easy to recruit with the black cloud of the NCAA hovering over the program. But Fed gets no breaks and his program was on probation with schollie reductions. Yeah the d sucked last year. But some of that has to do with the scheme and the coaches teaching it. But lack of depth doesn't help either. So unless this season really tanks. I still believe he will get to coach until the end of the 17 season. Just for the fact he has never got to play with a full deck.
Yep, he'll absolutely get all 7 years of his contract (so through 2018 season) unless he leaves to go somewhere else or notches 3 wins or less in a season.

Reactions: bobby121567
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT